Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I have had an interesting, varied and fulfilling career path, that would not have been possible without the fine liberal arts education that I received.
How would it not have been possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

As the daughter and wife of veterans, I find this statement highly offensive.
I agree.

I absolutely loved Solitarys Thrush's post except for that one inappropriate remark. Its a shame because he/she really added great and clear input.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
Sorry for upsetting you, I went a little too far. I have friends and family who have served: some by choice, others were chosen.

The point I was trying to make in that paragraph is that, with the stigma of trade schools and blue-collar jobs, and with the endless rut that comes with growing up working-poor, people feel like they don't have much choice. Go to a 4-year-school because everyone else is doing it, or work until they think of something else. Eventually they learn that the jobs they're qualified for don't pay much, and the realization that they need practical skills often comes too late. I've been in that boat, and I know how inescapable life working 12-hour shifts in dead-end, low-pay jobs can feel . . . multiply that by a lot of years or a couple of generations, and there you go.

For a lot of kids, especially ones who don't have much future in their towns or communities, the military is a way to have some structure, earn some money, maybe make a career out of it, and work toward their future. As a staunch pacifist, though---this thread isn't the time or the place for a discussion on that---I'd like to see people feel they have more of a choice, and I wish people could appreciate the sacrifice, discipline, and hard work that comes in fields outside the military, too. But for a lot of reasons, the military looks the most attractive option, and I don't really think getting more armed and militarized is best for our country and its place in the world. I'd rather see these men, women, and families making a difference at home.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
How would it not have been possible?

Oh where to begin...because a liberal arts education was a prerequisite for these positions.

The fields in which I have worked and continue to work did not require a background or an aptitude for the STEM subjects. They are irrelevant in certain fields.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Oh where to begin...because a liberal arts education was a prerequisite for these positions.

The fields in which I have worked and continue to work did not require a background or an aptitude for the STEM subjects. They are irrelevant in certain fields.
Why not begin with the jobs you have had that required a liberal arts degree?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,336 times
Thats what I hate about college. People always say college equals a better payng job. I know people with college degrees that have low wage paying jobs because they couldnt find anything in their field or they are going back to school for a second degree because of their current job dissatisfaction. I have been in school for almost six years now struggling to find a career that I want to do. I have FINALLY found something. I wish there were more on the job training programs or that trade schools werent looked down on. I think it all comes down to snobbery/elitism. That reminds me of my ex who would rub it in my face that he has a college degree. Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Why not begin with the jobs you have had that required a liberal arts degree?
All of them.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
All of them.
That few?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Thats what I hate about college. People always say college equals a better payng job. I know people with college degrees that have low wage paying jobs because they couldnt find anything in their field or they are going back to school for a second degree because of their current job dissatisfaction. I have been in school for almost six years now struggling to find a career that I want to do. I have FINALLY found something. I wish there were more on the job training programs or that trade schools werent looked down on. I think it all comes down to snobbery/elitism. That reminds me of my ex who would rub it in my face that he has a college degree. Good for you. Do you want a cookie?
Maybe it is their personality or or lack of common sense that keeps these people in low paying positions?

Academia does have a lot of snobbery/elitism built in to the system.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
Well the stats don't lie though. There will always be exceptions to the rule. More examples now with down economy and for profit schools giving out degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities