U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM

27 posts, read 81,085 times

Advertisements

Things are tough out there. With the competition from China and technology allowing the outsourcing of millions of jobs, only the most competent will be able to obtain success in the professional world.

But in most Colleges and Universities the pressure on Instructors and Professors is to make the classes more engaging and easier so the students will not drop out. How many students return for their next academic year is a benchmark for both Professors and Administrators. Better not make the course too hard or the students will get overwhelmed and drop out and the college will look bad.

This is the opposite of what is happening in the world of business. In the real world work is getting harder, more hours at work is expected and if you can't cut it you are fired and there are hundreds of people waiting to take your place. College life is the complete opposite. What gives?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM

44,266 posts, read 56,113,591 times
They should be tougher to weed out the people who are watering down the degrees.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM

18,094 posts, read 15,416,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Home Seller View Post
Things are tough out there. With the competition from China and technology allowing the outsourcing of millions of jobs, only the most competent will be able to obtain success in the professional world.
Outsourcing has nothing to do with college, a person can go to the toughest college ever and this will have no impact on the decision a business makes to outsource. Plus, most outsourced jobs do not require any education and minimal skills that are usually learned on the job.

Quote:
But in most Colleges and Universities the pressure on Instructors and Professors is to make the classes more engaging and easier so the students will not drop out. How many students return for their next academic year is a benchmark for both Professors and Administrators. Better not make the course too hard or the students will get overwhelmed and drop out and the college will look bad.
A person can make a class so hard no one would ever pass, or make it so easy no one could ever fail; so there are standards to measure by, how else should they do it? Exactly what are your suggestions for making college more difficult?

Quote:
This is the opposite of what is happening in the world of business. In the real world work is getting harder, more hours at work is expected and if you can't cut it you are fired and there are hundreds of people waiting to take your place. College life is the complete opposite. What gives?
Work is not getting harder, technology has made work easier and increased productivity; setting unrealistic goals and having draconian policies such as "we fire 20% of the lowest performers each year" is what makes the work harder, has nothing to do with college.

As for working hours, again, how does this relate to course difficulty in college? If the economy is so bad there are "hundreds of people" ready to take my place, perhaps you should focus on why there are hundreds of needy people willingly to work their entire waking life, isntead of thinking there is some causation between college course difficulty, hours worked, number of people ready to take that work, difficulty of work, and outsourcing.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM

8,895 posts, read 12,793,050 times
Depends where you go to school and what you major in.

School to me has always been challenging. Work in comparison is easier. You forget it about it when you walk out the door and on the weekend.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,840,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Depends where you go to school and what you major in.

School to me has always been challenging. Work in comparison is easier. You forget it about it when you walk out the door and on the weekend.
At least for me, that's been the case even before I entered college.

But to answer the original question, college classes generally don't prepare students now, so I would have to agree. Come on, let's face it, how is filling out dozens of anthropology assignments or preparing for PE midterms going to help you with a career as a journalist or lawyer? Maybe once in awhile, you will have to use some political or mathematical basics but all of that should of been covered back in MS.

American standards are "behind the bar" compared to East Asia (especially in terms of math and science), as has already been mentioned.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,457,256 times
Actually, high school needs to be more rigorous. Way too much time is spent remediating freshmen who should have learned how to write a coherent sentence, compose a paragraph that actually makes sense, perform simple mathematics, and spell before coming to post-secondary school.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,742,078 times
Except for the hard sciences, high school and college are pretty much a joke, education wise. It took me 10 years to get my Bachelor Degree because it was so insufferably boring and inane. I swore if someone told me to "break into discussion groups" one more time, I was going to hurt someone. Asking what a 19 year old student "thinks" about politics is not, in my opinion, learning.

Making classes more difficult would be an improvement. The problem, however, is that you have a generation of students who were raised in a "touchy feely" school environment where education was not the focus. And that mindset continues to generation that is in school today. If you hope to compete in the international market, things are going to have to change, pronto, in our educational system and then it is going to be 12 years before it really pays off.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or