Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 AM

500 posts, read 568,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
How did you break into getting a GIS job? Did you have internship experience? From the two GIS classes I took this semester, I found that I really enjoyed it. I am sure doing it as a job is not the same though, is it?
Yes, I did do an internship and ended up getting a job at the same place. This was also over 10 years ago when the economy wasn't as bad as now so that might have helped. But I recommend doing an internship.

I found working in GIS to be more fun than taking classes in it. But I took classes over a decade ago and things might be taught differently now. A typical class for me involved the instructor giving you some data and assigning a task. On the job, data issues arise much more often as no one is there to hand it to you. You have to figure out where to get it or collect it yourself, how accurate it is, reproject it, etc. There's a lot of figuring out stuff and coming up with your own solutions. It's a good job for someone who likes solving complicated problems. There are also a lot of interesting open source packages available now which I never had a chance to learn in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM

192 posts, read 323,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Yes, I did do an internship and ended up getting a job at the same place. This was also over 10 years ago when the economy wasn't as bad as now so that might have helped. But I recommend doing an internship.

I found working in GIS to be more fun than taking classes in it. But I took classes over a decade ago and things might be taught differently now. A typical class for me involved the instructor giving you some data and assigning a task. On the job, data issues arise much more often as no one is there to hand it to you. You have to figure out where to get it or collect it yourself, how accurate it is, reproject it, etc. There's a lot of figuring out stuff and coming up with your own solutions. It's a good job for someone who likes solving complicated problems. There are also a lot of interesting open source packages available now which I never had a chance to learn in school.
I am looking for, and hopefully find an internship with something GIS related this summer. I enjoyed the classes, but even today they sound like what you are describing. One class though, I had to do a project where I had tons of issues trying to use an Excel database with ArcGIS. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed having to solve it to where I could get it to work and complete my project.

Do you see many job listings out there for entry level GIS jobs? I have looked and seen few so far.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:21 PM

I am still undecided as ever when I first posted this thread. I have decided that I am going to spend the rest of the year focusing on building my GIS skills to hopefully find a job in the field, but I have my doubts in finding a job anytime soon once I am supposed to graduate at the end of the year.

This doubt is making me think perhaps I should double major, and probably in advertising. Any feedback whether this would be a good or bad idea would be appreciated.

I am still also thinking about the masters for library school option, but I am really undecided about it.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,408,258 times
Try Digital Globe in Longmont, CO I know a bunch of GIS people who work or worked there. Try to get work experience before taking on any more schooling or debt. Try to get on with an employer who might pay for your continued schooling too. The military is a big user of GIS services too, not that I'm suggesting you sign up, but it's always a thought. There have to be civilian jobs near Camp Pendleton or down here in San Diego at SPAWAR or something. You may have to move, this is the new depression and you should be moving towards the jobs, wherever they are.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Try Digital Globe in Longmont, CO I know a bunch of GIS people who work or worked there. Try to get work experience before taking on any more schooling or debt. Try to get on with an employer who might pay for your continued schooling too. The military is a big user of GIS services too, not that I'm suggesting you sign up, but it's always a thought. There have to be civilian jobs near Camp Pendleton or down here in San Diego at SPAWAR or something. You may have to move, this is the new depression and you should be moving towards the jobs, wherever they are.
Thanks, I will keep those places in mind when looking for GIS jobs. Is there any other hotspots for GIS jobs in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities