Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

I've taken both. Personally, I think it depends on the type of class. Something like math or science or certain electives, on-site classes are definitely better IMO. But classes where there will be a lot of class discussion and lecture-style situations - I prefer taking those online. I really enjoy taking the lecture-style classes online because in my experience I've had the opportunity to rewatch the videos of the professor giving the lecture, and to go back over and read the logs/discussions that the class had during the lecture. I think it's very helpful. With on-site classes, unless you can film it or record it - you miss stuff, or at least I sometimes do. Some of the best writing classes I've ever taken were onilne classes. I'm currently taking a psychology class on-site and I'm wishing I had taken it online instead. There are so many more things we could discuss if it were an online format. In the traditional classroom setting, you'll often get one or two "talkers" who sort of monopolize the time and unless the teacher is good about ... well... basically telling them to be quiet and let other people have a chance to speak for a change - it can be frustrating. The "talkers" also tend to waste so much time that we often run out of class time for important class-related things. This has happened to me quite a number of times in traditional classroom settings, but I've not experienced it yet online at all, and I've been taking online classes for 9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
LOL. I had the same problem taking online classes with a community college and a for-profit university. They don't really have high standards, so it's to be expected. I don't have this issue in my online grad program at a non-profit.
Standards vary greatly by school. Not all online opportunities for learning are the same. Stay away from online schools with only a national accreditation. Look for a respected regional accreditation and you'll hopefully have better luck. Also - stay away from online schools that don't even require entrance exams or placement tests. Think about it. Bad news.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM

180 posts, read 267,198 times
I have signed up for onlline classes but always dropped them for RL versions before they began so I can't say, except that the social experience for me was an important part of being there. Albeit I am a nerd.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I've taught both in-person and online classes (my college is offering more and more online classes to try to accommodate people who don't live near campus). In almost all cases I VASTLY prefer teaching in person. I actually like getting to know my students, encouraging them, convincing them that the course material is worth talking about/learning. You can do all those things with online classes, of course, but it's harder.

The biggest problem I've found with online courses, though, is that it's too easy for students to forget that they are TAKING a class, no matter how many reminder emails you send them. I've had panic-stricken students email me in week 4 of a 6-week online class because they realize they have gotten so far behind they don't think they can ever catch up (and sometimes they can't). But for self-motivated students who (for example) need to go home to work in the summer, an online class can be a life-saver, something that allows them to graduate on time or even early.

HOWEVER (and I know this is snobbish), I have basically zero respect for for-profit online graduate programs. A colleague of mine got her "Ph.D." from such a program, and it is absolutely ludicrous -- she cannot write a coherent sentence in English yet somehow developed a research project, did all her field work, wrote her dissertation, and defended it -- all in about 6 months? No way. At Michigan (my beloved alma mater) she would have been drummed out in the first year, if she'd even gotten in at all.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
It depends on the degree and the school.

If it's an excellent school and the course material is substantive, nothing will beat face to face classes. That's because for many course / career paths, critical thinking is paramount - and you develop those abilities best in a dynamic environment where you are challenged on the spot to discuss, compete, and problem solve with other bright people. This is how the real world generally works when you get out of school.

Online courses are good for some more narrowly targeted supplemental skills.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Standards vary greatly by school. Not all online opportunities for learning are the same. Stay away from online schools with only a national accreditation. Look for a respected regional accreditation and you'll hopefully have better luck. Also - stay away from online schools that don't even require entrance exams or placement tests. Think about it. Bad news.
Yeah, I know all of those things. I know much more about accreditation and distance education than the average person. I spend hours each week giving people advice on online learning. The community college district I attended requires placement exams and has brick and mortar campuses. Even the for-profits I attended for a short period have brick and mortar campuses. All of the schools I've attended are regionally-accredited. My AAS and BA are from a state school and my master's will be from a state school. Regional accreditation, placement exams, and brick and mortar campuses don't stop community colleges from admitting stupid people; but, they're cheap.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM

366 posts, read 730,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Schools with national accreditation are recognized by the U.S. Dept. of Education. Are all national accreditations equal? That's a question that is open to interpretation. Does national accreditation serve it's purpose? Sure. There's nothing wrong with distance learners taking courses leading to a degree and it especially serves adult learners that are currently employed and looking to continue their education. For students that are of the traditional college age, onsite and online courses make the most sense if they're regionally accredited as it gives more options for graduate school. That said, most graduates of nationally accredited colleges (primarily DETC which has been in existence since 1926 and is a non-profit association) are satisfied with their degrees.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
My quarter just ended and I got decent grades. I'm a bit bummed out I didn't do better in two of my classes and one was online. I noticed that I don't like online classes as much as face to face classes. I prefer the feeling of sitting in a classroom full of other students and doing work, group assignments, lectures, etc. I just prefer being in a actual place doing work. So far at the school I'm at I have taken 3 online classes which I received two B's and one C. I noticed that when I took similar courses (within the same department) face to face my grades were always a B+ and up, with most being A's. I preform better in a classroom environment and my grades show it.

So, to anyone on City-Data, which do you prefer and why?
Online classes hands down! I can't see how anyone in their right mind would want to take classes in house.
No schedule, don't wanna do something one day don't have to. I have no set time to be anywhere and do things as I please. I have 7 days to complete any and all work. If I don't want to do it until the very last day I don't have too. I can do school work in my PJs if I want!
No wasted gas driving back and forth!
No group work! It's the best part I can do things by myself and get things done my way, not someone elses.
I make better grades online because i'm not distracted by other people and constant chatter. I can have silence when I need it the most.
I can eat, or listen to music or take phone calls if I want while doing my class work.
It really is just faster, easier and better doing online classes it's takes all the hassle out of college and best of all I don't have to deal with other people and drama!

I didn't have to take an entrance exam or placement test. All I had to do was have a high school diploma. However I went to a local junior college so maybe that is why.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Some online programs do require group work. It's just as annoying online as it is in person because there are always those people who won't carry their own weight. I'm glad I haven't had to do any group work online at the last couple of schools I attended.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
There's perks to both. I did my undergrad work at a B&M, and I'm currently 2/3 of the way through an online grad program. For me, it all depends on the quality of the professor. They have the power to make or break the class. This holds true for both modes of learning. I'm a social person, so I really do miss the classroom interaction with peers and my teachers, but at the same time, I like the freedom of an online class. If I want to take the midterm exam in the living room at 1am in my PJ's after getting off work while I enjoy the company of a relaxing fire and a shot of whiskey, I can do so.

I would say for those new to college, do the classroom thing first. If you got a handle on it, try the online environment if you'd like. I will say that I believe the expectations of quality seem to be higher with the online work submitted than that of the B&M I went to. Since it's not easy to form a personal relationship with the teachers in an online environment, the way you express yourself in your work is scrutinized much greater in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities