Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You better tell The Universities of Kentucky and Louisville BOTH that then, cause they both have excellent reciprocal relationships with the KCTCS community college systems, and redily accept credits from there for ANY program.

Maybe it's different where you are, but here in the Bluegrass our two major Uni's accept CC credits for any program with no issues. Especially since the KCTCS system used to be a part of the UK extension system.
Again, we are talking MEDICAL schools, not UG schools. Sure, the medical schools SAY they accept the credits, the reality is that medical school acceptance is VERY competitive and individual experiences from people applying to medical schools on the student doctor forums indicates that a big reason for being denied entry into medical school is taking pre-reqs at a community college. If you want to take the chance, by all means do, that just saves more space for the kids that don't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Could you go to school and become a dental assistant ? Just to see if you like the position ,and proceed from that point to your dream ?

Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Again, we are talking MEDICAL schools, not UG schools. Sure, the medical schools SAY they accept the credits, the reality is that medical school acceptance is VERY competitive and individual experiences from people applying to medical schools on the student doctor forums indicates that a big reason for being denied entry into medical school is taking pre-reqs at a community college. If you want to take the chance, by all means do, that just saves more space for the kids that don't...
or perhaps (on the aggregate) those that have to start out at a CC are less qualified/weaker students to begin with

Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
According to the student/doctor forum I looked at, the preponderance of evidence from students already IN medical school is about 5-1 in favor of medical schools accepting CC credits. I quoted two of them in a previous post. Some of these students recommend, as the schools do themselves, that one take some upper level science courses at their 4 year college, after taking say, Bio 101 at the CC. What is not generally accepted is AP/IB classes. If you place out of a science course by that route, you are expected to take a higher level course in its place. Several of the websites I looked at stated it was important to see how a student performed in a college-level science class, which AP/IB is not.

We all know medical school admissions are competitive.

I truly do not understand this antipathy towards CCs. The courses at CCs can be more rigorous than those at some of these small, regional colleges and universitites.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-14-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 08:11 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
I agree; using community college prerequisites just decreases your chances of getting in, especially when competing against very accomplished peers from much better schools...

Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
My guess is that if you're able to pull a 4.0 in CC, you'll be fine with those credits transferring and could still be accepted into some dental schools. But it wouldn't hurt to talk to those who actually do the selecting. When my daughter applied to pharmacy school, the school was accepting less than 5 percent of those who applied. When it gets down to that percentage being accepted, you can be sure they're getting pretty picky and eliminating applicants for any reason they can think of....

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My guess is that if you're able to pull a 4.0 in CC, you'll be fine with those credits transferring and could still be accepted into some dental schools. But it wouldn't hurt to talk to those who actually do the selecting. When my daughter applied to pharmacy school, the school was accepting less than 5 percent of those who applied. When it gets down to that percentage being accepted, you can be sure they're getting pretty picky and eliminating applicants for any reason they can think of....
Kind of like 2 of my buddies who got into pharmacy school without ever stepping foot in a 4 year university?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
or perhaps (on the aggregate) those that have to start out at a CC are less qualified/weaker students to begin with
Says who? Maybe that's all they could afford or maybe it's the only kind of school that meshes with a full-time work schedule during the day. I put myself through college at night while working full-time in the day. I transferred to a four year university after completing CC. It was harder to get classes I needed at the University at night, compared to the Community College. I graduated the four year university with zero debt and a pretty good job. I never lived in my parent's basement, either.

Let me tell you, Intro to this and Intro to that may as well be taken at a community college.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Says who? Maybe that's all they could afford or maybe it's the only kind of school that meshes with a full-time work schedule during the day. I put myself through college at night while working full-time in the day. I transferred to a four year university after completing CC. It was harder to get classes I needed at the University at night, compared to the Community College. I graduated the four year university with zero debt and a pretty good job. I never lived in my parent's basement, either.

Let me tell you, Intro to this and Intro to that may as well be taken at a community college.
i'm sure there are exceptions on a case-by-case basis (hence why i said on the aggregate), but c'mon now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities