Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:51 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,458,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What makes a degree fancy? Is it bad to have a fancy degree?
People in this country are most impressed by degrees from Harvard and Yale (in the U.S.) and Oxford and Cambridge (in England.)

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-20-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I guess people are not against college. Colleges have become money minting corporations nowadays and people have some issues in the way nowadays they are bein run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're talking about what I often refer to as diploma mills. Not all colleges fit this description.
College tuition has skyrocketed far, far beyond the rate of inflation.

That's true of all colleges, not just diploma mills.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
True. But why people insist on hijacking college threads with this great wisdom is beyond me.
Why not?

I mean, seriously...Is the "Colleges and Universities Forum" only for promoting college?

Old 06-20-2015, 01:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
College tuition has skyrocketed far, far beyond the rate of inflation.

That's true of all colleges, not just diploma mills.
No it hasn't. If you look at inflation between 1700's and 2010, you'll notice that tuition lagged behind inflation after WWII. It has been playing catch-up since the 80s.

The only way one could say that college tuition has skyrocketed beyond inflation is if they use short-term analysis by only looking at the 1990s and 2000s.

Even with higher prices than a few years ago, most good schools provide generous financial aid packages to students who fall below upper middle class.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No it hasn't. If you look at inflation between 1700's and 2010, you'll notice that tuition lagged behind inflation after WWII. It has been playing catch-up since the 80s.

The only way one could say that college tuition has skyrocketed beyond inflation is if they use short-term analysis by only looking at the 1990s and 2000s.

Even with higher prices than a few years ago, most good schools provide generous financial aid packages to students who fall below upper middle class.
So you're right and all the people complaining about how expensive college is are wrong.

Okie-dokie.

Last edited by dechatelet; 06-20-2015 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-20-2015, 01:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,228,370 times
Quote:
Whatever you say, college industry promoter.
Yes, I support the progress of arts and sciences... just like the Constitution of the United States. Why are you so anti-American?
Quote:

The rest of us can do arithmetic and recognize the obvious.
Anyone can add 2+2. The issue is that you're sampling a small number of years to generalize something that's been around for centuries.
Quote:

This forum is a joke.
How enlightening. Such a college-educated conclusion . I never understood why anti-education people post to the education forum.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:34 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
Why not?

I mean, seriously...Is the "Colleges and Universities Forum" only for promoting college?
Well, what else would it be for? US News doesn't say, "college isn't for everyone" in their college edition; neither does the Princeton Review, or any of the college guides that I've read.

Mind you, I have no problems with threads like "Is college for everyone?" or even "College isn't for everyone". But the vast majority of threads about college get hijacked into the above.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,233,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, you're generalizing in a very poor manner. Not arguing that didn't happen, but there were a lot of white people who did the same exact thing. There were only a few people, of any race, who were in the economic status to have anyone clean their house, pittance or not. When you generalize like that you are making an emotional statement that is no longer true because you've stretched it from the specific subset to cover a whole range of people who were never anywhere neat that status.

The "old idiots, politically conservatives and white men" is a ageist, racist, and sexist statement all rolled into one. It is offensive and it is not true in the wide brush generalized sense you use.
It's called being "politically incorrect", an excuse which white conservative males trumpet frequently to justify their pejorative statements against women, people of color, immigrants, and the poor. Enjoy!

BTW, I'm white and old enough to qualify for SS, so I'll dis the whites and the old if I like with impunity. As for men, there is a significantly higher percentage of women between 18-25 or 30 pursuing undergraduate degrees than men, and that percentage difference exceeds the slight percentage difference between men and women (more women than men) in that same general age group.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:02 PM

8,328 posts, read 3,844,027 times
Quote:
So you're right and all the people complaining about how expensive college is are wrong.

Okie-dokie.
College is expensive, no doubt. But the only people who pay sticker price are those who are either wealthy or mediocre. For example, if you are attending Penn and are middle class or lower, you're not going to be paying sticker price. You're going to receive substantial amounts of financial aid. The same applies for Harvard, Princeton, etc.

People complaining about college being expensive isn't wrong as expensive is subjective. If you say that college is expensive compared to the 90s (adjusted for inflation), then you would be right. But if you say that college has never been more expensive (adjusted for inflation), you're absolutely wrong. College was comparatively cheap (when adjusted for inflation) for several decades, but that's not a basis to say that college is too expensive.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:04 PM

8,328 posts, read 3,844,027 times
Quote:
People in this country are most impressed by degrees from Harvard and Yale (in the U.S.) and Oxford and Cambridge (in England.)
Which is sad. Obtaining a good degree shouldn't be considered fancy. It just shows how awful the situation is. Mediocrity has become the norm and a good education has become fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities