Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,287,633 times

Advertisements

My undergrad was 100% paid for by my mothers employer (including books) because she worked within the system that runs our state universities. As long as I kept my grades up, she got reimbursed.

I am now working for an employer that will pay about 60% (plus books) of my tuition for grad school, of course, if I keep my grades up.

All in all college has created no debt or student loans for my family or I and really I will end up paying out of pocket around 7k total for 6 years of schooling.

Has anyone else found this loophole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM

10,037 posts, read 17,986,604 times
It's not a "loophole" -- it's meant to recognize that many state employees (not all) couldn't afford to send their own kids to college without lots of financial aid.

Lots of corporations pay for courses or sometimes entire degrees (or at least they used to). When I was an undergrad I had to work full-time while going to school full-time nights (not fun at all, but I got through it), and my employer (a well-known insurance company) paid for a lot of it -- can't remember exactly how much but it was more than 50% IIRC. If you were getting a management degree (as I was at the time), you could be reimbursed for all courses you needed for that degree, not only the required courses in the major.

I think it's great that you will end up with so little debt after 6 years of school. I sometimes worry about the students at my college who have $20,000+ in debt after a 4-year degree. At least most of them find jobs relatively quickly after graduation.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM

I was thinking this must be more common than we hear about. Since my mother is not a state employee she works at a hospital that is part of network of hospitals, med schools and universities that all share the same state name (network ties). Must be hundreds of thousands of employees (professors, doctors, RN's, teachers, etc).

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM

10,037 posts, read 17,986,604 times
Sounds like it's part of the benefits package for all involved in the "network." That's how it works at my employer too (state university system) although I doubt that ours is quite as wide-reaching as what you have!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM

12,075 posts, read 23,175,384 times
It is not a loophole. Tuition remission is common at campuses across the country. Some employers pay for part of an employee's education and some do not.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 AM

I guess the point of this thread is that you only hear the horror stories about student loans and astronomical debt.

I knew there had to be more people out there, then we hear from, who have managed to find a way to make college work (financially).

Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,891,118 times
No, but many people are not smart enough to plan to get a job like your mother did. There are plenty of resources out there, but you need to find them.

I went to a boarding school and the teachers that were couples couldn't have made over 80k a year yet they had a quality of life better than many people I know.

Their two kids both attended the school, then went onto ivy leagues which they had minimal expenses due to their parents low income. The parents lived at school in a nice house (seniority gets you nice things) and got their meals from the dinning hall. Yet they owned a small cabin on a lake in New Hampshire that they spent their summers. A cheap place due to the remote location, but they didn't have a primary residence to pay a mortgage on so it worked out.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM

I'll agree with this, since I saw her do it and had to do go through it with my current employer as well.

It takes a lot of preparation and organization to apply for things like tuition reimbursement. Proving you are in-state applicable can be a crazy processes even for someone who has lived in the same place all their lives-I bought a car out of state last year and that put a hold on my registration for a month (crazy). Saving all receipts from the university application process, book store, online etc to prove that you had used the money correctly in pursuit of your degree. Getting classes approved to make sure they are applicable for the position you are currently working in, making sure you get A's to get full reimbursement for classes and properly submitting those grades within a short time frame after completing the classes and even then little hiccups arise all the time.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:19 AM

22,389 posts, read 47,373,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

No loophole at all... just a perk some people have.
And it is a perk that has been around a long time!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:44 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,189,913 times
Quote:
My undergrad was 100% paid for by my mothers employer (including books) because she worked within the system that runs our state universities. As long as I kept my grades up, she got reimbursed.

I am now working for an employer that will pay about 60% (plus books) of my tuition for grad school, of course, if I keep my grades up.

All in all college has created no debt or student loans for my family or I and really I will end up paying out of pocket around 7k total for 6 years of schooling.

It's not a loophole, it's just a perk.

Quote:
I guess the point of this thread is that you only hear the horror stories about student loans and astronomical debt.

I knew there had to be more people out there, then we hear from, who have managed to find a way to make college work (financially).
"Horror stories" sell. Plus, people generally only "share their story" when they got something to moan about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
No, but many people are not smart enough to plan to get a job like your mother did. There are plenty of resources out there, but you need to find them.
Smart enough? First off, some people may not be aware that the OPs mom's employer pays for such a thing. And second, some people may not be qualified, let alone even want to if they were, to work in what-ever system the OPs mom finds herself.

You know, a lot of Boomers are refusing to retire. Many because they cannot afford to. Are they "dumb" because they were not "smart enough" to get a job with the railroad (one of the few employers that still offer a true blue retirement package)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities