Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 AM

696 posts, read 1,431,494 times

Advertisements

The choices
Virginia Tech, James Madison University, Virginia Commonwealth University

The field(s)
business, music (not performance, but everything else including the business and engineering of), environmental science, math, political science

The student
looks like an MBA but thinks like a hippie, Governor's School smart but not the most hard-working, extra-curriculars = theater/indie cover band/skateboarding

The goal
a complete education including interesting culture where he is (not interested in Radford or Longwood, too remote & small-town) so he can deepen and broaden his interests
  • On the theater/music side it seems like JMU is the right pick but ... party school & Harrisonburg=meh.
  • If he goes in the math/science direction VT seems like a no-brainer and they're currently building a performance/arts center so there will be some growth on that side of things but ... Blacksburg=smallish town (but with indie theater and ethnic food etc.). Tech seems like the best option to have on his resume too.
  • If he picks overall culture and "broadening horizons" then VCU is a great fit but the academics aren't as great.
Since he is all over the map with regard to majors, it's hard to know which will be the right school when he's ready to declare. What else to consider? How to choose? (He has been to all three and we know the rankings on paper.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,893 times
i would just go to tech since he isn't sure about his major. he will probably change his mind a million more times lol (he is 18 after all), so he might as well be at the better institution. apply to all three, though, and see what sort of financial aid and scholarship offers he gets. financial aid would probably be about the same at all three, but if he's a strong student he might get some scholarship offers at vcu. i know they are trying to improve their academic reputation right now so i'm willing to bet they'd offer something to a great student.

just a personal anecdote, but i went to hs in va (class of 2005). just about everyone i know who went to tech is working at a "real" job right now while just about everyone i know who went to vcu is waiting tables. still, if it comes to a full ride at vcu vs sticker price at tech then i'd lean toward vcu.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 AM

17,444 posts, read 16,620,623 times
JMU for this student. Decent Business school and liberal arts. What's wrong with Harrisonburg?

Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,873,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
JMU for this student. Decent Business school and liberal arts. What's wrong with Harrisonburg?
The problem with JMU and a lot of Virginia public universities is that they are very regional in nature. VT is a very large land grant institution that is known nationally. It is like a Big 10 or SEC college like Tennessee or Michigan St.

JMU is a regional state school like a East Tennessee State or Northern Illinois University that just doesn't draw a lot of employers from outside of the region, nor do they have extensive alumni networks or name recognition.

I think it is a big step down in terms of reputation, particularly if you want to live in larger cities in the region like DC, Charlotte, Philadelphia, or Atlanta. VT's rep and alumni network will work better for jobs.

If you are going to a smaller city in western VA or Richmond, JMU will probably be fine.

VT has a unique culture that is built upon its founding as an agriculture and engineering school, so you'll have to balance that culture with the obvious advantages in terms of jobs and alumni. If he's going to be miserable there, then there's no point in going.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Why not UVa? I didn't know about it when I was younger, but what a kick-ass school to have gone to!

Of those, I think Virginia Tech is clearly the better school. In fact, in some departments, the local train of thought is that VT is actually more applied and practical than is UVa.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,848,047 times
V. Tech.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,572,118 times
What's up with picking now? Apply to all, see what the financial aid shakes out and then decide. Ranking wise it's UVA, VT and then James Madison. I know kids that have been happy at all three. In fact, my one sister in law graduated from both VT (Engineering) and James Madison (Education). Unless the OP is an excellent student, it's not a done deal that you'll get into to all three. I found that the order of what was the favorite college changed between applying in the fall and decision time in early Spring. No need to rush. The accepted students events can be really helpful too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,431,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's boring! We love the Little Grill though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Why not UVa? I didn't know about it when I was younger, but what a kick-ass school to have gone to!
UVA isn't on his list because it's a much more conservative culture than he's interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
What's up with picking now? Apply to all, see what the financial aid shakes out and then decide.
He's not picking now, he's researching now.

Thanks all.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
UVA isn't on his list because it's a much more conservative culture than he's interested in.

Thanks all.
You're welcome. I could see your UVa observation. I, too, think I would have loved the idea of being a graduate of that institution, but wouldn't have bonded that well with the school because of the Southern aristocracy factor. Good luck to your kid.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 10-15-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities