Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,566 times

Advertisements

Guess the moral of this thread is finding a job is a little education, a little people skills... and a whole lotta luck. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Guess the moral of this thread is finding a job is a little education, a little people skills... and a whole lotta luck. :P
Add to that:

1) Some good judgment

Applying for only jobs that are an exact fit generally works poorly. Companies often advertise looking for more than they actually either need or expect to find.

2) No small degree of persistence

It is easy to feel despair in the job hunting process. "Selling yourself" hurts when nobody seems to be buying.

3) Willingness to accept help

For far too many jobs, it really is who you know, rather than what you know, that gets your foot in the door.

4) Flexibility

I took a job as a temp at the same time as another person. Every time they asked in the temp pool if one of us would be willing to help in a different department, I said yes. The other person noted that s/he had been hired to do data entry, so s/he would stick to that, thank you.

At the end of a year, I landed a full time job, while adding many new skills to my repertoire, and s/he had been gone for 6 months. I worked in my new field for 5 years (making far better money than as a teacher), volunteering in programs that let me teach kids part time, before returning to teaching as my primary work.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post
Education has never been waste of time.
No, but sometimes schooling is - which is part of the point.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:00 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
No, but sometimes schooling is - which is part of the point.
Basically we need to educate ourselves and if not we will be so ignorants.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Well, they say the best thing to do these days is be a liberal arts major. You study a wide spectrum of things and it prepares you for many possible jobs. Not to mention, you can decide what you want your focus to be. I know here in the states, you only have to have taken 4 economics courses at a university to be considered an economist. This applies to some other career fields too. With a liberal arts degree, you will be flexible and prepared for many different jobs. Not to mention, with a liberal arts education, there is a lot of focus on thinking critically, speaking properly, and writing well. Employers look for things like that.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:16 PM

372 posts, read 849,383 times
A degree is simply a tool. It's up to you to decide which is best for you and how to use it.

I could dig a hole by hand, but I'd much rather have a shovel. Then again if I'm digging on a concrete pad, the shovel might not do me any good.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I know here in the states, you only have to have taken 4 economics courses at a university to be considered an economist.
That's only if you plan on working where there is little actual economic research being done. Anywhere that does heavy-duty econometrics or theory work will generally require a PhD, or at the very least a Masters degree and good work experience.

As far as the original topic, I don't know if purely having a degree ever really automatically guaranteed you a job. It depends a lot on what the degree is in, your qualifications, and work experience.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,424 times
Quote:
Applying for only jobs that are an exact fit generally works poorly. Companies often advertise looking for more than they actually either need or expect to find.
I see that quite often. If your basic skills are close, it's worth applying, IMO.

Quote:
2) No small degree of persistence

It is easy to feel despair in the job hunting process. "Selling yourself" hurts when nobody seems to be buying.
And apply all over the place! And if you work in an industry like IT where you can apply online - apply as much as you can. On my last job search, I was applying to a dozen jobs every day!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 PM

33 posts, read 309,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Well, they say the best thing to do these days is be a liberal arts major. You study a wide spectrum of things and it prepares you for many possible jobs. Not to mention, you can decide what you want your focus to be. I know here in the states, you only have to have taken 4 economics courses at a university to be considered an economist. This applies to some other career fields too. With a liberal arts degree, you will be flexible and prepared for many different jobs. Not to mention, with a liberal arts education, there is a lot of focus on thinking critically, speaking properly, and writing well. Employers look for things like that.
Communication major gets no love

8 months after I graduated, im still looking for the "right" job.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
And apply all over the place! And if you work in an industry like IT where you can apply online - apply as much as you can. On my last job search, I was applying to a dozen jobs every day!
I honestly don't know how many jobs I applied to during my search. I think maybe 30 or 40? I'd just go online for a few hours and keep clicking away. I figured I'd get the ability to be picky once I had a few offers on the table, so just applied to anything that was remotely relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities