Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
My point is simply saying that the majority of those that I know of that go to Hofstra go because of its Jewish student population. I thought that was clear.

But if we're going to talk about relevance; how is it relevant that Hofstra is the best private university on Long Island? Neither St. John's University or Wagner College are on Long Island so the OP is obviously open to other suggestions.
I was wondering this myself. I thought that maybe the OP was referring to Wagner and St. Johns in Staten Island. The two campuses are right next to one another there. Otherwise, I don't see where Wagner even comes into to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:33 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyManMan View Post
I was going to post this in the thread about "is this a good college" but it did not seem fitting so I will make a question.

Which has the better reputation?
The quality of the education means very little this days, that being said, if your intended purpose is simply to get a job, then I'd say St. Johns, Wagner and then Hofstra in that order. They are all about the same caliber academically, but St. Johns simply has greater name recognition.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I was answering questions original poster, who initially wanted to know how the respective rankings of Wagner, St. John's and Hoftra where, and how they were perceived. i.e." Name recognition"He did not enquirer about Adelphi until later.
Endersdrift brought up the whole "go Jewish thing". The OP did not enquire about Jewish students, so I didn't ask.

Here are the stats - Hoftra, and St John's are nationally ranked universities. Wagner is a regionally ranked college.
Hofsta ranks 128 - ranked more selective
St John ranks 152 - ranked selective

Wagner College (reguioal) 21 selective

Hofsta
is a private institution with no religious affiliation

St. John's is affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church

Wagner is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)

The statistics I have provided are US New and World Report "Best Colleges 2012"

I think St John's "reputation" is from two things - their basket ball team, which has nothing to do with academics, and high profile sports. Also, among Catholics it might be more of a house hold word.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The quality of the education means very little this days, that being said, if your intended purpose is simply to get a job, then I'd say St. Johns, Wagner and then Hofstra in that order. They are all about the same caliber academically, but St. Johns simply has greater name recognition.
I do not believe this is true any more. St. John's used to be well-known because of its basketball team, but no longer have such a high profile BB program.

Hofstra hosted one of the Obama-McCain presidential debates last presidential election and will host another presidential candidate debate this coming fall. Also, for some reason, they have a whole bunch of famous alumni in the TV/Film/Broadway industries, although I never heard that there was anything spectacular about their drama/television programs. And for whatever that's worth, David Paterson is also an alumni.

Adelphi U. gets some nonacademic name recognition because they host at least one major speaker each year (Elie Weisel, Jane Goodall)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Adelphi's proximity ti NYC is also helpful in obtaining speakers of that caliber.

I would say that Hofstra is the best out of the three, but everything in that area is over rated and over priced.

The person I know who went there to this day wished that he's gone to Syracuce, but feels that he got an adequate education.

Once a school is on the Spots Radar, it's reputation dies hard, and I think that's the case with SJU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities