Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,356 times

Advertisements

So I am currently trying to get as much information as I can regarding accounting and an accounting career. I graduated with an BBA already and I am having trouble 1. finding a job 2. find a job that I enjoy. I got a job out of college as a claims adjuster for an insurance company and hated it, mostly due to the sheer volume of case load and having to constantly argue and be in conflicts with customers. Needless to say I recently quit my job and I am doing some soul searching. Terrified to put myself in the same situation and realizing that a general degree wont get you too far these days, I have been taking some time to consider my current position. I have been doing a lot of research on different career paths and have taken numerous personality tests. After doing this, the conclusion I am being drawn to is accounting. I have researched into the accounting field and I have developed a plan to start an accounting career. There is a MS accountancy program at my local university and the big 4, and other firms, heavily recruit from this program. This program also includes a 4 month paid internship, is only a year long, would obviously not require me to relocated, and is fairly cheap (compared to a lot of graduate programs).

So, I have a few questions for people who are in the accounting field or who have accounting knowledge. 1. Does this plan seem like a decent way to go? 2. Although I have taken a years worth of accounting in undergrad and several personality tests have strongly recommended accounting as a career, how do I know its right for me? I know that the most common response will likely be "only you will know" or something along those lines. However, if you HAD to make suggestions on how one would know if accounting is right for them, what would you say? I just want to make sure that I dont do all the prereqs, take the gmat, write a personal statement, pay 30+k and spend a year of my time going toward something only to find out a year into the actual work.."oh yea..this isnt for me"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Unfortunately many places like ours require 5 years experience for the lowest level accounting positions. We do, however, sometimes hire graduate interns (paid) but they have to be enrolled in a
graduate school for the fall to qualify for that summer. Local branches of some of the big firms do hire right out of college but seem to prefer the highest GPA graduates from the local University of Washington.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,209,625 times
Find a cheaper graduate school. You can get an MS in Accounting around here for 16,000 or so out the door.

The return on investment for that loan is poor, especially if you have other debts.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 6,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Find a cheaper graduate school. You can get an MS in Accounting around here for 16,000 or so out the door.

The return on investment for that loan is poor, especially if you have other debts.

Really? I looked was only able to find a couple ms accounting degree programs where I live and they were typically about 40k, and they didn't include a paid internship so I thought 30k (technically 29 but that doesn't include books) was a relatively good find. Additionally, that is 30k total because I wouldn't have to relocate. So if I was somehow able to locate a 16k program the cost of having to relocate would bump the cost up I imagine. Just out of curiosity where are these programs?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
I'm doing a online MS Accounting program with Southern New Hampshire. It's about $20k total but I have tuition reimbursement on my side.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma86 View Post
So I am currently trying to get as much information as I can regarding accounting and an accounting career. I graduated with an BBA already and I am having trouble 1. finding a job 2. find a job that I enjoy. I got a job out of college as a claims adjuster for an insurance company and hated it, mostly due to the sheer volume of case load and having to constantly argue and be in conflicts with customers. Needless to say I recently quit my job and I am doing some soul searching. Terrified to put myself in the same situation and realizing that a general degree wont get you too far these days, I have been taking some time to consider my current position. I have been doing a lot of research on different career paths and have taken numerous personality tests. After doing this, the conclusion I am being drawn to is accounting. I have researched into the accounting field and I have developed a plan to start an accounting career. There is a MS accountancy program at my local university and the big 4, and other firms, heavily recruit from this program. This program also includes a 4 month paid internship, is only a year long, would obviously not require me to relocated, and is fairly cheap (compared to a lot of graduate programs).

So, I have a few questions for people who are in the accounting field or who have accounting knowledge. 1. Does this plan seem like a decent way to go? 2. Although I have taken a years worth of accounting in undergrad and several personality tests have strongly recommended accounting as a career, how do I know its right for me? I know that the most common response will likely be "only you will know" or something along those lines. However, if you HAD to make suggestions on how one would know if accounting is right for them, what would you say? I just want to make sure that I dont do all the prereqs, take the gmat, write a personal statement, pay 30+k and spend a year of my time going toward something only to find out a year into the actual work.."oh yea..this isnt for me"
I bolded a part of your post. Tread carefully, if you plan to do Accounting... consider:

Accounts Receivable: you can be in conflict with customers
Billing: you can be in conflict with customers
Payroll: you can be in conflict with fellow employees
Audit: you can be in conflict with clients

This can be in variable degrees of conflict, but you get the picture.

Also if going for Accounting, I would plan to go for the CPA to make it worthwhile.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Oh just thought about another part of your question on the conflict with customers. If you get into the behind the scenes of accounting, you don't have to worry about the conflicts.
I would not do payroll either...people get really bent out of shape because of their paychecks. You can start out in Accounts Payable as I'm doing now. Easier to deal with. As for Accounts Receivable, if you do this for a company collecting for other companies, it is much easier. People are more professional and highly unlikely to scream in your ear. Just a few thoughts from experience.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I bolded a part of your post. Tread carefully, if you plan to do Accounting... consider:

Also if going for Accounting, I would plan to go for the CPA to make it worthwhile.
FYI, A/R, Billing (i.e. Accounts Payble), and Payroll are all para-professional jobs. As a professional staff accountant, you might look at those areas to check if they are properly recorded according to GAAP, but you don't actually deal with customers or employees.

As for audit, my interactions with clients have 99% been very professional. If they don't like a testing procedure or an interpretation, they resolve the issue in a professional manner. If they antagonize their auditor, it just creates more headaches and larger bills for them.

My problems have been with my bosses who want you to do an insane amount of things in an unreasonable budget, or when you have to try to cajole better work from people underneath you. It's never outright hostility, just a lot of passive aggressiveness.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post

All of the above you can also be in conflict with fellow employees. I have never witnessed more conflict coming from any department as accounting.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
All of the above you can also be in conflict with fellow employees. I have never witnessed more conflict coming from any department as accounting.
agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities