Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2012, 04:40 AM
 
11 posts, read 36,815 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

My nephew graduated from college in the Spring and is sitting at home with his fancy History Degree trying to figure out what to do now. He was a great student. Nearly a 4.0 all the way through school and college. His parents told him that getting a high GPA was the most important thing in life and so he never worked any type of part time job or internship ever. He only knows how to study and take tests and write papers.

Once he graduated he wrote a letter to every large company in his hometown and asked for a job as a "management trainee" He is still waiting for a reply.

Do you know many young people in their early 20s like him? Great students with no work experience at all or any grasp of the world of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Reputation: 47148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Town Resident View Post

Do you know many young people in their early 20s like him? Great students with no work experience at all or any grasp of the world of work?
Nope.
All the twenty-somethings I know had jobs and/or internships over the years, even those with great grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 AM
 
912 posts, read 1,722,689 times
Reputation: 1117
Did he participate in any extracurricular activities? Anything relating to his major? Maybe he should try to get an unpaid internship in something relating to history just for the work experience. Then that could potentially turn into a full-time position, or at least make his resume look better for other opportunities. Also, it's almost always more difficult to get jobs with liberal arts degrees like his.

To be honest, that was pretty terrible advice from his parents. I'm surprised his advisors at school didn't tell him to get involved to have a more well-rounded resume. I just graduated college and my advisors ALWAYS pushed us to get involved in extracurricular activities. We were required to have an internship to graduate. Everyone always said that while grades are important, a B student with internships and leadership positions in extracurricular organizations is a more appealing job candidate than a straight A student that did nothing but go to class and study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM
 
607 posts, read 1,388,225 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Town Resident View Post
My nephew graduated from college in the Spring and is sitting at home with his fancy History Degree trying to figure out what to do now. He was a great student. Nearly a 4.0 all the way through school and college. His parents told him that getting a high GPA was the most important thing in life and so he never worked any type of part time job or internship ever. He only knows how to study and take tests and write papers.

Once he graduated he wrote a letter to every large company in his hometown and asked for a job as a "management trainee" He is still waiting for a reply.

Do you know many young people in their early 20s like him? Great students with no work experience at all or any grasp of the world of work?
History degree and no work experience. There's his problem. And no I don't know anybody in their early 20's like this. That's terrible advice from the parents, by the way. First of all, he needs to broaden his job search beyond "management trainee." Right now, he just needs to get job experience period. Therefore, he needs to take any job he can find, even if it's not his "dream job." Secondly, he needs to network, network, network. Getting jobs these days is more about who you know than what you know. Networking is crucial. Believe me, I wish I would've this when I graduated from college. Lastly, somebody needs to teach him how to job search because he is approaching it the wrong way. With most companies these days, especially large companies, the only way to apply for jobs is online. His letters are probably getting thrown away before they even reach HR. On a related note, I've applied for jobs where the company explicitly states that they will NOT accept anything by mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
 
912 posts, read 1,722,689 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
History degree and no work experience. There's his problem. And no I don't know anybody in their early 20's like this. That's terrible advice from the parents, by the way. First of all, he needs to broaden his job search beyond "management trainee." Right now, he just needs to get job experience period. Therefore, he needs to take any job he can find, even if it's not his "dream job." Secondly, he needs to network, network, network. Getting jobs these days is more about who you know than what you know. Networking is crucial. Believe me, I wish I would've this when I graduated from college. Lastly, somebody needs to teach him how to job search because he is approaching it the wrong way. With most companies these days, especially large companies, the only way to apply for jobs is online. His letters are probably getting thrown away before they even reach HR. On a related note, I've applied for jobs where the company explicitly states that they will NOT accept anything by mail.
And in order to apply for jobs online he needs a resume. But since he only ever focused on getting good grades, he doesn't have anything to put on the resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:08 PM
 
3,670 posts, read 7,135,415 times
Reputation: 4269
did he go to career fairs and recruiting events his junior and senior years? if he's just starting to look for jobs now its way late. he should consider going back to his campus when they have their fall career fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,724 posts, read 21,136,679 times
Reputation: 14823
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
... while grades are important, a B student with internships and leadership positions in extracurricular organizations is a more appealing job candidate than a straight A student that did nothing but go to class and study.

Damned straight! As a small business owner-manager myself, I hired dozens of kids just graduating from college -- often recruiting at colleges and always talking directly to the deans. For most positions a B average was fine. A 3.5 gpa got you fast tracked to middle management positions. But if you had no experience at all -- not in the private sector, not as an intern, not in extracurricular organizations -- your chances of being hired by me was nil. I wanted well-rounded employees, not geeks.

Your nephew needs to pound the pavement and find a way to talk to business owners/managers/HR departments. Waiting for an answer may not be enough in today's marketplace. And he needs to work. He can volunteer to work for nothing for a couple weeks if it'll get his foot in the right doors. Or he can work for MickeyD. He's at a disadvantage and needs to forge ahead a little harder than most, who have *some* work experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 PM
 
723 posts, read 2,187,435 times
Reputation: 927
HISTORY? Most of the students with parents that have the foresight to guide their children through higher education also tell them that a history degree will not get mega job offers.

Reminds me of the article where the writer screamed that even in this economy Ph.Ds are having tough times finding jobs. What was the featured Ph.D in? History.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:49 PM
 
1,761 posts, read 2,594,783 times
Reputation: 1568
it is going to be tough, very tough and somewhat similar to me. I graduated with a super useful English degree and some internship expereince- though not much.

If he has trouble writing up a resume, use the career consulers at school, get that in order. Yes even if he has no internship or job expereince at least having a decent resume is step one.

Broaden his search- Kudos for not being stuck too "I studied history I only want to do history". Many of these managmenet trainee programs will only take you if you had some prior expereince (believe me I know), cashier, retail etc... Still keep applying for the managment trainee jobs but don't wait months for that job to come in. Look into yes I know every college grad hates it, look into minimum wage work, the Target, Best buy etc... Just something, something he can put on his resume.

Beleive me Job+Degree, even if the job is minimum wage looks a lot better than Degree alone. If he is having no luck finding the minimum wage job then look into volunteering. However unless the volunteering opportunity is really top notch-still keep looking for work whilst volunteering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
2,309 posts, read 4,360,860 times
Reputation: 5355
Because of the disservice your nephews parents did to him they now must shoulder the burden brought about due to it.
He most likely will have be living at home searching for a job, any job to bring in money.

The companies your nephew wrote to are most likely overburdened with applications from those that have years of experience.

These 20 to 40 somethings will be given hiring preference first before a history graduate with absolutely no work experience.

I have a feeling he's going to be at home for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top