U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM

30,306 posts, read 75,197,082 times

Advertisements

All the states are broke.

There are only so many options to loans, especailly now when grants are pretty much gone.

Scholarships. Work. Beg from relatives. Enter every writing contest you can find.

You can study for a year then work for a year back and forth.

You can steal cars, sell drugs, rob banks, or if you want to stay legal, go to school in Las Vegas and become a hooker, or marry a rich person.

Otherwise, you will be stuck with loans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,870,219 times
if you've already gone to community college then its only two more years, right? if worse comes to worst you take out the $22,000 and work whatever part-time gig you can to pay for living expenses and such. $22k is not that much to have in loans, especially if overworking yourself will be a detriment to your success in school. you'd be better off focusing on doing the best you can in school, getting involved in relevant extracurriculars, meeting ppl/profs/networking, and preparing for your future job search.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM

389 posts, read 870,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
I am currently finishing my transfer units at junior college for the 2012-2013 year. Next year in fall 2013, I plan to either go to humboldt state university or maybe go to a state university in Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin. The question I have is, how can I find a way to pay for school costs without the use of student loans? I currently have work study so I hope to receive that at my new university but I was wondering how else to cover the costs for the 2013-2014 school year. It'll be a minimum of $11,000/year for a state university in california but, also I have found school costs only $15,000/year out of state yearly costs. Wherever I plan to go, I plan to move to the area at least a few months earlier so I can find a job and get that going before school starts. Could anyone help with advice on how I can effectively pay for school costs, especially for an out-of-state university? Thanks guys
I really don't see how you are finding OOS public universities that will only cost $15k/yr. Are you sure you are not talking about tuition/fees alone? Must you leave the area you are currently living in to attend a 4-year? It looks like you are in/near Fresno, so what about Fresno State? Do you have to attend full-time? Have you checked out online universities to see if that might be a good fit for you? It sounds like you may need to go the non-traditional route if you want to graduate without student loans.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,503,074 times
Iowa is extremely cheap for out of state (not $15k cheap, but still cheap). Many students from Illinois actually go to University of Iowa because University of Iowa out-of-state tuition and fees is cheaper than Illinois in-state tuition and fees.
Minnesota and Wisconsin also have fairly low out of state tuition, though not as cheap as Iowa.

Even if you moved to Iowa City and worked for 12 months before applying so you could be a resident, you would still be looking at about $5k in rent per year (off campus, legal maximum roommates) and $8k in tuition and fees plus another $1k for books and probably at least $3k for food. That is still $17k per year; and unfortunately you will not even find a full time job there without a degree that pays that much after taxes. (And Iowa City is one of the lowest unemployment metros in the country.)
Your best case scenario would be to do something like that and maybe earn the max pull grant ($5.5k) and find a full time job paying around $12k per year after taxes. That combined with a full year of savings could get you through without loans.

Note: the cheaper the state school, the less likely you are to be offered any additional grant in aid or work study.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 22,905,336 times
As an independent student you are eligible for financial aid based on your own income/assets. Call the schools that you are interested in attending and find out how to apply for financial aid.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 PM

322 posts, read 1,065,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
I really don't see how you are finding OOS public universities that will only cost $15k/yr. Are you sure you are not talking about tuition/fees alone? Must you leave the area you are currently living in to attend a 4-year? It looks like you are in/near Fresno, so what about Fresno State? Do you have to attend full-time? Have you checked out online universities to see if that might be a good fit for you? It sounds like you may need to go the non-traditional route if you want to graduate without student loans.
Yeah my major I'm working for it's just not at fresno state or else I would have done that a long time ago lol but I appreciate your advice

Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM

322 posts, read 1,065,000 times
Thanks for the invaluable advice everyone .... I will definitely take it all into consideration and this forum has helped me alot thanks everyone =)

Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 59,076,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
I'm living independently and am 24 so parents info doesn't apply. I only applied to one school in california because your right there's no money for schools because the whole state is broke and for me part time work pays for rent so I can't afford to just allocate that towards school costs anywhere I go....which is exactly why I wrote this new thread in the first place lol but with that said I hope to still apply for any financial help I can receive i'm pretty sure that my credits will count
Especially if they are California university and state transferable credits there's no way other state schools wouldn't look at the work i've done at a junior college and decide that it was all worthless and has no merit that's just makes no sense or else i've wasted 4 years getting transfer units for nothing at least that's what I believe

I do appreciate the advice on scholarships though i'll do that very soon thanks =)
At 24 years old what I would do is start applying to private schools, especially those that meet 100% of demonstrated need. Your income, I'm assuming, is low enough to qualify you for a LOT of aid. Yes, some of that will be loans but if those loans pay for your living expenses for the next 2-3 years, does it really matter? If you focus on state schools it is going to cost you a heck of a lot more!

As for your credits transferring, schools won't think they are "worthless" just that since they are not from their system, they may or may not accept the credits. It's even an issue transferring from one 4 year college to the next. It also comes down to money. Schools want you to pay for that degree. It also has a lot to do with them being California community college credits. Outside of CA, those schools just are not all that well respected.

Find a school that has a liberal transfer policy and most should transfer. I would suggest looking at Central College in Pella, IA as one possibility.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 AM

16,833 posts, read 16,760,825 times
Student loans are not inherently "bad". As an independent student you should get 5k or so in pell grant, another 5k in subsidized loans and if need be another 5k in federal unsub.

That means you could get out 30k of assistance for only 20k in loans.

What you need to do is look at the difference in your post degree salary and see if the difference warrants a 20k investment. Clearly if you make even just 4 or 5 k more a year you will have your loans paid off quickly and will be banking that money faster than if you work your way through debt free.

Taking SMART studen loans makes financial sense, especially for independent students.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 59,076,731 times
Our DD won't NEED to take her student loans but she will anyway. She will bank the funds for medical school because the interest rate is so much lower. It's cheep money!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities