Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

I'm going to try to say this nicely but there really is no nice way to say this, the attitude you portray on this thread makes me want to believe that it isn't the job market that is the issue here. You have been given a lot of great advice on this thread about potential careers and have found fault with each and every one of the suggestions and have resorted to name calling as well. You think being manipulative is a good thing but it is not. You come across as an arrogant kid who thinks he should be CEO right out of the gate and an entry level job is beneath you. That attitude comes across in interviews as well. Be humble, be respectful, accept an entry level job in a bigger company that has growth potential and suck it up for a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm going to try to say this nicely but there really is no nice way to say this, the attitude you portray on this thread makes me want to believe that it isn't the job market that is the issue here. You have been given a lot of great advice on this thread about potential careers and have found fault with each and every one of the suggestions and have resorted to name calling as well. You think being manipulative is a good thing but it is not. You come across as an arrogant kid who thinks he should be CEO right out of the gate and an entry level job is beneath you. That attitude comes across in interviews as well. Be humble, be respectful, accept an entry level job in a bigger company that has growth potential and suck it up for a couple years.
Duh! What the hell do you think I've been doing? When did I say I wanted to be a CEO? When did I say I wanted anything different than an entry level job? Those are the only jobs I expect to get and have applied for quite a few more today. I have listened to the advice of others on this thread and have acted on their advice. The only person who made an arrogant comment was that superman guy.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM

166 posts, read 347,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Duh! What the hell do you think I've been doing? When did I say I wanted to be a CEO? When did I say I wanted anything different than an entry level job? Those are the only jobs I expect to get and have applied for quite a few more today. I have listened to the advice of others on this thread and have acted on their advice. The only person who made an arrogant comment was that superman guy.

Hey!!! What I do?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You don't need to "try" to be nice. I dont want your fake courtesy.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I had a relative who worked for Sherwin Williams and went through their program - it's a great program for what it prepares you for and you can make an excellent living doing that work ... it's not cubicle oriented, it takes a ton of personal relationships

In fact, most jobs will boil down to relationships - even insurance jobs

For insurance you have two primary types:

Agency work - this can be any role within an insurance agency - the bright light position is as an agent - this is a sales job and requires a ton of work - you need to understand a fairly complex environment and be an advisor to your clients while working with a variety of insurance companies .... this is also commission heavy

However, there are a lot of support roles as well. From marketing (determining how you interface with the insurance companies), to contracts work, to CSR type work.

The other aspect is the company side. There are many insurance companies located in the Tampa region. The jobs could range from underwriting, to claims adjusting, service/support, premium audit, marketing, actuary, etc. Many of the major national companies offer training programs for new college graduates. These jobs are not commission based, but do require professional sales to some degree and are definitely relationship heavy as well.

If you want insurance it's definitely obtainable and a great career.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
You probably should calm down a bit and think about your longer term goals.

First, reflect what you want out of a job. 1) You want the paycheck. 2) You want the experience so you can move on to a better position.

Then just see your first job as these two things and nothing more. It doesn't matter what you do as long as it pays enough to the bills and/or leads you on the path to a better position in your career, then it's not a job that's below you.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 AM

148 posts, read 309,649 times
I think everyone here is missing this guy's intent and purpose. He is not aiming for a lofty $80K/year job straight out of the gate. The guy is saying that he would like a decent, subsistence level job at the entry level - this is not out of the question for someone who went to a decent, not elite, university, did ok, and spent four years of their life. It is not unreasonable to want a job other than retail or sales. Expecting a job around $30K with a business major from a standard state university is not outlandish.

Granted, not many people are in a position to be choosy these days, especially someone starting at the bottom; but don't knock the guy for simply having a preference in the type of field he wants to enter and his expectations. I can see if he were saying "I don't want any job doesn't come with a corner office and my own personal secretary" but that is not the case here.

So, all of you need to get off of your high-horses and stop bashing the kid and being so condescending and pessimistic.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:39 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Quote:
Since when did sales jobs become the number one form of employment after college? I graduated from a large and relatively well known university (University of South Florida) and 80% of the job openings that are posted on their career connections website are sales related. I notice similar job openings at the career fairs on campus.

Are any other recent college grads seeing this trend? I absolutely abhor sales and if I had known that was my only career path after graduation I would have never gone to school.
Sales is not the only option for you. Business Management is a broad degree and you can enter many fields. One thing that my adviser from school informed me about that degree is that if you want to advance an MBA will increase you chances. I graduated with a BBA in Accounting and most of my friends with Business Management degrees have taken the route in the banking, energy and health care, but that our economy here in Texas.

I'm not familiar with the economy in Florida but I'm sure tourism is very big there. Have you ever though about going into Hotel or Travel Management?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaku View Post
I think everyone here is missing this guy's intent and purpose. He is not aiming for a lofty $80K/year job straight out of the gate. The guy is saying that he would like a decent, subsistence level job at the entry level - this is not out of the question for someone who went to a decent, not elite, university, did ok, and spent four years of their life. It is not unreasonable to want a job other than retail or sales. Expecting a job around $30K with a business major from a standard state university is not outlandish.

Granted, not many people are in a position to be choosy these days, especially someone starting at the bottom; but don't knock the guy for simply having a preference in the type of field he wants to enter and his expectations. I can see if he were saying "I don't want any job doesn't come with a corner office and my own personal secretary" but that is not the case here.

So, all of you need to get off of your high-horses and stop bashing the kid and being so condescending and pessimistic.
He has been given plenty of VERY good advice and chooses not to listen. When you ask for advice and people give it, it's generally good form to say thank you and listen to what they say vs calling people names and copping an attitude....

Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
will say the job market for recent grad here in FL is rough and you have to take what you can get. basically.

or move to a better economy state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities