Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM

554 posts, read 2,505,802 times

Advertisements

By good fields, I mean basically mean a degree that will get you a well paying job. Haha.

I was looking into computer engineering, or something along those lines, since I'm pretty good with computers.

Would anyone have any information about computer engineering, or hi-tech jobs, such as some in Silicon Valley (Apple, etc)?

If not, what fields would you offer? I really don't want to be a doctor. I do like cars, computers, and hi-tech stuff.

Thanks to all that respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 PM

373 posts, read 1,856,270 times
I think you need a one-on-one appointment with a guidance counselor. I think it would be naive to discuss good-paying fields without determining not only what you like, but where your natural skills lie. You will be most successful and happy when you find a crossroads of interest and skills. For example, some people really want to be engineers, but they have a hard time in math and don't like studying.

You also need to look at how long you are willing to be in school. You could go to Wyo-Tech to become a high-end mechanic and be out in less than a year. Or, you could go to college for engineering and be in school for about 5 years. I think a qualified professional should help you.

P.S. I was previously a college career counselor, so I've worked with a lot of students in similar situations. You really do need to have a two-way conversation with the appropriate professional.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 AM

19 posts, read 84,442 times
nursing or teaching... you can travel the world because everyone wants them.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 AM

606 posts, read 702,080 times
do you know computer field well?
Computer major has its pros and cons.
let's talk about the cons that you may fail to realize. Computer is a very competitve and fast-developing field. You have to keep pace with others. And computer requires a lot of stuff on math or something like that.It's tough actually.

I guess engineering may be your choice. You can go to a engineering college and stay there for one or two semester.Then,you may know your intersts.maybe you like electrical engineering better,maybe mechanic,maybe still computer.....

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,493,618 times
take a look at Geographic Information Systems (GIS), which is a subset of Geography. Most large universities have it. IS analysis and programming can come in very handy, so it's very 'computer related'. I started as a Comp. Sci major, and was miserable, so I switched. You get to work with fairly cool stuff, like GPS systems, aerial photographs, or survey equipment.

BTW - with Computer Science & Engineering, the problem wasn't the math. The problem was the people and the lifestyle.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 AM

884 posts, read 1,358,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
By good fields, I mean basically mean a degree that will get you a well paying job. Haha.

I was looking into computer engineering, or something along those lines, since I'm pretty good with computers.

Would anyone have any information about computer engineering, or hi-tech jobs, such as some in Silicon Valley (Apple, etc)?

If not, what fields would you offer? I really don't want to be a doctor. I do like cars, computers, and hi-tech stuff.

Thanks to all that respond!
Pharmacy gets you a good paying job and in college you can easily get a well-paying ($10+) internship at your local pharmacy. Lot's of tests though. My room mate is Pharmacy and she's tested in her various classes at least once a week. Major tests, that is.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 AM

2,975 posts, read 13,396,773 times
Follow what lorelei2873 says - you won't go wrong. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 PM

433 posts, read 2,360,324 times
Find out what everyone is majoring in.

Then pick the opposite.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM

112 posts, read 616,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Pharmacy gets you a good paying job and in college you can easily get a well-paying ($10+) internship at your local pharmacy. Lot's of tests though. My room mate is Pharmacy and she's tested in her various classes at least once a week. Major tests, that is.
I am a Pharmacist (graduated last May) and I could go to pretty much any city in the US and find a job that pays at least $80,000.

It is a tough 6-8 year doctorate program (depending on the school), but if you make it through you are set up pretty well. Plus, there is a ton of variety. There are a more jobs out there than just CVS and Walgreens (I work at a hospital).

Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM

121 posts, read 537,053 times
The key is to try to figure out what you want to do...even if a rough guess. Once you are on a career path, it is very difficult (expensive) to change direction. You may pick a field that pays very well...but trust me, if you hate the field, the $$$ isn't worth it.

I studied MIS, got a degree and a good paying job. 10 years later, I make a very nice living in the IT field...and I absolutly HATE computers. But, I have a nice life...and due to the cost of living in this area, I can't afford to go pursue some other passion...

Now, in hindsight, I have several ideas of what field I would have pursued if I had it to do over again. I can even point to the moments in my life I made the choices that led me here. My point is...pick a path based on interest and passion over $$$...in the long run, you will enjoy your life much more.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities