Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,454 times

Advertisements

hey all!

so, I have a rather scattered academic history from various universities. I suppose I should give the chronological story to make it easier to follow. I got my B.A. in Psychology in 2008 (3.5 GPA) with the plan on going to law school. I went to law school for one year, hated it and dropped out. I have since got a Masters in Marketing (3.58 GPA) in 2011, but to be honest, I did not enjoy that line of work.

Long story short, I did some soul searching and signed up for some classes in the summer to see what fields I would be interested in. Turns out that I quite liked the Accounting course that I took, so I am taking some business prerequisites this fall so that I can apply for a Masters of Accounting program.

I suppose my major concern is that I have appeared to scattered and unfocused with my studies. Is that going prevent me from getting a good accounting job? or once i've passed the CPA test, does that override any of your past mistakes?

thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,497,088 times
The scores/grades you get in the M.Acc. or M.S.Acc. have to be good. Ok, BA in 2008 is recent, so that's good. Make sure you like accounting and you're not deluding yourself. It would help you to take the CPA exam. A/B students generally pass it.

Good luck. Holler if more questions. I count many bean counters among friends, and some in the family.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,616,720 times
while one could chock up your past as "scattered and unfocused", one could also say that is valuable life expereince. I am sort of in a similar situation (graduated in 2008 with a BA in english (parents talked/forced me to study to be a teacher-hated it, droped out and now I am going back to school in Sepetember for Nursing). Unfortnatley not everyone goes straight from "A to B", from major then job right away. Somtimes it takes time to find your calling, to find what you really want to do.

Dear god I wish I did nursing right away back in 2004 because I do love it, but there is nothing I can do about it now. And if it comes to a point where a hospital asks me "Why didnt you study nursing right away, why did you get an English degree?" Il simply explain it in some term of the benfits of an english degree, the knowledge I gained, the communication skills etc...

One could also say that your previous degree is a leg up for you bring a different insight than those who went straight from accounting to job.

Again not everyone goes straight from A to B, sometimes we divert, we try other things but as long as we get to "B", thats all that matters

Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,883,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The scores/grades you get in the M.Acc. or M.S.Acc. have to be good. Ok, BA in 2008 is recent, so that's good. Make sure you like accounting and you're not deluding yourself. It would help you to take the CPA exam. A/B students generally pass it.

Good luck. Holler if more questions. I count many bean counters among friends, and some in the family.
The quality of the school and the health of the job market that it feeds is more important than grades. The reason is there is rampant grade inflation in accounting graduate programs, as they don't grade on a curve and rarely give out C's or even B-'s. Part time program rarely give C's because some employers won't reimburse tuition payments if they don't get at least a B. Also, you'll get more essay/problem/paper classes and less multiple choice tests, which makes differentiating students more difficult. A ton of students will have 3.5+ GPAs which makes it kind of a meaningless measure, as everyone will have good grades. Also, on campus recruiting cycles for internships or full time jobs will occur before even grades are issued.

During interviews, you'll be questioned about your past choices and you just have to come up with a logical and persuasive reason why you know and are 100% positive that accounting is what you want to do. If you can't answer that question, you are going to have trouble. If you say you like math and crunching numbers, it shows you don't really know what accoutants do (that's stuff that finance and economics majors do than accountants).

Maybe if you call your alumni association, the local CPA society, or ask around to see if you can shadow or volunteer for a local CPA for a bit you can figure out if that type of work is for you. Maybe just having a couple of lunches to chat with accountants to see what their day to day life is like and what they like and hate about their jobs will do.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,497,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
The quality of the school and the health of the job market that it feeds is more important than grades. The reason is there is rampant grade inflation in accounting graduate programs, as they don't grade on a curve and rarely give out C's or even B-'s. Part time program rarely give C's because some employers won't reimburse tuition payments if they don't get at least a B. Also, you'll get more essay/problem/paper classes and less multiple choice tests, which makes differentiating students more difficult. A ton of students will have 3.5+ GPAs which makes it kind of a meaningless measure, as everyone will have good grades. Also, on campus recruiting cycles for internships or full time jobs will occur before even grades are issued.

During interviews, you'll be questioned about your past choices and you just have to come up with a logical and persuasive reason why you know and are 100% positive that accounting is what you want to do. If you can't answer that question, you are going to have trouble. If you say you like math and crunching numbers, it shows you don't really know what accoutants do (that's stuff that finance and economics majors do than accountants).

Maybe if you call your alumni association, the local CPA society, or ask around to see if you can shadow or volunteer for a local CPA for a bit you can figure out if that type of work is for you. Maybe just having a couple of lunches to chat with accountants to see what their day to day life is like and what they like and hate about their jobs will do.
I would say that the top of the bell shaped curve in graduate business school is about 3.3. Everybody knows the bottom of what is possible to grant a graduate degree, in general, is a 3.0. Therefore, a 3.7 + is pretty good.

You'd be surprised what smoke and mirrors people can pull off in interviews. They learn that a profession or sector is not for them later on.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,616,720 times
bottomline is, if accouting is what you really want to do then go for it.
The worst feeling is to not do it then regret it later in life. You may not have done :

High school-College major in Accounting-Graduate with Accounting as many have done, but that is life, as much as we want, we cannot change the past.

Not everyone knows exactly what they want to do in thier early 20s, I wish my life was a straight A to B, but it was not, I am focused now and I know what I want to do and I will finish it. And you must do the same, so what if you where a little late to the acounting game-as long as you finish tis all that matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities