Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
I wonder if the stigma towards this kind of degrees is as big in countries that offer free university as it is in the US.
Interestingly, I've never really felt the stigma, here in the U.S. Maybe because I went someplace that valued the humanities-based subject that I majored in, and because I've never had a problem using my degree to land jobs of my choice. Where's the stigma in always being able to do what you want, what interests you, and get the jobs you want? No complaints, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,331,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
" All degrees are useless and useful in their own ways."

~ Sheena12
I know a few people who have degrees...and could not find a good job in that field...the jobs they do have never required a degree to begin with......but then, on the useful side of things....they do have that knowledge, and should the opportunity arise , that degree could prove useful.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:14 PM

943 posts, read 1,324,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm always somewhat taken back with the subject of "useless degrees" and while I can see the concerns from a student or more to the point a parents point of view (I'm an indentured servant to Pitt) I was browsing through a musical instrument catalogue and was taken aback by the price of musical instruments for aspiring musicians.

$3,000 for a French Horn, $6,000 for an oboe, $21,000 for a bassoon!!!

How absurd! Who would spend that kind of money on the off chance that their child MIGHT be lucky enough to get some low paying job with a medium sized symphonic orchestra? Insane!

But then I thought, what kind of society would we live in without young people who could play the introduction to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, understand the beauty of Mark Twain's colloquial prose, know how to preserve the artistic integrity of an Andrew Wyeth, or understand the intrinsic value of a Gustav Stickley chair and its importance to the history of American design and craftsmanship?

We need students who study "useless degrees", I would hate to think of what kind of world this would be without them.
You know that you can rent musical instruments, or buy used instruments, both for much cheaper than those prices. That's what anybody would do until they were sure they were into it for the long haul.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,162,860 times
I take the OP's point in terms of things being fulfilling without increasing your earning power.

However, something needs to be done to bring down the cost of tuition. That poor Twain scholar and bassonist (sic?) shouldn't have to be in debt for the rest of their natural lives.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,249,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Interestingly, I've never really felt the stigma, here in the U.S. Maybe because I went someplace that valued the humanities-based subject that I majored in, and because I've never had a problem using my degree to land jobs of my choice. Where's the stigma in always being able to do what you want, what interests you, and get the jobs you want? No complaints, here.

I value the humanities also. Sick of hearing about STEM.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,070,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I take the OP's point in terms of things being fulfilling without increasing your earning power.

However, something needs to be done to bring down the cost of tuition. That poor Twain scholar and bassonist (sic?) shouldn't have to be in debt for the rest of their natural lives.
I agree!

It's not that the degree is useless, it's the fact that often times students borrow $80k, and don't earn enough to pay it down. Then, after years of paying only interest, the loan rises to 100k.

There are many subjects I would like to study at a reasonable price. However, for me, when I see the price on many programs, the degree is not worth the cost.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,287,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm always somewhat taken back with the subject of "useless degrees" and while I can see the concerns from a student or more to the point a parents point of view (I'm an indentured servant to Pitt) I was browsing through a musical instrument catalogue and was taken aback by the price of musical instruments for aspiring musicians.

$3,000 for a French Horn, $6,000 for an oboe, $21,000 for a bassoon!!!

How absurd! Who would spend that kind of money on the off chance that their child MIGHT be lucky enough to get some low paying job with a medium sized symphonic orchestra? Insane!

But then I thought, what kind of society would we live in without young people who could play the introduction to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man, understand the beauty of Mark Twain's colloquial prose, know how to preserve the artistic integrity of an Andrew Wyeth, or understand the intrinsic value of a Gustav Stickley chair and its importance to the history of American design and craftsmanship?

We need students who study "useless degrees", I would hate to think of what kind of world this would be without them.
Who would spend that money on their child? Well, probably the parents of the children whose children were playing music since they were young. If you want to major "in the oboe", as an example, you have to audition for placement into the program. It's not like you just one day decide to play the oboe, declare the major, and they let you in. So some proficiency is required beforehand. The same is true for any art program, too; they want to see a portfolio. It is not necessarily to see if you have talent because they are going to teach you the oboe or art in the way that they want you to learn it. They do so to weed out those who are applying on a whim from those who have an honest passion.

Personally, I do not think that any major offered from any legitimate (i.e., not-for-profit) U.S. college is worthless (although I do question why some people choose the majors that they do) and it totally baffles my mind how some people can get in such a hiffy over what someone else chooses to study (although I have a guess as to why).

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM

547 posts, read 941,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As someone with a degree often incorrectly touted as "useless," who has never wanted for employment applicable to my degree, skill set, and interests, I have to roll my eyes at the "useless degree" rhetoric. I don't find that there are useless degrees, so much, as there are people completely useless at marketing their skills wisely and appropriately, or making the sacrifices necessary to get their foot in the door in their chosen field, who then want to blame it on the "useless" degree. Your degree isn't useless. You just aren't very good at putting it to use.
You know, I went to a semi-interview today with the phamacist at a phamacy for a particular grocery store. Even though she wasn't the one to make decisions on who to hire, I asked her if the bachelors degree I have could be used for more money. (It certainly didn't hurt to ask) She said she doesn't think so since the job only requires a pharmacy tech certification (which I have) and a high school diploma, to which I just said okay. Again, she doesn't make the hiring decisions, she just wanted to meet with me today. In my mind once she said the bachelors degree wouldn't do anything, I was thinking "how in the world is one supposed to get a decent wage at a job"? I wasn't asking for a 20 dollar wage, but something better than 11 or 12 dollars an hour, and perhaps the bachelors degree could be geared for a few dollars more.

However, I realize these jobs are low pay, even after you get a few years under your belt, and there's not much one can do to bargin for in trying to get higher pay. I keep on thinking to myself how one can go about and earn a decent wage at a job. The highest wage I've earned so far is 14 dollars an hour with the bachelors degree that I've had since 2005 and the pharmacy technician certification that I got last year, and I'm 30. 14 dollars is okay, and I'm not asking to get paid 50k a year, but I would like to earn over 30K sometime. I just don't think I ever will and don't know how to ever get a job that pays that.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,226,890 times
A good musician doesn't need a college degree in Music to make a career in music. He only needs to play very, very well and 4 years of college doesn't make him play any better. It's about talent....and practice.

So, in a way, it helps, but unless there is talent, it's useless. The time and money could probably be better spent. Teaching is a good choice. Good musicians can also teach and lead school orchastras.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,435,984 times
Default No degree is useless

I think any degree has incredible intrinsic value for the person who earned it. This makes no degree useless.

Playing a musical instrument and studying music is one of life's greatest joys IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities