Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,316,052 times

Advertisements

Will you have any opportunities for networking? Is the alumni network strong? Those are a few things you need to ask yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer52 View Post
I am hoping to get someopinions. I have a chance to get an MBA (of course not at a top school) for an out of pocket cost approx. $6,000, not including books.

For me, it would mean a few sacrifices, I don't make a ton of money right now but could swing it and would have my MBA in two years.

Do you think it is worth it? What are your opinions on getting a higher paying job with the MBA. I am certainly not looking to make six figures, but would like to have more opportunity and hope to have more doors open.

Thanks for any and all opinions.
I'm not interested in an MBA but if I were, it would depend upon what college.

MBA's are pretty elitist degrees. :Elitist" may not be the right word, but if the school is not "well connected", good luck. What is this school?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
When I worked in the corporate world years ago, my company (a very successful savings & loan in California) would have paid the bulk of the cost of my going to school for my MBA. They didn't care what school as long as it was accredited. If I had wanted to stay in the corporate world, I likely would have gotten the MBA as I like school.

It really depends so much on what you want to do with your life. Do those positions require or strongly recommend an MBA? Do they care where you got it? (That might be hard to know.) If so, then $6,000 seems pretty cheap to pay for it.

(I personally left the corporate world for a Ph.D. and academia and have not regretted it for a second!)
That is true as long as the company pays for it.

Business, as you know, is a whole other world.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,506,896 times
Is the school AACSB accredited? I don't know of an AACSB-accredited school that is that cheap.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM

308 posts, read 898,585 times
what? $6K for an MBA? you mean $6K per semester???
mine costed me $45K, and I went to a cheaper one!

I don't know of a single business degree which comes that cheap, even an undergraduate program... somebody must have misinformed you.

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM

69 posts, read 268,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Is the school AACSB accredited? I don't know of an AACSB-accredited school that is that cheap.
The OP said that he will have help in paying for it.

That means the $6k is HIS out of pocket expense, the rest will be paid for by somebody.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:52 PM

10 posts, read 9,819 times
Yes, as practical111 stated, the 6k is my out of pocket cost, it is not the actual cost of the degree. A 6k MBA would scare me!

I had my first meeting today with a Career Counselor at the university and decided to put off getting my MBA. She was worried that I am not truly motivated to get the degree as much as taking advantage of a low-cost MBA.

We discussed my career path, set short and long term goals and the steps I would need to make a career change. So this weekend will be spent updating my resume and researching jobs that I would be interested in, in my area.

So, the MBA is on hold. Can’t say I am sad about it though.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 AM

6 posts, read 7,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer52 View Post
Are you going currently going for your undergrad or grad degree? Should I get this book?
Im currently in undergrad studying business.

The book contains a lot of resources pertaining to business.

Reading is essential to success so you should buy it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities