Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times

Advertisements

Without any doubt I prefer on line grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 01:13 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
My quarter just ended and I got decent grades. I'm a bit bummed out I didn't do better in two of my classes and one was online. I noticed that I don't like online classes as much as face to face classes. I prefer the feeling of sitting in a classroom full of other students and doing work, group assignments, lectures, etc. I just prefer being in a actual place doing work. So far at the school I'm at I have taken 3 online classes which I received two B's and one C. I noticed that when I took similar courses (within the same department) face to face my grades were always a B+ and up, with most being A's. I preform better in a classroom environment and my grades show it.

So, to anyone on City-Data, which do you prefer and why?
I have only taken one on-line course (statistics), and even though I received an A-, when it was done I told myself I would never take another on-line course again. I only took the course on-line because I was looking to take statistics over Summer to get it out of the way and the on-line course was the only section available. First off, there was no structure. Basically, I just had to log on for X amount of hours per week and all projects and quizzes had to be submitted by 11:59:59 on any given Sunday. I found being on-line too distracting (no, not because of social media, I'm not that young).

Second; the "classroom" was only accessible by purchasing a key for $65, which also gave access to an on-line version of the textbook.

Third; quizzes and projects (ten, Excel-based) were conducted on-line, but all tests were proctored. That meant that either a) I had to go to campus and take the test in the Learning Center between dates A and B, or, b) someone from the school would deliver the test to me, hang out, then leave with the test after X amount of time had passed. And yes, you had to prove you were you.

Fourth; there were many ways in which students could interact with each other such as message boards and "drop boxes", no one used any of them. The professor, however, was fairly on top of emails, though.

I know there are different incarnations of on-line courses, and I might have a higher opinion if I was involved in one that had more interaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Never taken an online course.

The good would seem to be you can replay the lecture at any time if you missed something.

The bad would be that I hardly believe the professors would make themselves available to help the students for those courses.
As I wrote above, the course I took did not have an on-line lecture. The only reason I had to "attend class" was that by logging in on-line was the only way to access the text book, take the quizzes, and submit the Excel assignments. In regards to rewinding the lecture, practically every smart phone has a voice recorder and there are apps (many free) for laptops and tablets that do this, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post

I have takes a few class' though WPI this way. You can go to the class in person, watch in real time and type questions, or watch it when you are available. My only complaint is that trying to do group work sucks when the people are in different time zones.
If it is the WPI I am thinking of, Worcester Poly, then I would imagine their on-line courses are top notch and well respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
From a scientific standpoint, adult learners do not do well with sitting through long lectures. I've taken several classroom training courses for my job through different providers and they all seem to understand that adults need plenty of breaks.
Scientific? I doubt it. High school is pretty much the last time when a person "has" to sit through a lecture, if you can call it that. Adults are usually far removed from that experience and, for the most part, can do what they want when they want. Within reason, of course. Besides, college students leave lectures all day long. It is not like you have to raise your hand and ask for permission. Studies have shown that adult learners do better in the classroom as they are more focused (they are generally there for a very specific reason) and tend to have better time-managment skills.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Scientific? I doubt it. High school is pretty much the last time when a person "has" to sit through a lecture, if you can call it that. Adults are usually far removed from that experience and, for the most part, can do what they want when they want. Within reason, of course. Besides, college students leave lectures all day long. It is not like you have to raise your hand and ask for permission. Studies have shown that adult learners do better in the classroom as they are more focused (they are generally there for a very specific reason) and tend to have better time-managment skills.
What's the point of attending a lecture if you're just going to leave? What does time management skills have to do with attending courses on campus in this context? That is something that applies more to distance learning students since they aren't on a schedule. If one has poor time management skills, distance learning courses are typically not recommended.

Study Finds That Online Education Beats the Classroom - NYTimes.com

Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
What's the point of attending a lecture if you're just going to leave? What does time management skills have to do with attending courses on campus in this context? That is something that applies more to distance learning students since they aren't on a schedule. If one has poor time management skills, distance learning courses are typically not recommended.

Study Finds That Online Education Beats the Classroom - NYTimes.com
Do you think K-Luv was talking about leaving a class to go to the restroom or answer a phone call? It could even be a situation where the person did not want to miss the entire lecture but had an appt. they had to keep. I had a class that met once a week for 3 hours 15 minutes where the instructor gave pop quizzes at the beginning of class. Some people did not come back at the break.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Do you think K-Luv was talking about leaving a class to go to the restroom or answer a phone call? It could even be a situation where the person did not want to miss the entire lecture but had an appt. they had to keep. I had a class that met once a week for 3 hours 15 minutes where the instructor gave pop quizzes at the beginning of class. Some people did not come back at the break.
If that were the case, then it would be irrelevant to what I was talking about. I was talking about adults needing breaks because they can't focus in the classroom for long periods of time.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
If that were the case, then it would be irrelevant to what I was talking about. I was talking about adults needing breaks because they can't focus in the classroom for long periods of time.
FWIW, I have been talking classes for a second undergraduate degree at a large university. Most have been evening classes that met 6:00 to 9:15PM or 7:00 to 9:30PM. We typically had one break. At age 57, I didn't need any more breaks to stay focused than any of my younger fellow students. Many of them were on Facebook most of the time anyway.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Face to face is always better imo opinion...and it feels much more inclusive academically. In order to function well with an online program I think one would have to be very well disciplined to get a similar experience.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
FWIW, I have been talking classes for a second undergraduate degree at a large university. Most have been evening classes that met 6:00 to 9:15PM or 7:00 to 9:30PM. We typically had one break. At age 57, I didn't need any more breaks to stay focused than any of my younger fellow students. Many of them were on Facebook most of the time anyway.
It's nice that you are able to focus longer than me (mid-twenties) and all of my middle-aged coworkers.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM

10 posts, read 43,503 times
I have taken only one face to face class. Not that every class is that awful, but it was bad and I said "never again".

The instructor was a holocaust survivor and that was all he would talk about. Not psychology, which is what I was taking. No diseases, no disorders, none of it.

"Back when I survived the Nazi invasion"...alright broken record, I get it. Teach me something or leave.

Just passed two online classes. The problem that I run into with online classes is that you find people who can't read what the teacher tells you to do and follow the most simple instructions. How can I reply to what you just wrote? It is not what was asked of us at all! Then I get marked down for not having a well thought discussion, because retard mcgee can't do what he/she was supposed to do.

Pros and cons, both have them I guess. I work weird hours though, so online classes suit me the best as it is.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkr501 View Post
I have taken only one face to face class. Not that every class is that awful, but it was bad and I said "never again".

The instructor was a holocaust survivor and that was all he would talk about. Not psychology, which is what I was taking. No diseases, no disorders, none of it.

"Back when I survived the Nazi invasion"...alright broken record, I get it. Teach me something or leave.

Just passed two online classes. The problem that I run into with online classes is that you find people who can't read what the teacher tells you to do and follow the most simple instructions. How can I reply to what you just wrote? It is not what was asked of us at all! Then I get marked down for not having a well thought discussion, because retard mcgee can't do what he/she was supposed to do.

Pros and cons, both have them I guess. I work weird hours though, so online classes suit me the best as it is.
LOL. I had the same problem taking online classes with a community college and a for-profit university. They don't really have high standards, so it's to be expected. I don't have this issue in my online grad program at a non-profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities