Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,457 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I could sure use some advice. I am at a crossroads in my life. I currently have an MBA (masters in business adminstration) and a BA in psychology. I have a couple of years working in HR and some in the non profit sector. With the job market the way it is I find it VERY DIFFICULT to find work. So, I am contemplating going back to school again. However, I wanted to get a Masters degree in human services or psychology or even a MFT. I know the state requires 3,000 hours in order to get licensed. (CA Only). I am looking into a few schools here in San Diego.

I am considering only MFT or MA programs in social work/psychology. The schools that I am looking into are accredited by the Board of Behavioral sciences. So, my question is without jumping through too many hoops can anyone suggest any of these schools for me. The type of program and school I want should offer some internship involvement but is that too many to ask for?

University of Phoenix (MFT Program)
Argosy University (MFT program)
Alliant International (MFT program)

I hate to 'swindled' into a school/program that DOES NOT offer any placement or help during the entire process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
is there a reason you are focusing on professional schools?

Why do you want to go back to school? What makes you think you will find a job with this degree?

I am always hesitant to take out more money in loans when your entire reason for doing so is because you can't find a job. Why do you think a career in counseling will be more accessible with a masters than a career in HR or business with a masters that you already have?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Even though the pay is not the best, there is high growth in the mental health field. For some reason, people don't seem to connect mental health with the rest of the healthcare industry. Healthcare is a necessity and at least a masters is required to practice in mental health. There is a glut of MBAs and business is not a field that requires a masters or licensure by law (not including accounting).

I would not recommend any of those schools. Are you looking to attend online or on campus? If you're looking to attend on campus, we would have to know which city you live in. I'm of the opinion that one should only enter the healthcare field if they have a passion for it.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM

Hi Mizz-

Thank you for your message. I have thought long and hard about this. Is it worth it going through those schools? I have questioned myself about my motives. However, I have decided to NOT attend further schooling in terms of degrees. Trust me I totally agree in not taking out another student loan. I have had to omit the fact that I have a MBA in order to get jobs these days. I feel that if I advertise that I am actually disqualifying myself because I come as over qualified.

I live in San Diego and the current job market here is pretty fierce. Do you have any words of encouragment?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM

Hi L210-

Thanks for your good advice. I agree that mental health is part of healthcare and it is a growing field. I also agree that it does take at least a Masters degree to be an occupation in mental health that actually pays. Unfortunately, I decided to not attend additional schooling due to the fact that it would require taking out a loan. Something I am not too happy about. I was looking to attend on campus and I live in San Diego so those are schools that fit my needs. I know there isn't much out there and attending USC@MSW would cost $50K. It is sad that even in a helping profession I must take out a good size loan in order to accomplish what I want. Seems backwards to me.

I decided to opt into something cheaper and doable. Do you have helpful information?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Have you thought about whether you want to work as an employee or have your own practice? Few MFT's are hired as employees. Have you considered an MSW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities