Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's a strange question. What does my husband do for a living? Quaint.
Ya, I bet he isn't an artist (or in some other field from a fluffy academic discipline that normally doesn't land decent paying jobs) and if he was you probably wouldn't have married him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Actually, engineers do take writing courses at a number of schools.

College of Engineering - Valparaiso University

Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
However, liberal arts and social science students are not just asked to learn ABOUT SCIENCE and MATH, they are expected to perform mathematical problems!
Oh my GOD Say it ain't so! Eeeek!

Students in the 21st century having to learn some math...truly horrific.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You can also study electrical engineering, computer science, math, physics etc. at the library. You can study anything at the library.. yourself.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you most certainly can do that. Of course, at many 'larger' tech companies (and most of the start-ups), without that sheepskin from a list of 'approved' universities, you resume goes right into the circular file. I have hired enough individuals to fully support that statement.

(Though, I have had individuals jump careers at companies, where one was hired as a tech writer, as she majored in Journalism, and ultimately became of of my top programmers). With EE's it happens all the time that they jump to software. But in all cases, they had to have the degrees first to make it through the door.

People need to be realistic. Acting may be your life passion, but the average actor/actress makes $5K a year in the field, and waits tables to survive. Your 'passion' and 'ability to be financially secure' in this world may be at odds. Growing up, I was always told 'find a marketable skill that you love'. Rings true. Geez, my grandmother graduated from college and was a math teacher in 1913.
One statement I often heard from my parents, when seeing someone pursue a 'passion' and get a degree that has little marketability was 'perhaps they will marry well'.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Actually, you are very wrong. The computational problems in required university math classes (ie calculus I) are no more reflective of serious mathematics than are intro art history readings reflective of artistic creation.

Calculus I in university? Geez, we did that in 11th grade. Not sure about what caliber of schools you are referencing.

Your posts are not a stirring endorsement of the liberal arts education as a broadening experience. That claim is not the truth; it is your opinion. A perfectly defensible opinion, to be sure, but not a statement of fact.

I don't think the intent was to endorse 'broadening', it was the intent to state 'employability'.

I had a hard-core engineering and management education. Didn't really need to be able to even spell. Now, in my early 40's, I can now have a massively broadening experience. Why look at pictures of famous artwork, sculptures, architectures, documents, etc, when you can go see them in person? I can read, constantly about everything that they would every teach you in liberal arts classes (and even take them, if I choose to do so). I haven't attempted the Harvard Classics yet, but they are on a bookshelf. Yeah, I learned all the types of sentences, and their decompositions, and all the declensions in latin, and the famous artists... but that is purely for fun, as no one would ever give me a job just knowing that. Grammar, rhetoric and logic can all be learned outside the classroom, more easily than some of the sciences that need complex, expensive equipment and access to labs. Music is wonderful... I have a sound studio here.... but I don't play, and would never be able to support myself if I did. Theater... don't even get me started.

Don't get me wrong, there are many, many good jobs available for LA grads. I just was taught, make the money first with your marketable passion, then you can go do whatever is your ultimate passion.
mine in red

Old 03-03-2012, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 26,278 times
Well, i think it really depends on the person, but it seems to me that alof of non-liberal arts majors have problems with communications especially when it comes to writing. I think it kinda sucks because intellectualism and writing and "the arts" are just not respected anymore. I grew up in the era where one could major in English and get a job in business. It is a concern that I usually have heard people who have majored in the more "technical" discipline and they cannot even write a simple two-page essay. I just wish things were different and that having a degree would allow one to get their foot in the door whether it be Art, English, or History because in the end, most people end up learning by on the job training anyway.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost2u View Post
Well, i think it really depends on the person, but it seems to me that alof of non-liberal arts majors have problems with communications especially when it comes to writing. I think it kinda sucks because intellectualism and writing and "the arts" are just not respected anymore. I grew up in the era where one could major in English and get a job in business. It is a concern that I usually have heard people who have majored in the more "technical" discipline and they cannot even write a simple two-page essay. I just wish things were different and that having a degree would allow one to get their foot in the door whether it be Art, English, or History because in the end, most people end up learning by on the job training anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Companies are not educators (for the most part). They want someone to come in through the front door knowing what they are doing.
Software engineering is a hot field now (and has been ever since a got out of school a long time ago). You may be able to tell me all about the Gallic wars, or give details about the French impressionists, or correct me when I use 'who' when I should have used 'whom', but when I ask you to debug an exception error resulting in a machine check, and you give me a blank stare, or ask you to use a CAD program, or show me your flow cytology skills, or any of 100 other technical skills, etc, etc .... well....

You can 'wish', but hope is not a strategy.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
An education should provide you with the skills to earn a living and exposure to subjects that you enjoy for the sake of learning about them.

If the cost of the education results in a mountain of debt that leaves you no time to spend on doing things for fun because you have to work too hard to repay it, then, no, you have not received a good return on the money invested in that education.

And if the degree you choose to pursue leaves you without the skills to earn a living, that is a poor investment, too, whether you have any debts or not. You will be stuck in a low paying job with the time to pursue other interests, but no money with which to do it.

No education at all --- and a vocational education is an education --- will leave you working long hours for low pay with neither time nor money for leisure activities.

You do have to decide if what you spend on educational expenses can put you in the category of reasonable debt, a career that you enjoy, a satisfactory salary, and time and resources for activities away from work. That is the best return on investment you can have.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:19 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
^^This post implies that studying "electrical engineering" is not as knowledgeable as studying something like philosophy.

Electrical Engineering definitely forces you to think outside the box, think logically, and be creative

Just because it is governed by science, doesn't mean it isn't creative and intellectually stimulating like the subjects you mention above.

I was originally an English/Philosophy major who switched to Engineering because I realized that the two subjects I started out studying were simply hobbies and not careers. You don't need to major in those subjects to write, read, or enjoy literature. It was the best decision I ever made.

I know a few Art majors from prestigious universities who are miserable working low-wage jobs at places like Target and Walmart. They often tell me "usually I have enough money for rent, sometimes I have to skip meals because I can't afford it." Does that sound like a great, "thought provoking" way of life? College only lasts 4 years, but working minimum wage crappy jobs lasts a lifetime. Trust me, I've worked over 6 minimum wage crappy jobs in my life, they are not fun.

If he is dead set on "Art" I would advise him to get his teaching certificate as well so he can have a job that pays a living wage.
It implies nothing of the sort. EE is a fine major if that is your talent and what you love.

However, I am getting a bit sick of hearing that my major, my husbands and now my son's are "silly" "stupid" "worthless" and "unnecessary" No change a "bit sick" to "furious".

I don't suffer fools lightly, and when people make sweeping statements about a major that they are more than likely bad at, it sounds foolish.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
^^This post implies that studying "electrical engineering" is not as knowledgeable as studying something like philosophy.

Electrical Engineering definitely forces you to think outside the box, think logically, and be creative

Just because it is governed by science, doesn't mean it isn't creative and intellectually stimulating like the subjects you mention above.

I was originally an English/Philosophy major who switched to Engineering because I realized that the two subjects I started out studying were simply hobbies and not careers. You don't need to major in those subjects to write, read, or enjoy literature. It was the best decision I ever made.

I know a few Art majors from prestigious universities who are miserable working low-wage jobs at places like Target and Walmart. They often tell me "usually I have enough money for rent, sometimes I have to skip meals because I can't afford it." Does that sound like a great, "thought provoking" way of life? College only lasts 4 years, but working minimum wage crappy jobs lasts a lifetime. Trust me, I've worked over 6 minimum wage crappy jobs in my life, they are not fun.

If he is dead set on "Art" I would advise him to get his teaching certificate as well so he can have a job that pays a living wage.
I am dead set on what my son is dead set on, ART. There is no argument here. He is not teaching high school or elementary school. Funny I don't recall asking for advice...

He intends to obtain an MFA, the terminal degree in his major. (i.e. the PhD in his field. We intend to also invest in a gallery. We love his work and we believe in him.

OH and by the way, college does not "only last four years" for people who want to really learn. I will not be advising a teaching certificate for either of my children.

My great grandmothers were teachers. In NYC if a woman married back then one was forced to quit.

They did and two went on to Columbia University to earn PhDs.

Learning ENDs when YOU WANT IT TO END.

"The truly educated never graduate" ( not sure who's quote this is, but it can be purchased at northernlights.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities