U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM

464 posts, read 446,304 times

Advertisements

to go back to school and get another BA or go for a Masters in another field?

Graduated from film school with a BA in film production and as I much as I love making movies, it's hard to find something steady. I do have full time job on the side.

Right now, I want to go into a field of Reproductive Health. So far I found programs in Maternal and Child Health.

Last edited by DeafChick; 05-25-2012 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 AM

20,419 posts, read 42,131,920 times
It is never too late to learn....

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM

593 posts, read 1,330,899 times
Hi! I did the same thing, I got the "dream" degree in film, an emphasis in animation, something I always wanted to do, but now I regret it. I enjoyed my time in college and met great people, but I wished I'd been given a reality check at some point in high school. I like making films but I don't have the drive to do it full-time, I need to pay the bills! I had a huge medical emergency almost 2 years ago and it shifted my perspective a lot. I don't want to be stuck behind a desk all day and 18 hour days are just not my thing nor can I keep up with technology and the fast pace. I always wanted to be in the medical field, so now I think I'm going back to community college and get a physical therapy assistant or Occupational Therapy Assistant degree. It's only 2 years.

I don't think it's ever too late to change careers, I don't think you and I are the only ones thinking about it either. There are a lot of film majors working at Starbucks these days (I am willing to bet) thinking about changing their careers, so do it now before they all start to!

Have you thought about becoming a midwife or a doula? Those might be interesting avenues to pursue as a career as more women go to natural birth options. Good luck to you!!!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM

79 posts, read 209,954 times
As someone else said, it is never too late. You have to do what you think is best, even if it is a trip back to school and a little longer time horizon as you complete your education.

My two cents:

I worked in a securities brokerage for 8 years. During that time I realized that I wanted to do something different and did not want to do that for the next 30+ years. So while working I went back to school. Took 6 years to obtain a stinking AA (1 to 2 classes at night at a CC), then went on to obtain my BS at Univ. So. Cal. I was 30 at the time. It was really weird sitting in classes with 18-21 year olds when I was 30. It was my job to finish and get out quickly as possible; most of the youngins were planning the next frat party. But, that is what they are supposed to do during college at that age! If you are a little older, don't let that get in the way.

After 3 more years of education I finished law school and passed the bar. I was 33 years old when I finished...and started a new career.

So, I say go for it!! You do not want to look back 10 years from now and say, "I wish I did something different..." Good luck.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM

21,558 posts, read 27,417,717 times
It is never too late as Pitt Chick said. I'd rather die while perusing my dream, then never having tried to attain it.

Does that mean I'd go back to college in my 90s? If I wanted to, I would.

Make sure that you actually need a second BA. Perhaps a MA/S would be accessible, with some extra classes from a CC.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:51 PM

464 posts, read 446,304 times
Thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I am looking into taking some health classes at my local CC and maybe go to Grad school. I would like to get involved at community health clinics and push for more sexual education. I understand in this current climate it might be hard to do.

As for film students, I know several people that I graduated with tried and fail to get into the business. Most of them had to find 9-5 jobs in order to manage. Shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities