Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
I hear their management pays very well. Not saying Starbucks is a smart career choice, but it's better than sitting in mommy's basement. If anything, that time could be used to build up a hatred for doing jobs such as that and for motivation to get yourself into one of those marketable fields.
I guess you need to consider is what 'pays very well' means. At Starbucks it ranges from 34K to 70K, counting all bonuses, options, etc. The average is 46K.
Software engineers (with a 4-year degree from a decent school) in New England start at a base salary of 70K, and ultimately averages 104K, and I had them as high as 175K, once experienced.

Me thinks the four-year degree from a good school has payback in short order. (But I only have a sample size of literally many hundeds, so don't listen to me).

What's better than sitting in mommy's basement is to get a decent degree in the right field, and then making some cash, and be productive to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
I pay about $5k per semester before merit scholarships.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,852 times
I graduated from a private religious affiliated university in the Midwest about 5 years ago. When I started school, tuition was 20k/year and room and board another 8-10k on top of that but tuition has gone up a ton since then. I just checked and it's 30k. With room and board (which has stayed around the same), that puts the total cost at 40k a year.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I guess you need to consider is what 'pays very well' means. At Starbucks it ranges from 34K to 70K, counting all bonuses, options, etc. The average is 46K.
Software engineers (with a 4-year degree from a decent school) in New England start at a base salary of 70K, and ultimately averages 104K, and I had them as high as 175K, once experienced.

Me thinks the four-year degree from a good school has payback in short order. (But I only have a sample size of literally many hundeds, so don't listen to me).

What's better than sitting in mommy's basement is to get a decent degree in the right field, and then making some cash, and be productive to society.
Attending OWS rallies is productive, don't ya think ?

Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Attending OWS rallies is productive, don't ya think ?
At least the tolerance for OWS is going down, significantly. Nothing that a little bit of pepper spray won't cure.
They got it right in Boston.... when your window view has vertical bars, it makes one ponder....

But I digress...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Absolutely true.
It boils down to common sense; if you want to major in the study of the Peruvian Pine Beetle, then you either need to 1). marry well, or 2). hope you don't starve.
You would hope that people who go to college would have enough sense (since they are paying a lot of money) to get a marketable skill. Though I have seen many an exception.

Also, what do you do after working for Starbucks for 4 years (saving the $100K), work there for another 40?
The study of the Peruvian Pine Beetle would come in grad school. In particular, during Ph.D.

I still do not understand why some people are so concerned with what total strangers choose to study. I already feel that America is well on its way towards Idiocracy, so the more people that major in Basket Weaving, the better. It keeps my competition down and my job security high.

Then again, one day one of these basket weavers is going to invent a new, improved, basket and become an overnight millionaire. Then another basket weaver is going to invent a new way to weave baskets, and he/she is going to become rich, too. Then all of a sudden basket weaving is going to be the new, hot, major.

Maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
I hear their management pays very well. Not saying Starbucks is a smart career choice, but it's better than sitting in mommy's basement. If anything, that time could be used to build up a hatred for doing jobs such as that and for motivation to get yourself into one of those marketable fields.
I know a guy who was a part-time assistant manager at a Starbucks in Cambridge, MA. He made $60K a year, which in the Boston area is considered a "low" salary by many.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM

72 posts, read 224,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Bout $3K/ Term.

Your getting ripped off.
Sorry, I just had to laugh when I read this. Sure, you supposedly paid $3k per term but considering your grammar (you're, not your), it makes me wonder if there isn't some relationship between price and educational quality.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
Sorry, I just had to laugh when I read this. Sure, you supposedly paid $3k per term but considering your grammar (you're, not your), it makes me wonder if there isn't some relationship between price and educational quality.
Did you also see that it was posted at 2AM?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Did you also see that it was posted at 2AM?
I know nothing about the other poster, but some of us use remote servers, that can choose when responses are sent/posted. (Tell me what time you want mine posted, and I will do it). Geez.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The study of the Peruvian Pine Beetle would come in grad school. In particular, during Ph.D.

I still do not understand why some people are so concerned with what total strangers choose to study. I already feel that America is well on its way towards Idiocracy, so the more people that major in Basket Weaving, the better. It keeps my competition down and my job security high.

Then again, one day one of these basket weavers is going to invent a new, improved, basket and become an overnight millionaire. Then another basket weaver is going to invent a new way to weave baskets, and he/she is going to become rich, too. Then all of a sudden basket weaving is going to be the new, hot, major.

Maybe.

I know a guy who was a part-time assistant manager at a Starbucks in Cambridge, MA. He made $60K a year, which in the Boston area is considered a "low" salary by many.
Could not agree more.
My only concern as to what other people study, is that to keep this country strong, we need to study relevant topics.
I understand your perspective (it helps me as well)... It helps me (as I avoid idiocracy), but overall it is not good for the nation. But then again, we are in for a train-wreck.
For those who want to flame, don't blame me... I didn't do it, and I wish I could do more to prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities