Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 07:45 AM

981 posts, read 1,617,168 times

Advertisements

In the event that I lose my job and I am unable to find a job within a reasonable frame of time, I intend upon returning to college to at least be doing something while searching for something. As it is, I already have two associates degrees with one being in Electromechanical Technology and the other in General Technology. Aside from pursuing an engineering degree, there wouldn't really be much advancement. Even then, the pay division between an engineer and a technician is not so great to warrant it.

My question is thus: what are the most employable bachelor degrees that a person could pursue? Which degrees would offer the most return on the investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 AM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
In the event that I lose my job and I am unable to find a job within a reasonable frame of time, I intend upon returning to college to at least be doing something while searching for something. As it is, I already have two associates degrees with one being in Electromechanical Technology and the other in General Technology. Aside from pursuing an engineering degree, there wouldn't really be much advancement. Even then, the pay division between an engineer and a technician is not so great to warrant it.

My question is thus: what are the most employable bachelor degrees that a person could pursue? Which degrees would offer the most return on the investment?

Wouldn't it be better to maximize the skills and talents that you already possess than to start all over again? Advancement is more a function of what you do with the opportunities that you have than with the degrees that you earn.

The degrees that offer the best ROIs are the ones in fields that you are truly passionate about.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
If you are in a dying field like science, journalism etc then starting over is a good idea. BTW that follow your passion and the money will follow advice is trite and nowadays complete BS. I guess all those BA's serving coffee at Starbucks must have lacked passion in their major huh.

Degrees that are doing well
Nursing, engineering, Computer science, HR, Finance, Economics, accounting, trades like pipe fitting.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to maximize the skills and talents that you already possess than to start all over again? Advancement is more a function of what you do with the opportunities that you have than with the degrees that you earn.

The degrees that offer the best ROIs are the ones in fields that you are truly passionate about.
Perhaps, but the difference between what a technologist or engineer makes just doesn't justify going to college for a few more years for it even if it makes me a more desirable candidate.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you are in a dying field like science, journalism etc then starting over is a good idea. BTW that follow your passion and the money will follow advice is trite and nowadays complete BS. I guess all those BA's serving coffee at Starbucks must have lacked passion in their major huh.

Degrees that are doing well
Nursing, engineering, Computer science, HR, Finance, Economics, accounting, trades like pipe fitting.
I was thinking geology. I already have an Electromechanical Technology degree, which would fall under 'engineering' and 'trades.' \

Old 05-21-2012, 01:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
I heard some good things about geology especially from the petroleum industry.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,040,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post

The most employable and best paying bachelors degree is probably Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.

According to BLS, the difference in pay between an Electrical Engineer and a Technologist is over 30K. That's significant. Not to mention the opportunities in advancement with an EE degree.

In terms of being a Geologist, I can speak of that since I come from that field. You must like being outside all day, because that is what the job will be about. You're looking at about 40K to 45K to start and about 60 to 65K mid career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities