Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:17 PM

24,163 posts, read 32,692,169 times

Advertisements

Looking for good reasonable ONLINE classes for a Junior in HS.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM

890 posts, read 1,655,058 times
try your local community college

Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,282,029 times
i've seen you post about NYC - if that is the location there is always this
Pre-College

It looks like you may be in NEPA though - if so there is this CC near Wilkes-Barre
Luzerne County Community College - Admissions - High School Enrollment Programs

Other than that, I would look at CCs in whatever you home district is - they will offer the best costs and may have online/independent or night study that could fit into a HS schedule

I was fortunate that my HS had an agreement with a local CC where I was able to take some classes in my HS location that were offered through the local CC - so I was able to replace HS classes with CC classes and not have to take on additional coursework or commute to the college

Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,633,723 times
Sheena, You might want to look at cyber schools - Free Pennsylvania Cyber School | Commonwealth Connections Academy

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,869,979 times
I'll second the Community College suggestion -- many schools have a good selection of online courses. In my state, no matter what your local CC is, you can take distance classes from any school in the system for the same price.

Also, I know that BYU offers several classes and the tuition isn't terribly outrageous.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,850 posts, read 58,453,030 times
Check with YOUR state programs.

My state pays for HS students to go to college INSTEAD of HS. Worked for mine, and many others.

Kids passed college entrance exam in grade9, then... all my kids had to pay for was books. State paid the tuition. (It Was a heck of a lot cheaper for the State than schooling a k-12 traditional student. And It saved my kids QUITE alot of college expense (and a few yrs of their time / lost earning potential).

ONLINE UT and MT have very complete online offerings (due to long distance students in rural places).

Lots of colleges offer FREE (not for credit) classes. (Like MIT )

I-tunes U, I use it all the time!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I'll second the Community College suggestion -- many schools have a good selection of online courses. In my state, no matter what your local CC is, you can take distance classes from any school in the system for the same price.

Also, I know that BYU offers several classes and the tuition isn't terribly outrageous.
I know about the BYU classes and they are not religious and the school is well respected. However, at least from what I have read they do not bear credit. Am I incorrect?

Also, we are moving sometime between now and December - we have some lose ends to tie up here, I'm not sure what community college she would use. Also, the semester has already begun.

Do any colleges offer admission at any time of the year? I only was able to find one - Concordia in Wisconsin has a limited offering but the ability to start any time. I think they are under 200 per credit.

Thanks for your input. She is very motivated right now and I'm really trying to help her to take at least a couple of college classes.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Check with YOUR state programs.

My state pays for HS students to go to college INSTEAD of HS. Worked for mine, and many others.

Kids passed college entrance exam in grade9, then... all my kids had to pay for was books. State paid the tuition. (It Was a heck of a lot cheaper for the State than schooling a k-12 traditional student. And It saved my kids QUITE alot of college expense (and a few yrs of their time / lost earning potential).

ONLINE UT and MT have very complete online offerings (due to long distance students in rural places).

Lots of colleges offer FREE (not for credit) classes. (Like MIT )

I-tunes U, I use it all the time!
Thanks! The thing about "our state" is we are between states - literally. She could be a student with out a state for a while, because I think that it takes at least a year.

I am looking into MIT now because they seem to have a good offering and selection of topics. She is looking at this right now.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I know about the BYU classes and they are not religious and the school is well respected. However, at least from what I have read they do not bear credit. Am I incorrect?
I thought they carried BYU credit, but perhaps not? Guess you'd need to verify that with the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Also, we are moving sometime between now and December - we have some lose ends to tie up here, I'm not sure what community college she would use. Also, the semester has already begun.

Do any colleges offer admission at any time of the year? I only was able to find one - Concordia in Wisconsin has a limited offering but the ability to start any time. I think they are under 200 per credit.

Thanks for your input. She is very motivated right now and I'm really trying to help her to take at least a couple of college classes.
I'm taking an online CC class right now that started last week, but it's an 8-week accelerated course. Regular classes started last month. It all depends on the school and the class.

She could probably attend any CC in the country that offers online classes. As I mentioned, the CCs in my state are all inter-connected so that no matter your "home school," you can take classes offered at any location simply by completing an enrollment form for that location.

Since we're mid-semester right now, perhaps she could take a non-accredited course just to get her feet wet, then start a "real" class in January? Straighterline.com offers several classes that may, but more likely would not, be accepted for credit when she goes to college. However, they're very reasonably priced, especially if she can finish a class in a month or so. Other options are NYU's Open Education program and MIT's OpenCourseWare -- both offer free college-level classes, but not for credit.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,633,723 times
Sheena, Why not just home school for this semester? My youngest took a few college classes in HS, but for the most part, aren't College classes for College students? If you know the new HS's curriculum and grad requirements, could she be home schooled perhaps using the textbooks that they are currently using this semester in the new HS? My concern would be having to start the second part of say, AP Euro in January without having had the first semester. Our HS is pretty strict about grad requirements and will make transfer juniors and seniors take grad required classes with Freshman and sophomores if they had not had them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities