Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the school. I got a 2nd bachelors and I did not have to retake my general education courses. My original degree was awarded in 1987 and my second one in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think it depends on the school. I got a 2nd bachelors and I did not have to retake my general education courses. My original degree was awarded in 1987 and my second one in 2009.
I think that your experience is typical. There are some schools that want to make money, are greedy and will not take older credits or gen ed credits from another university. If you encounter that, move on.
It is not the norm.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no. Most schools won't accept credits that are more than 5 years old either.
Generally just in the sciences. For other courses, a longer time frame is usually given, e.g. 10 years or so.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Not trying to be contrarian, but let's say someone majored in history and wanted to go into nursing after a few years of doing nothing in the workforce. Assuming the UC system is more prestigious and has a better placement rate for its graduates and reputation among other univeristies, under your scenario, the UC graduate cannot come back to the primary system and has to go to a second-tier system to gain that second bachelor's, which doesn't have as strong of a reputation among other universities and has a weaker placement rate among employers?

Under most conditions, I don't see how a person would be better served getting a second bachelor's under such a scheme versus doing nothing at all. If a person wants to study at the graduate level in a field, often they have to have a bachelor's in that field or a closely related field as a condition of admission into the program. If a person cannot easily go back for the second bachelor's, or has to go to a poorly regarded school to do so, the benefits of retraining seem almost nil. A system in which prior mistakes can hardly be corrected is a very poor one to entrust our welfare to.
The UC system campuses do not want students returning for a second bachelor's degree because they are truly impacted. For example, UC Berkeley only allows this for a chemistry degree and they want a darn good reason. The CSUs have some good programs, such as Speech Pathology and train most of CAs teachers so, for certain fields, they are fine. A few of the CSU campuses are good, while many are mediocre. That's California.

It may be different in Washington, for example. I'm not sure if UW will allow a second bachelor's degree. I think WSU, in rural eastern WA, will. While I am no fan of WSU, it's considered a decent school, and a BSN from WSU is nothing to sneeze at.

The easiest thing to do is to go to a university's website, enter "second bachelor" in the search field, and hit enter. All of the data should come up. If a person is then admitted, the rule in effect at matriculation will govern policies over the second degree and recognition of previous general ed work.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,834 times
The first degree Im going for right now is an Associates Degree in Theater, but if that doesnt work out I thought about either Communications or Human Resources.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I would like to get a degree in theater and take business class and acting classes to be in Casting for the entertainment industry. Im still trying to figure out a back up plan career, but my main goal is to complete all of my core classes, "general ed classes".

So if I completed all of my general ed classes and Casting doesnt really work out and me having to come up with another career.

Would I have to complete the general ed classes again? To get a degree for another career?

I don't think so since the gen ed classes are pretty universal especially the liberal arts requirements. You may have to take an additional science or math course though. Some colleges have their own courses they want you to take in those fields. But you wouldn't have to start completely over.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
They only way to know is ask the college of your choice.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think that your experience is typical. There are some schools that want to make money, are greedy and will not take older credits or gen ed credits from another university. If you encounter that, move on.
It is not the norm.
The school I went to is a state school so any extra credits they would have made me take would cost the school money. State schools do not make money on tuition, they lose money because each credit is heavily subsidized.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Outside the box here but if work in casting is what you want then another degree isn't what you need. You need to make a connection with someone who can get you started in the industry.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
I believe most general education requirements are the same however depending on your major you graduated with and your new major you may have to take this class or that class in additional to meet the gen ed requirements for the new major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities