Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro View Post
I stumbled across Yale University open courses. I also found that Stanford has a good collection of free courses available on line. The same goes for NYU. I am wondering what other universities allow you to watch their course lectures for free on the internet. Please let me know what you have found.
This is a new and growing trend. However, Stanford University provides full scholarships to anyone whose parents make less than $100,000/yr. U of Penn also provides full debt-free financial aid to in-state students. Yale and Harvard also provide full scholarship and aid (non-loan) packages to the poor if they have top grades. You can find free BA programs at bricks-and-mortar universities if you look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a new and growing trend. However, Stanford University provides full scholarships to anyone whose parents make less than $100,000/yr. U of Penn also provides full debt-free financial aid to in-state students. Yale and Harvard also provide full scholarship and aid (non-loan) packages to the poor if they have top grades. You can find free BA programs at bricks-and-mortar universities if you look around.
Why would the U of Penn do this for in-state students when it is a private school? Do you have a link for this?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why would the U of Penn do this for in-state students when it is a private school? Do you have a link for this?
Probably to reach out to bright local kids from disadvantaged homes (of which there are quite a few). Penn has become really big on giving back to Philly.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Keep in mind that you cannot earn a degree this way...but it's still a nice option if you just want to learn more about that topic.

The Ivy's and many highly selective schools have moved to income based tuition plans and if you make under about 60-75K/year, depending on the school, you go for free, tuition, room, board. Any loan aid is converted into grants so you also graduate debt free. If you make up to about 180K, adjusted gross, you pay 10% so at most you are paying $18,000/year to go to Harvard, Yale, etc. That is less than most in-state state schools. That is open to anyone in the US that can get into an Ivy. Also, Asian students are way over represented at most Ivy's and actually have the hardest time getting into those schools now. If you are a black student, Latino or American Indian, you have the easiest time getting in.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Keep in mind that you cannot earn a degree this way...but it's still a nice option if you just want to learn more about that topic.
I would look favorably on a candidate with a bunch of these courses on their resume if they were related to the position they were applying for because it shows initiative to take advantage of quality learning opportunities and follow through. I would want verification that they actually enrolled in and finished the course though. Not all of the participating schools offer letters or certificates though and I don't know how much or how long they keep student data for verification purposes.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This "in-state" advantage for Penn has been mentioned a couple of times on this forum, and it's just not true.

http://www.admissions.upenn.edu/payi...nancialAid.pdf

Quote:
Provides a no-loan aid package for undergraduates who receive financial aid.

Penn stands out as one of a very small number of universities that do not include loans as part of their aid packages. Penn makes it possible to graduate debt-free.
It's a PRIVATE University. There is zero advantage to being in-state, either for admissions or aid.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I would look favorably on a candidate with a bunch of these courses on their resume if they were related to the position they were applying for because it shows initiative to take advantage of quality learning opportunities and follow through. I would want verification that they actually enrolled in and finished the course though. Not all of the participating schools offer letters or certificates though and I don't know how much or how long they keep student data for verification purposes.
i wonder if you really could/should put that on your resume, though, and if so how you would present it. a lot of these things mention that they don't issue any course credit or have tests or any sort of concrete assessments
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
This "in-state" advantage for Penn has been mentioned a couple of times on this forum, and it's just not true.

http://www.admissions.upenn.edu/payi...nancialAid.pdf

It's a PRIVATE University. There is zero advantage to being in-state, either for admissions or aid.
i'm not disputing the facts for upenn bc i dont know anything about them, but i know that my school was private and still gave an advantage in admissions for in-state applicants. the cost was the same though

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That isn't quite true. Obviously there isn't some automatic boost to in-state applicants as would be the case for a state-funded university, but Penn really really really likes local kids. My suburban Philly open-enrollment high school with a class size of ~250 sends about 10 kids each year, as is the case with Philly's urban magnets and some of the nearby prep schools.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,359,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i wonder if you really could/should put that on your resume, though, and if so how you would present it. a lot of these things mention that they don't issue any course credit or have tests or any sort of concrete assessments
That's a very good point. Some might think that the completion of a 10 week course from Stanford would be a resume booster but unless there is some type of official validation that you took the course and passed all of the assessments, it's probably better to leave it off entirely.

That could depend on the industry though. An IT professional could likely get mileage by including IT-related courses that they have completed if those courses are supplemented by appropriate experience, degrees and certifications. It may also be helpful to include these courses if one has been unemployed for a reasonable length of time and wishes to show that they have been trying to advance their skill sets while seeking new opportunities. I suppose that information could be conveyed in an interview though but you'd have to be called in first. A resume that shows the person has been unemployed for 9 months may wind up in the shredder but if the employer sees that over that period, they have completed multiple courses related to their field from these programs, it might be enough to get them an interview.

I'm only saying that if someone did choose to include it under the Education heading of their resume, if they were being considered for a position we would attempt to verify that information.

Last edited by cleasach; 07-19-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: spellin'

Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That isn't quite true. Obviously there isn't some automatic boost to in-state applicants as would be the case for a state-funded university, but Penn really really really likes local kids. My suburban Philly open-enrollment high school with a class size of ~250 sends about 10 kids each year, as is the case with Philly's urban magnets and some of the nearby prep schools.
But this is not unusual to Penn. Many local Colleges have discounts for nearby HS students and easier enrollment policies. The top kids at our small HS can take classes at Lehigh or other close by colleges. Drexel has a program for inner city Philly kids. Lindy Scholar Advisors | Lindy Center for Civic Engagement | Drexel University

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities