U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,301,061 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm on the verge of graduation...but I would perhaps like to extend my stay and get another degree. I'm 22, I'd be done at 23 if I were to simply not do a double major, but I'd be 24 or 25 if I did. My problem is, is that too long to be in college?

I'd have a BA in Phil and a BS in Math.

And all the debt associated with that.

Eventually, I'd like to find a nice job, work off all the debt, and start on a Ph.D program...by the time I'm 30 is when I'd look into Ph.D programs. Mostly because I've always wanted a Ph.D....call it my hobby of choice.

Is 25 too late?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,619,943 times
its not the age thats a problem, its whether it is worth the extra debt and 1-2 more years of little income. i think you should at least look into jobs and apply and see what you can do with what you have now/will have at graduation.

i am just about to turn 25 and there are still quite a few of my peers who are not out in the workforce yet for varying reasons. continued schooling is a big one. its not that weird.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 22,129,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Hi,

I'm on the verge of graduation...but I would perhaps like to extend my stay and get another degree. I'm 22, I'd be done at 23 if I were to simply not do a double major, but I'd be 24 or 25 if I did. My problem is, is that too long to be in college?

I'd have a BA in Phil and a BS in Math.

And all the debt associated with that.

Eventually, I'd like to find a nice job, work off all the debt, and start on a Ph.D program...by the time I'm 30 is when I'd look into Ph.D programs. Mostly because I've always wanted a Ph.D....call it my hobby of choice.

Is 25 too late?
It is not to late.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM

9,235 posts, read 14,783,320 times
You read or hear on the news every so often about people in their 50s, 60s and older than that graduating. No such thing as too late

Old 08-23-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You read or hear on the news every so often about people in their 50s, 60s and older than that graduating. No such thing as too late
right, but most of those people (hopefully) got a late start. a bachelor's degree is not designed to be a 6-8 year venture.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 22,129,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
right, but most of those people (hopefully) got a late start. a bachelor's degree is not designed to be a 6-8 year venture.
So what? Why does the OP have to do what everyone else does?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:49 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,400,890 times
If you get a PhD and that is important to you, the rest will somehow 'work out'. Life isn't just about money or getting somewhere by a certain time. (But do try to avoid burying yourself in debt along the way...it does make it a bit more tolerable.)

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So what? Why does the OP have to do what everyone else does?
the op can do what they want lol...i'm just explaining where his/her fears about being in school too long likely came from. you're talking about something totally different when you mention adults who go back to school at 50.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,301,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
its not the age thats a problem, its whether it is worth the extra debt and 1-2 more years of little income. i think you should at least look into jobs and apply and see what you can do with what you have now/will have at graduation.

i am just about to turn 25 and there are still quite a few of my peers who are not out in the workforce yet for varying reasons. continued schooling is a big one. its not that weird.
Yeah, that.

I'm not too concerned really about the time...I mean, I'll be in and out of college for the next 15 years of my life regardless.

My problem is, is it too much to go on for another 1.5-2years of college, being dirt poor, scraping by, and also accumulating massive amounts of debt? Or is it better to just graduate, get a dead end job, work off my debt, then enroll in a Ph.D program?

It doesn't help that I genuinely like being in college and I'm absolutely dreading going to work instead...especially 'no work' work.

Split the diff I guess; full time job and part time college after I finish the first degree, meaning no more social life. Uggh..

Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,977,080 times
There are plenty of students that take 5 and 6 years to graduate. My son had several college friends that were still working on degrees after 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities