Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 AM

262 posts, read 648,062 times

Advertisements

I just need a break. My mind is numb. I have no motivation. I just don't feel like going to school. It is one thing to not like school, but to just be so.. indifferent of school. I just do not care. I am going to work 7 days a week. I just don't want to feel any outstanding responsibility once I leave an institution. Honestly, I just do not care. Why do I feel so evil?

Yes, the title was supposed to be without a question mark..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,483,373 times
Don't feel bad about it! I don't think you should try to keep going if you feel so unmotivated about school (sounds like). You can go back to school anytime! Or, maybe you won't find it necessary! I'm sure you have benefited from what you have done so far (even if it's just in learning about how you gel/or not, with the school setting).

If you are going to be working - you will be learning there also - and/or achieving something new. Maybe you have a need to be making your own way - and that's admirable too. And I think it's 'normal' at your age.

I think you mean you feel 'bad', not 'evil'? You maybe feel like you didn't finish what you planned to finish - but plans change in life. Just have to try to make the best decision at the time and go with it. If you feel you've really considered it thoroughly - then that's it.

The 'voices out there' have made school sound very important. And, it may be - but maybe not for everyone. I say, take a break - and don't feel bad (and certainly not 'evil') about it!!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM

20,738 posts, read 19,183,599 times
It depends on what do you want to do for a living.

I think college is over-rated for most people. Most jobs do not require a college education. The four years you spend wading through college could be put to better use working full time.

However, some occupations absolutely require a college education.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,905,796 times
I have to agree with that...college is NOT for everyone! If you know what you want to do, get vocational training to do it. If you don't know yet what you'd like to pursue, just get any job....either you'll like it or not. If not, get another, until you find something that "feels" right to you...then, begin working your way up the ladder at THAT job!

Man, this country NEEDS folks who can build, repair, concoct, etc....things! Education is fine and good, but not everyone is cut out for 4-8 years of extra education.

You are normal.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM

37,011 posts, read 41,869,931 times
Let it go. Don't waste too much time doing something that doesn't interest you. I would encourage my kids to finish up if they were close to achieving a degree, certificate, etc. just because the time was put in and they would have something to show for it, but there is no reason you can't go back later if the mood strikes and if you actually have something to do instead like working.

My son is your age and would like to quit college now as well. He started at a CC and has been accepted as a Junior transfer to a 4 year but he's really struggling to get enthused about it. Fortunately while he was knocking out his lower division GE courses I pushed him to take classes that would also get him his AA Degree so even if he stops now he has something. Unfortunately there is no job for him at this point other than the part time work he's been doing since HS, not something he wants to pursue as a career but he doesn't know what he wants to do, so he will probably keep plugging away at college until something better comes along. And he does benefit from getting out of his comfort zone and meeting different people so it's not a total waste.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,870,036 times
I suggest that this be moved to the Education section.

Your not a bad person. Everyone needs a break. Depending on the career that you want,you need a college education.

I work two jobs. I work as a bus operator for Septa and a nurse assistance at a clinic. I didn't go to college because the career I wanted being a bus/subway operator came true.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM

638 posts, read 1,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Don't feel bad about it! I don't think you should try to keep going if you feel so unmotivated about school (sounds like). You can go back to school anytime! Or, maybe you won't find it necessary! I'm sure you have benefited from what you have done so far (even if it's just in learning about how you gel/or not, with the school setting).

If you are going to be working - you will be learning there also - and/or achieving something new. Maybe you have a need to be making your own way - and that's admirable too. And I think it's 'normal' at your age.

I think you mean you feel 'bad', not 'evil'? You maybe feel like you didn't finish what you planned to finish - but plans change in life. Just have to try to make the best decision at the time and go with it. If you feel you've really considered it thoroughly - then that's it.

The 'voices out there' have made school sound very important. And, it may be - but maybe not for everyone. I say, take a break - and don't feel bad (and certainly not 'evil') about it!!
I agree with Zelva.. I'm more worried about your feelings of self-worth over this decision. I think you should be proud of yourself for knowing that you need a break. When I was in college I didn't know what I wanted. I probably should have taken time off like you to decide better where I wanted to go in life. Instead I "numbed" my way on thru and ended up grabbing at a teaching degree and hated it.

College is numbing.. the first two years of "pre-req's" are just a continuation of high school courses. It's usually the last two years that you decide your major. You learn a lot more in life getting out there, involved, and experiencing life and figuring out what you really like and what you don't like.

Please don't beat yourself up over this decision. It could be the smartest thing you ever did.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,884,144 times
How far are you from finishing your degree?
While I'm sure what you're saying is true (that you're tired/indifferent), perhaps you just need a break for a while. I would highly recommend eventually finishing up if you're close.
Take a break. Get a job somewhere. See the world. Whatever...but that degree might come in mighty handy one day. It's better to have one than not, especially if you're on the cusp of completing it.
Good luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,496,445 times
You probably fall into one of three categories:
  • College is not for everyone.
  • Sometimes college isn't the place to be "right now."
  • You can't see the forest through the trees.

I fell into the third category. I was in the wrong major and changed late in the game. Even then, I wasn't positive that I was making the right decision. But I plowed through that last semester and got that stupid piece of paper. Come to find out, I enjoyed the company where I was hired. I was then promoted to a different position and really enjoyed what I was doing. Sometimes the degree is just a means to an end, and sometimes you may not even have a clue where it will take you.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,646,610 times
I almost dropped out, I 'took a semester off, that is, I just said 'screw it' and stopped showing up.
Put me back further than I needed to be.

But, I stuck in there, and I'm graduating.

I figured that since school sucks and work sucks, but I'll be working for a long time, I might as well experience school for as long as possible.

Just hang in there imo.

2 years of garbage, but then, you get to do anything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities