Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 87,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
As a Master's student in the subject, I will definitely say that IR is an interesting subject. I did my undergrad (2008-12) at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. Now I am doing the Master's at the University of Queensland, Australia.

The program seems to be particularly important. Coming from an elite university will connect you instantly within the academic field (which liaises significantly with think tanks and policy makers). I love being at UQ and hearing from my current profs how they met so-and-so from St Andrews at a conference or sat with him/her on a journal editing team.

As for jobs, I will get back to you. I had to turn down that crucial summer internship in between junior and senior year due to family matters. I was accepted to go to Berlin that summer, but my mother was diagnosed with cancer. As she died in early September of that summer, I probably made an emotionally correct choice.

If you have an idea of what career you wish to go into, pick a school accordingly. DC schools feed into government career tracks (there are pros and cons with this system, but that's reality), for example. Find out where the alumni get hired. St Andrews, for example, had an eclectic mix. We had many who went into investment banking, the foreign ministry of their respective countries, NGO's, the UN, think tanks, and a notable contingent into human resource departments.

Consider also the different models of teaching the discipline. IR is taught differently in Europe than it is in the US. And the UK and Commonwealth countries are different yet. In the US, for example, great value is placed on scientific methodology and analytical statistics. In the UK, there is more of a focus on an approach informed by the humanities...ethical discussions and analysis of historical case studies. This is of course broadly and generally speaking.
If considering going into more of the international direction like say the UN or some of the bigger non profits is it better to have obtained your masters in the US or in Europe? Or does it not make that much of a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Id say if you got some great references, internships, past expereince backing you up then your IR will serve you well (though that could be said about any liberal art degree really). Graduating alone though, just IR and nothing behind it, will be tough most likely you will be working at the Starbucks, the Shop Rite till something better comes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities