Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM

224 posts, read 286,404 times

Advertisements

I'm currently enrolled in a MBA program in Finance & Accounting online, and I have 5 more classes left until I graduate. Lately, I've been regretting it combined with my job experiences in accounting as well. I have no aspirations to get my CPA or CFA. I've realized that accounting and finance are very routine, and that's not what I want to do. I regret having the student loan debt I already have. I don't know if I should just continue with my MBA until I graduate, since I'm already halfway through. I've looked into a bachelor's in software engineering. I was wondering if online degrees for engineering from Arizona State University are respected, since I just can't quit my job on the spot due to expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,055,954 times
I'd finish. No question about it. If you have a combination MBA and software engineering degree, you'll have no problems paying off that student loan.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:10 AM

9,528 posts, read 4,355,571 times
I'm a middle manager at a large company (70K employees) and regularly interview/hire software engineers. When I see a school listed on a resume with which I am not familiar, I check it out on the internet. Different schools use degree names differently and the curriculum varies from school to school, so I like to get an idea of the kind of course work a candidate has been exposed to. A BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, etc., can mean different things depending on the school. After reading your post, I went to ASU's website to see exactly what a degree in Software Engineering entails there. The ASU website would not let me proceed unless I provided my name. It took several tries to find a way of getting around their sign-in procedure, but I was eventually able to do so. Many managers are very busy and might get frustrated by not being able to immediately access degree information. Not a show stopper, but I am surprised that ASU would implement their website in such a manner.

The goods news: Their course requirements are sufficiently rigorous so as not to raise any red flags. Calc I through III, Diffy Qs, Physics, etc. Definitely a "real" engineering program that would easily pass my scrutiny when screening a resume. There is some lingering bias against online degrees among hiring managers, but I see less of it every year.

An BS in Software Engineering along with an MBA will definitely get the attention of someone screening a pile of resumes. Just make sure you maintain a good GPA. My advice would be to finish the MBA and then get the SW engineering degree

Old 03-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I'm a middle manager at a large company (70K employees) and regularly interview/hire software engineers. When I see a school listed on a resume with which I am not familiar, I check it out on the internet. Different schools use degree names differently and the curriculum varies from school to school, so I like to get an idea of the kind of course work a candidate has been exposed to. A BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, etc., can mean different things depending on the school. After reading your post, I went to ASU's website to see exactly what a degree in Software Engineering entails there. The ASU website would not let me proceed unless I provided my name. It took several tries to find a way of getting around their sign-in procedure, but I was eventually able to do so. Many managers are very busy and might get frustrated by not being able to immediately access degree information. Not a show stopper, but I am surprised that ASU would implement their website in such a manner.

The goods news: Their course requirements are sufficiently rigorous so as not to raise any red flags. Calc I through III, Diffy Qs, Physics, etc. Definitely a "real" engineering program that would easily pass my scrutiny when screening a resume. There is some lingering bias against online degrees among hiring managers, but I see less of it every year.

An BS in Software Engineering along with an MBA will definitely get the attention of someone screening a pile of resumes. Just make sure you maintain a good GPA. My advice would be to finish the MBA and then get the SW engineering degree
Thats good advice. Sometimes I just feel like I took on a high amount of debt for my MBA for nothing. I’m leaning towards ASU, since it’s considered among the best ranking programs and theirs is ABET accredited.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,943,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'd finish. No question about it. If you have a combination MBA and software engineering degree, you'll have no problems paying off that student loan.
Agreed! This close to the end, finish the degree. You will regret it for the rest of your life if you don't. A MBA degree is a great complimentary degree to nearly everything else if you decide to go a different direction in the future.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:32 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,943,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
There is some lingering bias against online degrees among hiring managers, but I see less of it every year.
My advise to others considering an On-line program is to only enroll in such a program at a "Brick & Mortar" school with a known name. Arizona State University is that type of school.

I obtained my Masters in Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute via their Distance Learning program in the late 1990's. I never stepped foot on Campus during the duration of my degree program. I remotely participated in the on campus classes taught by their Professors. Some classes had more remote students than students sitting in the lecture hall. My diploma is proudly hanging on the wall and no where does it indicate that I was an "Off Campus" student.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 03-10-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 09:06 PM

10,773 posts, read 5,694,213 times
What was your undergraduate major?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,291,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
I'm currently enrolled in a MBA program in Finance & Accounting online, and I have 5 more classes left until I graduate. Lately, I've been regretting it combined with my job experiences in accounting as well. I have no aspirations to get my CPA or CFA. I've realized that accounting and finance are very routine, and that's not what I want to do. I regret having the student loan debt I already have. I don't know if I should just continue with my MBA until I graduate, since I'm already halfway through. I've looked into a bachelor's in software engineering. I was wondering if online degrees for engineering from Arizona State University are respected, since I just can't quit my job on the spot due to expenses?
what's your math and physics background? computer science?

online engineering? depends on which engineering...

Old 03-11-2018, 09:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,150,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
As an engineer and an interviewer, I have to disagree. Having an MBA doesn't make any difference when it comes to engineering candidates.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 AM

My undergraduate was in psychology. I’ve taken some math and sciences during my undergrad. As I said before, I would be majoring in software engineering with a program that is based online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities