Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM

21,017 posts, read 27,126,094 times

Advertisements

I can relate to Beilua Rose in a bad college situation. After completing my junior year of college in 2004, I was depressed with my progress. I hoped to earn a bachelor's degree in biology. I struggled with my studies, lost focus, and felt like I burned out. What was to be a semester or year away from college turned into eight years away from my studies. I regret not finishing and conditions were bad, but I found positives since.

I am trying to get the urge to contact with the college I attended and see what field of study better suits me and what courses I need to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 PM

472 posts, read 1,095,081 times
Just know you're not alone! I'm 24 and still in school. I'm finishing it up online. After numerous breaks I've decided to finish. I'll be done in June after a summer session and ill be 25. Sometimes it's hard for me to deal with the idea that ill be 25 and just finishing my bachelors. And I've got to be honest, I'm taking a full load of engineering classes and I feel like I'm in over my head. It's hard at times to not feel defeated. Ive lost a lotof motivation to even care this semester. Just know you can always go back if you feel it's right timing.

Formal education makes you a living, self education makes you a fortune. A degree doesn't define you, make you any smarter, or make you a better person. It'll get you a job. You will learn from this experience. You're young! Don't feel bad, sweetie.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 AM

12,077 posts, read 23,194,876 times
Do you have student loan debt and how close are you to graduating?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,321,965 times
Reminder, you can NOT just go back to school anytime. I think there is a statute of limitations on how many years your credits are good for... 10 years maybe? Check this out, you do not want to have wasted your money and time invested so far. Otherwise you will have to start all over again. I am in this boat. I would just take a short break and finish up one class a semester if you are burned out. (if your school lets you do this), if they don't find another school.
A bachelors degree gets you in the door. W/O one, the HR departments just flush your resume, doesn't matter how much additional classes and professional development you may have later on down the line.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:17 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,418,988 times
Don't beat yourself up, and do not think of yourself as a failure. College remains optional for a reason. Not all people are suited for college. Some people tire easily of learning institutions and want to experience the "real world". I was two plus years in at NYU when I decided that I wanted to enter the workforce full time. It was supposed to be a "leave" (and my professor told me to come back), but I made the decision that I was through. My parents weren't happy. But after twelve intense years of schooling and exams and repetition, I wanted to work. I wanted to learn by doing, not by listening to people talk and reading. Also, graduating with a BFA would have gotten me a job making $18,000/year at the time as a production assistant. Arts degrees from that college came with a high price tag but not much ROI. I ended up attending a trade school for legal secretarial and have been working in law firms as either a paralegal or legal secretary since I was 19. I make very good money and my profession has allowed me to purchase real estate, travel, and contribute meaningfully to my household. Will I go back to college? Yes, definitely. But for the right reasons this time, and I'll have real world experience under my belt as well. I really do think people should take a break between college and high school, and work a little. If you're ambitious and smart, people will notice regardless.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:29 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,151,111 times
if you started right after high school you should be on your last year, in which case i would definitely reconsider. you can pull through another 9 months. you didn't give many details though. maybe you're really behind in school or maybe this last bit is going to cost you a lot more money. who knows. either way you probably know better than we do. talk to a school counselor about it.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM

72 posts, read 224,484 times
The thing is, any job that you'd be qualified for right now and would be lucky enough to get wouldn't pay a living wage and would likely be more mind-numbing and degrading than college. You may not feel that either option is attractive right now, but the longer you put off getting a degree, the longer it'll be before you can be in a situation that isn't mind-numbing.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
I feel you bro. I'm going through it now. When I was playing junior college football **** I was happy all day long. I wanted to go to school and wanted to write 20 page papers. Shoot now at a university (not playing football tore my knee) I absolutely hate it. I'm constantly miserable, depressed, feel like I'm in a closed box that I can't break out of. This feeling I get is crazy all I do is mope around. I study all night long trying to better my grades. Oh might you when I graduate my junior college I had honors and now I have if I'm lucky a 2.0. So ya man you are not the only person who is miserable. Oh ya I'm 23.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 AM

97 posts, read 97,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I just need a break. My mind is numb. I have no motivation. I just don't feel like going to school. It is one thing to not like school, but to just be so.. indifferent of school. I just do not care. I am going to work 7 days a week. I just don't want to feel any outstanding responsibility once I leave an institution. Honestly, I just do not care. Why do I feel so evil?

Yes, the title was supposed to be without a question mark..
Better now than later. People return to school in their 30's for many reasons: yours, better career, etc.

Our society breeds people like you. Meaning you probably didn't know what you wanted to do/study after High School but since everyone else went to College, you didn't want to stick out.

The worst thing you can do is stay in school and run up school loans or even get academically disqualified.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,473,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I just need a break. My mind is numb. I have no motivation. I just don't feel like going to school. It is one thing to not like school, but to just be so.. indifferent of school. I just do not care. I am going to work 7 days a week. I just don't want to feel any outstanding responsibility once I leave an institution. Honestly, I just do not care. Why do I feel so evil?

Yes, the title was supposed to be without a question mark..
You're not a bad person, but you may be making a bad decision. I know plenty of people who set out to take a break from school, maybe take a year off. In every case, a year off turned into a decade off or more, and in the end, they had to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities