Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

So, how many would pick a different college if you could do it again? I put no work into choosing at all. Glanced at a bunch of brochures that looked cool, took a road trip looping to all the colleges I was considering between junior and senior year with a friend, crossed off ALL those colleges, and only applied to a local private university which was commutable from home. It was a continuation of high school, since most of my high school and the neighboring public schools ended up there as well. Oh, well, it felt like it wasn't college. I was restless the first 2 years. I buckled down later, and did very well the last 2 years.

Would have probably gone to a public state university with a larger enrollment in another warm weather state. I always thought I would have liked the University of Florida.

Your story? Do it the same or do it differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Certain circumstances dictated where I went to college. It was the closest college to my parents and my parents were both ill at the time and wanted me to stay close to home. It was a small private school.

After finishing, I am very glad that I went there. My parents were very glad that I went there. Everything worked out. I liked the experience so much that I hope my future kids will go there as well. Do it same for sure.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
I loved my college. It was a small liberal arts college that tended to attract fairly wealthy hippie/new age kids. It was also a place where you were really in charge of what you got out of it.

I am very glad I went there.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
I was accepted to several Ivy League schools but I opted for a lower price education.

I paid for all of my college education and it was tough. I paid a few hundred every month and accrued $128,000 in school debt. It is now paid in full.

An Ivy League education such as Univ of Penn or Stanford or Princeton would cost me 2-3 times what I paid.

I believe that I was searching for a good college without the splash of a high priced education. Doing it again an Ivy League school would be better for me because ther were a lot of courses easy and I received an A without a problem...I love a challenge...

MY brother is currently attending an OnLine College and his course work is tough. He has to do a 450 word compisition every week and wubmit a portion of team work. His team must submit a 750 word compitsion using the professor's subject and he must read a full text every 6 weeks...

I do like On Line schools.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:16 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,977 times
U.C Santa Barbara - my only regret is leaving.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:40 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, how many would pick a different college if you could do it again? I put no work into choosing at all. Glanced at a bunch of brochures that looked cool, took a road trip looping to all the colleges I was considering between junior and senior year with a friend, crossed off ALL those colleges, and only applied to a local private university which was commutable from home. It was a continuation of high school, since most of my high school and the neighboring public schools ended up there as well. Oh, well, it felt like it wasn't college. I was restless the first 2 years. I buckled down later, and did very well the last 2 years.

Would have probably gone to a public state university with a larger enrollment in another warm weather state. I always thought I would have liked the University of Florida.

Your story? Do it the same or do it differently?
I chose the opposite - big university far from home. Wish I'd gone smaller, cheaper, and not been so choosy. I actually passed on a really nice small college in order to go someplace big and prestigious, and ended up hating it. I think it's one of those things where the grass is always greener. If I had gone to the smaller school, I'd probably be wondering what if I'd gone to the larger one.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
University of Pittsburgh... would do it all over again!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would do it differently in a heartbeat. I had no guidance about college and no financial help. I went to a very large, commuter school that was a branch of the states largest university. There was no campus life, because very few people actually lived on or even near campus. Everyone just went to class, then bolted for the car as quick as they could. I hated it.

I wanted to go to the really big, main campus, in another city, but at the very last minute, my folks told me they would not help me financially. I had already been accepted, was working on getting my dorm arrangements made when my dad asked me "how you planning on paying for this?" He then informed me they weren't paying for any of it. I was crushed. Kind of weird because my going to college had always been discussed and they had always led me to believe they were paying for it. My parents were very old school and didn't think it was really important for a girl to go to college. They just assumed girls went to college to find a husband, like my mom had done. I had no knowledge of the loans that might be available and while I was a decent student in high school, I also had no knowledge of how to go about applying for scholarships and by the time they told me they wouldn't help financially it was too late anyway.

So I ended up living at home, driving 50 miles round trip everyday to go to class, and working close to full time in order to pay for it. That lasted for a couple of years, until I just couldn't take it anymore and ended up quitting and just working full time. I went back and finished my degree many years later after I was married and had kids.

Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten loans and financial aid and found a way to get my education. Also I would have chosen to attend my states other major university, not the one I wanted to attend in high school.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
i was debating going to our state school and i would have had friends there and i prob would have fit in better, but in the end i got a better financial aid package at a better school anyway so i made the choice based off of that. if i could do it all over again i dont think i would make a different choice, but it would be interesting to know what that college experience would have been like. i would definitely do more extracurriculars in school, though, if i could go back in time. i did not take full advantage of everything offered to me.

Last edited by brocco; 03-23-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I was accepted to several Ivy League schools but I opted for a lower price education.

I paid for all of my college education and it was tough. I paid a few hundred every month and accrued $128,000 in school debt. It is now paid in full.

An Ivy League education such as Univ of Penn or Stanford or Princeton would cost me 2-3 times what I paid.

I believe that I was searching for a good college without the splash of a high priced education. Doing it again an Ivy League school would be better for me because ther were a lot of courses easy and I received an A without a problem...I love a challenge...

MY brother is currently attending an OnLine College and his course work is tough. He has to do a 450 word compisition every week and wubmit a portion of team work. His team must submit a 750 word compitsion using the professor's subject and he must read a full text every 6 weeks...

I do like On Line schools.
you didn't get a financial aid package?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities