Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,604,548 times

Advertisements

Child is a jr in hs and is starting to look at colleges.......wants to go into nursing maybe even being a dr...........what r your thoughts or experience with Quinnipac University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
Child is a jr in hs and is starting to look at colleges.......wants to go into nursing maybe even being a dr...........what are your thoughts or experience with Quinnipac University
I've heard that Quinnipac is a very good college with a beautiful campus. It's not known for very generous merit or financial aid and it's sticker price is substantial. If your child is interested in further schooling after a BS, the general rule of thumb is to find an undergrad school that has very high acceptance rate into med school and a low price since you'll need that money for med school.

The tricky part about finding what schools have high acceptance rates is that some schools just have known weed out classes so only the brightest succeed anyway.

This is a great time of year to visit college open houses and see what appeals to your child. One very important piece of advice I was given was to be open about cost. We told each of our kids very early in the process what we could afford and I spent time researching each colleges admission and financial aid information before even visiting.

This site will give you some fast facts about Quinnipac College Navigator - Quinnipiac University

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 AM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I've heard that Quinnipac is a very good college with a beautiful campus. It's not known for very generous merit or financial aid and it's sticker price is substantial. If your child is interested in further schooling after a BS, the general rule of thumb is to find an undergrad school that has very high acceptance rate into med school and a low price since you'll need that money for med school.

The tricky part about finding what schools have high acceptance rates is that some schools just have known weed out classes so only the brightest succeed anyway.

This is a great time of year to visit college open houses and see what appeals to your child. One very important piece of advice I was given was to be open about cost. We told each of our kids very early in the process what we could afford and I spent time researching each colleges admission and financial aid information before even visiting.

This site will give you some fast facts about Quinnipac College Navigator - Quinnipiac University
Agree with Toobusytoday. Why Quinnipiac? There are many four year colleges that are known to be more generous and have the BSN - four year nursing degree.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Quinnipac was on our DD's list for a while. It came off simply because her list was too long. We found that their science program was very good, pre-med acceptance rates were excellent for those that apply. As for the comment about "weed out" courses. Those are there for a reason. If you can't hack that course, you aren't going to make it in med school. Those schools that let "everyone" apply for medical school typically are not very strong schools for medical school candidates. We are going through this process with our daughter right now so we are pretty focused on the ins and outs of all of this.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,662 times
I have only heard good things about quinnipiac, but there are a ton of schools that have nursing and she needs more than 1 anyway.

There's a lot of good schools in Boston, one being Simmons College, you could also try Long Island University- Brooklyn Campus

Old 10-06-2012, 02:25 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,237,709 times
What about Fairfirld U?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities