Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times

Advertisements

Just an update, it appears the U of F decided against closing the Computer Science department:

University of Florida drops plans to axe CompSci for sports ? The Register

Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
JMHO

(And ROTFLMAO)
I will let your nonsense speak for itself, except to say that we aren't getting anywhere near the return you're claiming that off shoring has created. What you posted is pure nonsense, complete pure nonsense. The rest I'll leave for anyone else to try to respond.....

Old 05-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Sounds like U of F thinks Athletics > Academics, which is shameful.

I have a MS Comp Sci and BS in Engineering. I don't see any saturation point at all, if anything we need more programmers.
We may, but that doesn't mean that they'll be Americans. U of F got rid of its CS program despite what you posted. And this isn't unique a problem to American universities, though U of F's response was the most brutal. STEM departments are seeing a cut in their budgets and an increasing defunding of FED science grants. The point that you may have missed is that any STEM workers we may need can easily be replaced with overseas STEM workers, which is the reason for the H-1B and L visas being used to fast track those foreign workers.

And I would have you check the BLS stats for engineers and other STEM grads. Try to find some time to read Paul Craig Roberts work on STEM jobs, mostly on VDARE.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I will let your nonsense speak for itself, except to say that we aren't getting anywhere near the return you're claiming that off shoring has created. What you posted is pure nonsense, complete pure nonsense. The rest I'll leave for anyone else to try to respond.....
Well, I did, and I have (only a sample size of three for the offshore work), but it was quite effective. We then swapped from India to China. Not sure who the 'we' you are referring to.... I am talking about the company, which generates revenue. Would you care to elaborate?

(Being part of a really big IPO sort of confirms the fact that this works. )

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Badgering

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
There are many unemployed lawyers. America started to become saturated with college degree holders in the 1950s when the GI Bill let thousands go to college just for the sake of going to college. The problem became worse in the late 1960s/early 70s when many college students stayed in college to avoid the draft. There is when the US started to become oversaturated with Ph.D.s

Old 05-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Well, I did, and I have (only a sample size of three for the offshore work), but it was quite effective.
If anything you said were even close to be true or accurate, then we wouldn't have a trade deficit. See there, facts trump anecdotes, however fictitious they may be. But lets take a closer look.

In 2000, total exports were $1,072, 783. Total imports, $1,449,532 (value in millions US Census Bureau Foreign Trade Division) In 2011 Total Exports $2,105,046. Total imports $2,665,002.

So, in your world, where you claim that we get back more if we off shore our industrial base, numbers don't matter. But in the real world, then if what you claimed were even remotely true, then those numbers would be the opposite. But as you can see, our trade deficit hasn't gone down at all, making what you posted earlier simple nonsense.

As for the rest of your, ahem, "information," I will let others determine the quality....

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments

Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,324 times
And as it turns out, 51 year old film studies majors aint the only ones feeling the heat.

Even a PhD Couldn't Keep This Man Off Food Stamps - Yahoo! Finance

Like Yang, who holds a PhD in History from the University of California, many graduates are delaying marriage until they can afford the walk down the aisle.

Ginger Dean, founder of personal finance blog Girls Just Wanna Have Funds, was on track to get her PhD in psychology. Then she took a look at the $120,000 price sticker, did a little math and decided against it.

"While I was accepted to a few programs, shelling out $80-$120k in extra student loans for a $5k annual difference in pay wasn’t worth it for me," she said. "I also had to consider the years I would spend in school (4-7) and the lost opportunity for full time income during that time as well as the harsh reality that the increase in salary and total amount paid in student loans isn’t worth the “prestige” of having a doctorate."

I can hear the reflexive chorus of criticism now: "But but, they shoulda gotten a brand name degree in, ya know, a brand name major like engineerin, or science or somthin!"

While one can argue the functionality of a Psychology or History degree, the fact remains that they are seeing no opportunities for employment in fields in which a PhD, at one point, almost guaranteed entry. (History, Psychology).

Last edited by soletaire; 05-10-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Ah yes, there it is..It is finally happening. The statistics that now reveal how worthless even advanced degrees are in this economy, have started to trickle in. Considering that Bachelor degrees have become virtually worthless, and since they are now a requirement just to compete for fry cook and janitorial positions, the next logical extension would be that the degree inflation would trickle up to Masters and eventually PhD's. Congrats on your doctorate, you can now fight for 40K teaching gigs and maybe some sort of consulting position, or duke it out for your slice of public aide with the other delinquents in the welfare line.

The fact is that degrees of almost all types are worth little more than toilet paper today. The real disappointment is that society preached for decades that "college" (in the comprehensive sense) was some sort of ticket to opportunity for anyone with enough persistence to finish. Now that we have a young populace who has racked up a bunch of debt on useless degrees they were encouraged to pursue, and who have painted themselves squarely out of the economic engine for the next 40 years -- now after the fact -- we are starting to see all the monday morning guidance counseling from the day-late paul reveres come out of the woodwork with their woulda shoulda coulda's...except that now their monday morning quarterbacking is not only aimed at the lowly associates and bachelor degree holders, but now they are directed toward the very ones who have done everything they they were told they could possibly do to succeed in this economy in some fashion: the doctorate holders.

For a while there, the only people who received any backlash from their educational decisions were the bachelor degree holders, or those who didnt earn a name brand degree from a name brand school or from an Ivy League University. But alas, the worthlessness of college education in this country's economy has wireworked its way all the way up to the tippy top. Twas only a matter of time.
Not this again! No matter what anyone says, the statistics show that the more education, the lower the unemployment and the higher the salaries.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
He summed up his own demise very nicely:

Not all education is equal.
Going to UC-Riverside and not wanting to looking outside of academics for a history gig is not going to be an uphill climb.

Quote:
Ah yes, there it is..It is finally happening. The statistics that now reveal how worthless even advanced degrees are in this economy, have started to trickle in. Considering that Bachelor degrees have become virtually worthless, and since they are now a requirement just to compete for fry cook and janitorial positions, the next logical extension would be that the degree inflation would trickle up to Masters and eventually PhD's. Congrats on your doctorate, you can now fight for 40K teaching gigs and maybe some sort of consulting position, or duke it out for your slice of public aide with the other delinquents in the welfare line.

The fact is that degrees of almost all types are worth little more than toilet paper today. The real disappointment is that society preached for decades that "college" (in the comprehensive sense) was some sort of ticket to opportunity for anyone with enough persistence to finish. Now that we have a young populace who has racked up a bunch of debt on useless degrees they were encouraged to pursue, and who have painted themselves squarely out of the economic engine for the next 40 years -- now after the fact -- we are starting to see all the monday morning guidance counseling from the day-late paul reveres come out of the woodwork with their woulda shoulda coulda's...except that now their monday morning quarterbacking is not only aimed at the lowly associates and bachelor degree holders, but now they are directed toward the very ones who have done everything they they were told they could possibly do to succeed in this economy in some fashion: the doctorate holders.

For a while there, the only people who received any backlash from their educational decisions were the bachelor degree holders, or those who didnt earn a name brand degree from a name brand school or from an Ivy League University. But alas, the worthlessness of college education in this country's economy has wireworked its way all the way up to the tippy top. Twas only a matter of time.
The problem with this argument is the guy sounds like he wanted to be a professor. The number of PhD graduates is increasing, but the job availability isn't, and yes, the prestige of your graduate degree for getting a professor job is very important.

Quote:
Some of you are saying that the fields which they received PH.d's are worthless, that they should have studied something worthwhile, something that would benefit society, yada yada.

The University of Florida is getting rid of its Computer Science department. In doing so, the school will cut 1.8 million. At the same time, that same university is going to increase its athletic budget by 2.2 million. Let's go over this again, a flagship university, which markets itself as excellent, is getting rid of a field of study which includes both engineering and science overlaps, and is increasing the money for roided up 20 yo to bash themselves into a concussive state.

Now why would Florida do something so apparently stupid? Because they're not stupid, Computer Science is saturated, foreign countries are graduating hundreds of thousands in that same area per year, and are willing to have a more US companies set up shop in their countries, or many of those same US companies have fast track immigration policies which wedge out Americans who would demand a higher wage. All that has been well understood for years by anyone paying attention, BLS surveys have all shown that the demand for engineers and STEM grads has been tapering off and, with the U of F decision, is now falling at an accelerating pace. But in order to mask that reality, universities have increased the amount they are willing to pay for bread and carnivals, because that is how they market themselves to a customer base which has become too stupid to understand the underlying dynamic of what is taking place academically.

This is what a Depression looks like folks. It will only get worse.....
Computer Science is suppose to be one of the best jobs to get when you graduate. I've read unemployment rates are among the lowest professions. Is this not true anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
The scam, and the irony, is that this PhD. candidate kept other people with PhD.'s employed by borrowing thousands of dollars to get his degree. I assume he's borrowing for it rather than getting scholarship or fellowship grants.
Quote:

I can hear the reflexive chorus of criticism now: "But but, they shoulda gotten a brand name degree in, ya know, a brand name major like engineerin, or science or somthin!"

While one can argue the functionality of a Psychology or History degree, the fact remains that they are seeing no opportunities for employment in fields in which a PhD, at one point, almost guaranteed entry. (History, Psychology).

Any respectable school doesn't charge for PhDs.--usually your costs are covered, along with a stipend. Of course, the school and professors use your services. Yes, if the goal is to stay in academics and obtain a professor-type level, the brand name is important. Actually, it is important in general for a reason, companies will and do recruit for just a certain amount of schools. They don't have endless money sitting around, so they'll go with schools that they have good relationships with and have a good reputation. Does this mean that a student from a lesser-known school is any less talented? No, but it just means they have a bigger climb to reach the top.

Quote:
As expected, you have no response to basic common sense. The numbers prove how worthless your assertions actually turn out to be. YOU claimed that we get back more when we offshore our jobs. If that were true, then we wouldn't have a trade deficit, we would have a trade surplus. We haven't had any such thing for nearly 20 years. That puts the lie to your claim. You simply have no idea what you're talking about, you have no idea how trade stats work, and you're trying to bluff your way past the fact that someone called you on your nonsense by pointing out some very basic facts. Moreover, if anything you posted had any real validity, we would also be witnessing an increasing value of the dollar, which isn't the case. And I'll see if you can try to attempt a real debate, show us how, in light of your claim that we get back more if we off shore, then why is the US dollar lower vis a vis with other currencies.

Given the quality of your thinking, your fake job at your fake company is about to eliminated. 0 for 4 there Sparky, time to get a pinch hitter.....
Are we talking about manufacturing or skilled workforce (such as Phds)? These are two very different things, and I think they aren't fair for a realistic view of an analyst on the trade deficit and off-shoring.

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 05-11-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Computer Science is suppose to be one of the best jobs to get when you graduate. I've read unemployment rates are among the lowest professions. Is this not true anymore?
CU-Boulder sends record class into job market 'not yet at its peak' - Boulder Daily Camera

Graduating seniors in the University of Colorado's computer science department have more than one reason to celebrate Friday.

Ken Anderson, associate chair of computer science, said that as of last week, all 47 of the department's soon-to-be-graduates reported having jobs lined up, with just a few exceptions -- students who chose to attend graduate school instead of entering the work force.

"The skills these students are learning are recession-proof," Anderson said. "Some of our students had 10 job offers and were having a hard time choosing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities