Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 PM

130 posts, read 366,631 times

Advertisements

ok so i am thinking of returning back to college, however, with the high price of college and the lack of jobs for recent graduates, I am kinda questioning what I want to study. My interests are history, political science and communications. I LOVE history, but I ruled it out because all you can do is just teach with it or you have to go to grad school for something else. While I like teaching, I would really want to do the college level and there are just way too many applicants and too few jobs.Political science is good. I like politics and i feel that out of the liberal arts degrees this is one of the BA's that is the most practical in getting a decent job however, I feel like I could only get a government job with it and thats it so I end up in a box.

I love communications as well and I like to write and my emphasis would be Public relations and journalism. I feel that this degree has a more practical use in getting a job, more so than the poly science major. The draw back is that I would need to move far away and this major i need 14 classes in stead of 10 like the other two majors. Money is kinda tight right now so if you were in my shoes..what would you do? Is there a way for me to break this down and see what would be best for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM

593 posts, read 1,415,078 times
If you are not sure what you want to study, I would suggest going to a community college. Then you are not spending tons of money and wasting it not knowing what you want to do and not taking the right classes for what you ultimately decide.

Picture yourself at 50 years old. What can you see yourself doing?

Did you graduate from college before? Did you drop out? How old are you?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 PM

i am just 30 hours shy of graduating with the two degrees and 39-42 hours shy of the communications degree so going to community college would be like taking a step backwards in my opinon. Thanks though.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM

12,116 posts, read 23,405,788 times
It is not true that all you can do with a history degree is teach. Also, a degree in History is not sufficient if you want to teach history--you need an education degree. With any of the degrees mentioned, expect to work outside of your major and look for jobs that require a degree of any kind. How are you going to pay living expenses if you have to move in order to get the Com degree?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 PM

593 posts, read 1,415,078 times
If you are that far in, I suggest getting the degree in the soonest amount of time, don't rack up any more debt than you need to. You said you can get two degrees... which 2 degrees? Can you double major? Then get out there and get a job as soon as possible. And Journalism is a dying job, they've invented an algorithm to have computers write news articles and you'd never know. The one thing I thought they couldn't get a computer to do and it's already doing it.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingan99 View Post
ok so i am thinking of returning back to college, however, with the high price of college and the lack of jobs for recent graduates, I am kinda questioning what I want to study. My interests are history, political science and communications. I LOVE history, but I ruled it out because all you can do is just teach with it or you have to go to grad school for something else. While I like teaching, I would really want to do the college level and there are just way too many applicants and too few jobs.Political science is good. I like politics and i feel that out of the liberal arts degrees this is one of the BA's that is the most practical in getting a decent job however, I feel like I could only get a government job with it and thats it so I end up in a box.

I love communications as well and I like to write and my emphasis would be Public relations and journalism. I feel that this degree has a more practical use in getting a job, more so than the poly science major. The draw back is that I would need to move far away and this major i need 14 classes in stead of 10 like the other two majors. Money is kinda tight right now so if you were in my shoes..what would you do? Is there a way for me to break this down and see what would be best for me?
You beat me to it: I was going to suggest combining Poli Sci with journalism.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Well here is where I am stuck. My absolute loves are history and political science. I like communications and feel that its applicable and I see way more job postings for those type of jobs than poly sci or history.

I cannot combine the majors because I have already used my free electives. I need to actually concentrate on the major. I need 10 classes EACH in history and poly sci and 13-14 in communications. The communications degree would have an emphasis on corporate communications. It is here that I am stuck. Should I just go the shortest route doing something that I love and getting the 10 classes out of the way, or should I just suck it up(its only 3 more classes) and do something that I know beyond a doubt is applicable to the job market. I just do not want to be one of those people that majors in something and then is on MSN or NBC complaining about how they can't find a job.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 AM

Btw, when I say corporate communications i am thinking of PR only, I would not mind doing marketing, but I do not want to do sales at all...I am also wondering which degree is more marketable a degree in political science or a degree in communications. While there seem to be more job postings for communications, that doesn't mean jack if they all pay peanuts(i dont know if they do, i am just saying)

Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,519,494 times
A degree in communications would be more flexible. You won't have to worry about passing background checks for security clearances and the exceptionally long hiring process of the federal government. For state and local government, a public administration or public policy degree is probably more helpful. With political science, you have to be really dedicated to working your way up a specific career path such as interning for political campaigns in the hopes of someday becoming a consultant.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:31 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,633,723 times
I would suggest visiting the career services center at your college. A counselor there should be able to help you sort out job possibilities and that would point the way to a major. In politics, I think it's more a matter of working your way up the ladder then academic credentials. This is an excellent time to start that by working on someone's election campaign.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities