U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:48 AM

458 posts, read 810,666 times

Advertisements

My quarter just ended and I got decent grades. I'm a bit bummed out I didn't do better in two of my classes and one was online. I noticed that I don't like online classes as much as face to face classes. I prefer the feeling of sitting in a classroom full of other students and doing work, group assignments, lectures, etc. I just prefer being in a actual place doing work. So far at the school I'm at I have taken 3 online classes which I received two B's and one C. I noticed that when I took similar courses (within the same department) face to face my grades were always a B+ and up, with most being A's. I preform better in a classroom environment and my grades show it.

So, to anyone on City-Data, which do you prefer and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM

8,904 posts, read 12,803,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
My quarter just ended and I got decent grades. I'm a bit bummed out I didn't do better in two of my classes and one was online. I noticed that I don't like online classes as much as face to face classes. I prefer the feeling of sitting in a classroom full of other students and doing work, group assignments, lectures, etc. I just prefer being in a actual place doing work. So far at the school I'm at I have taken 3 online classes which I received two B's and one C. I noticed that when I took similar courses (within the same department) face to face my grades were always a B+ and up, with most being A's. I preform better in a classroom environment and my grades show it.

Never taken an online course.

The good would seem to be you can replay the lecture at any time if you missed something.

The bad would be that I hardly believe the professors would make themselves available to help the students for those courses.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,004,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post

I hate online classes. It's just basically doing boring work on your own, without any of the things that make classes interesting - like a professor, interaction, etc., (someone who posts your current point count on blackboard doesn't count). I do just fine in them, but I could learn as much as reading a book on my own (which is basically what the courses usually consist of). In a classroom you are supposed to learn from an expert who sort of guides you through a process. Online is just a version of the old directed reading course, which was always a joke. There is no kind of interaction - maybe some superficial feedback at best. The professor never really understands what you know or how you know it or what your needs are, so they never respond to them.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 AM

458 posts, read 810,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I hate online classes. It's just basically doing boring work on your own, without any of the things that make classes interesting - like a professor, interaction, etc., (someone who posts your current point count on blackboard doesn't count). I do just fine in them, but I could learn as much as reading a book on my own (which is basically what the courses usually consist of). In a classroom you are supposed to learn from an expert who sort of guides you through a process. Online is just a version of the old directed reading course, which was always a joke. There is no kind of interaction - maybe some superficial feedback at best. The professor never really understands what you know or how you know it or what your needs are, so they never respond to them.
The online class process seems so distant too. Like if I wanted a letter of recommendation i feel that using an online teacher if not the same as a class Ive taken face to face. It feels like you get to know the teacher more than just an online course.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,225,640 times
The ONLY thing I liked about online classes (I have had 3) is saving gas money by not having to drive downtown to attend class, but I HATE online classes its a lot more work depending on the class and I would rather actually go to class. After my online histology class this past semester Im NEVER taking another online class EVER again. It was horrible.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM

7,001 posts, read 10,925,686 times
Online classes do tend to require a lot more work, but I like them more anyway. I have a short attention span, so lectures do me no good. I'm also not an auditory learner. Online classes allow me to be flexible with my work schedule and I can do schoolwork in the middle of the night in my pajamas. I've mostly had As in my online classes. My professors are available for assistance, but I rarely need it because I'm just better at teaching myself.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM

1,988 posts, read 4,841,453 times
From a prof standpoint, I do not like teaching online classes. It's very difficult to get to know the students, so it seems so impersonal. It's even more difficult to keep students interested, and it's hard to tell if they are understanding the material until it's too late (i.e. when they take the test). It's also a lot more work for the prof too. I much prefer to teach face-to-face and be able to answer questions AS I am presenting the topic. It's also more fun to bring in interesting tidbits to hold students' interest and generate discussions in real time rather than on asynchronous discussion boards.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM

1,438 posts, read 2,270,456 times
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE online class'.

I can't remember how many times in a regular class I have gone through my notes and wished i could rewind to what the professor was saying at that time because my notes were garbage.

I have takes a few class' though WPI this way. You can go to the class in person, watch in real time and type questions, or watch it when you are available. My only complaint is that trying to do group work sucks when the people are in different time zones.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 7,832,876 times
I have only needed classes for continued education in order to renew my teaching certificate.

For that, I likewise LOVE LOVE LOVE online classes: stay at home, complete the work in PJs, do easy work in that one can write the papers while skimming the material.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM

137 posts, read 122,984 times
Online classes are excellent because allow you to attend college on your own schedule, save travel time, and you can attend from anywhere in the world.

However, as a professor who has taught online courses (at traditional B&M schools) and has gone through accreditation assessments at other schools, I can assure you that online classes cannot replace the classroom experience and do not produce the same level of learning (in their currrent form). Online discussion boards are too slow and do not result in meaningful indepth discussions compared to in-class real-time discussions. Professors also slack in online courses, further reducing the learning quality. And then there's the fact that most learning is transferred through real-time interaction at college and online courses minimize that.

What you end up with is learning nothing more than what's in a textbook or two. At which point you've wasted time and money and have gained less knowledge than you would have in class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities