Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, how many would pick a different college if you could do it again? I put no work into choosing at all. Glanced at a bunch of brochures that looked cool, took a road trip looping to all the colleges I was considering between junior and senior year with a friend, crossed off ALL those colleges, and only applied to a local private university which was commutable from home. It was a continuation of high school, since most of my high school and the neighboring public schools ended up there as well. Oh, well, it felt like it wasn't college. I was restless the first 2 years. I buckled down later, and did very well the last 2 years.

Would have probably gone to a public state university with a larger enrollment in another warm weather state. I always thought I would have liked the University of Florida.

Your story? Do it the same or do it differently?
I never second-guess decisions I made when I was younger. I trust the decisions my younger self made and these led me to where I am today. I went to a private Midwestern university, and although there were some aspects of it that I didn't like, today I still have dreams about certain aspects of the experience that positively impacted my development. No, I wouldn't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,172 times
Knowing what I know now, I would have gone to the university that I'm at right now right out of high school rather than go to the big state school and not be able to get into their top-ranked business school. Due to the decision I made, its going to take me an extra year to finish my dual major as supposed to taking a semester or being done in the summer of 2012.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I was accepted to several Ivy League schools but I opted for a lower price education.

I paid for all of my college education and it was tough. I paid a few hundred every month and accrued $128,000 in school debt. It is now paid in full.

An Ivy League education such as Univ of Penn or Stanford or Princeton would cost me 2-3 times what I paid.

I believe that I was searching for a good college without the splash of a high priced education. Doing it again an Ivy League school would be better for me because ther were a lot of courses easy and I received an A without a problem...I love a challenge...

MY brother is currently attending an OnLine College and his course work is tough. He has to do a 450 word compisition every week and wubmit a portion of team work. His team must submit a 750 word compitsion using the professor's subject and he must read a full text every 6 weeks...

I do like On Line schools.
This isn't likely. Maybe your parents are very rich and they didn't want to pay for any of it. The average debt from top private schools is very low. The average debt upon graduation from Stanford for example is 15k.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, how many would pick a different college if you could do it again? I put no work into choosing at all. Glanced at a bunch of brochures that looked cool, took a road trip looping to all the colleges I was considering between junior and senior year with a friend, crossed off ALL those colleges, and only applied to a local private university which was commutable from home. It was a continuation of high school, since most of my high school and the neighboring public schools ended up there as well. Oh, well, it felt like it wasn't college. I was restless the first 2 years. I buckled down later, and did very well the last 2 years.

Would have probably gone to a public state university with a larger enrollment in another warm weather state. I always thought I would have liked the University of Florida.

Your story? Do it the same or do it differently?
You probably would have loved it, I did.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
I went to school for a year and then enlisted (had the grades, I decided I wanted to enlist rather than be an officer)

Took me 10 years and 6-7 schools, but I got my degree and a start on a masters

Got the paper... School doesn't matter.

Now I'm working a job making about 2.5x what my classmates are making (and I like it) that has NOTHING to do with the useless piece of paper...

I'll probably get my masters just because, don't have the time at the moment.

It's a box to be checked, the checkmark is the degree.
Get it and move on.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM

59 posts, read 149,964 times
Looking back I don't regret the big state school I went, just that I wasted some time not knowing what I wanted to do sooner. And when you change majors, you'll tend to lose credits = losing money and time. College is an investment in your life. In theory, the higher your education, the more money you'll make. I like how people use the "bill gates" example for the lack of need to go to school. Obviously, somebody didn't do their homework. Sorry..I digress....

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM

59 posts, read 149,964 times
Unless you can get a superior education for less money out of your pocket by attending an Ivy vs. State Univ., you're better off with the state university, or whatever is close by to home that will meet your needs. Why pay $50k/yr at X-school vs. $25k/yr at Y-school to get the same degree? I doubt your first job out out college you will make 2x graduating from X-school.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 635911 View Post
Unless you can get a superior education for less money out of your pocket by attending an Ivy vs. State Univ., you're better off with the state university, or whatever is close by to home that will meet your needs. Why pay $50k/yr at X-school vs. $25k/yr at Y-school to get the same degree? I doubt your first job out out college you will make 2x graduating from X-school.
blah blah this is beat to death on here but better schools have better financial aid. unless your parents are rich and you can afford it anyway you will not be spending more at the ivy. its not an ivy, but when i got my financial aid letters back from all of the schools i applied to it was going to cost the exact same to go to uva, william and mary, or duke.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I chose pretty carefully and was very happy with my choice (small private liberal arts college). It was a great school for me. I don't thrive in huge university-type settings; I would do it the same, given the chance.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Embry-Riddle Prescott for Aero Engineering

I absolutely LOVED my time there, and would, without a doubt, do it over again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities