Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM

37 posts, read 338,124 times

Advertisements

Recently I read the news about planning lay offs by biggest US banks such as Chase, Goldman, Barclays, etc.

For example, Chase is planning to cut off 17000 jobs during next year and 4000 jobs during this year. This is awful news for Business Administration students. Currently I am a college student and I am thinking about changing my major while its not too late. I have an aptitude towards physics and engineering, but thats not what I want to do. I love accounting and finance, but have doubts about perspectives.
To be honest such lay offs were about to happen because many bank workers too unproductive, personal bankers do almost nothing, but get high wages.

What is your opinion about such bad news for BA students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,687,404 times
I would give engineering a second look. It is a career that has such a wide range of opportunities that you may find something within it that interests you. Mechanical engineers do some really fun jobs. You are almost certain to always have a job.

Another avenue might be a mathematics degree. There are jobs in the financial market for these graduates.

Good for you for looking ahead. Most people don't and then whine about their situation.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,714,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjorik View Post
Recently I read the news about planning lay offs by biggest US banks such as Chase, Goldman, Barclays, etc.

For example, Chase is planning to cut off 17000 jobs during next year and 4000 jobs during this year. This is awful news for Business Administration students. Currently I am a college student and I am thinking about changing my major while its not too late. I have an aptitude towards physics and engineering, but thats not what I want to do. I love accounting and finance, but have doubts about perspectives.
To be honest such lay offs were about to happen because many bank workers too unproductive, personal bankers do almost nothing, but get high wages.

With your forecasting ability, maybe you should look at one of the Wall Street brokerage firms.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,578,903 times
Banks are another areas where automation has reduced costs/increased profits, by eliminating employees. Making deposits by smartphone, and machines in grocery stores have greatly reduced actual customers going into the banks. I probably haven't been to on in 2 years. Actually once about a year and a half ago to close one of my accounts was the last time, all my other banking is done online, by phone or cash machine. No one can really predict what will be the hot jobs in the future, but think hard about what other jobs may be eliminated by outsourcing or automation and avoid those.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM

919 posts, read 1,785,191 times
Accounting/finance is saturated. In the late 80's, there were eight major CPA firms, ala The Big Eight. Now, it's down to the Big Four, and pretty soon, when the Sallie Mae and other scandals and crimes break, it'll be down to the Big Two. Keep in mind that these were some huge, international firms, which were the training ground for middle and upper management for the largest companies in the world. The fact that outside audit firms have been consolidating is evidence of the lack of demand for high paid white collar private bureaucrats. And the same is true of finance as well, you can't have a collapsing accounting field and think that banking isn't going to reflect the same reality. It's very bad, and it will get worse, when you realize just how big banking/finance is a part of our economy, there is a long way to go before we hit bottom....

Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM

37 posts, read 338,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I would give engineering a second look. It is a career that has such a wide range of opportunities that you may find something within it that interests you. Mechanical engineers do some really fun jobs. You are almost certain to always have a job.

Another avenue might be a mathematics degree. There are jobs in the financial market for these graduates.

Good for you for looking ahead. Most people don't and then whine about their situation.
hmmm.. may be I should go into actuarial science? But the thing is I do not have any acquaintances in this field and I don't know anyone who does this job. Math degree? I am afraid that I end up as a teacher in high school.

Also, my professors in college tell me that this lay offs are temporary and job market will improve after 3-4 years (the time when I will graduate).

Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,687,404 times
Quote:
hmmm.. may be I should go into actuarial science? But the thing is I do not have any acquaintances in this field and I don't know anyone who does this job.
Me neither, but, what's google for? Investigate it. Maybe it's for you, maybe not. Look into internships

Quote:
Math degree? I am afraid that I end up as a teacher in high school.
Whatever you do, do not do that. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

google "careers for mathematics graduates" or something like that. I've investigated it and quite a few options are available.

Quote:
Also, my professors in college tell me that this lay offs are temporary and job market will improve after 3-4 years (the time when I will graduate).
The financial market or the financial job market? While it is true that job markets are cyclical, loloroj is correct on the current trends. No one can predict the the future, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in the professors' Easter basket. They have job security - unless students start to fear the falling jobs market prospects for this sector.

Quote:
What about accounting field? Is this profession in demand?
I have no idea. My accountant makes more than me, though. Again, google it. Talk to people in the field. People love to talk about their jobs.

City-data has an economics forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/economics/

You could probably get some good advice there. Have you ever been to redit.com? There are all kinds of sub redits for specialties.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,578,903 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that if no one goes to their classes, they will lose their jobs.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM

456 posts, read 1,171,818 times
Quote:

Yes, it's bad news for Business Administration students, but Finance and Accounting degrees are generally regarded higher. I think you shouldn't jump to conclusions quite yet. Accountants at least will always be in high demand. And depending on where you go to school and your gpa, finding a finance job on Wall Street could certainly be nice. There are so many fields you could get into with a finance degree.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM

977 posts, read 1,817,889 times
Quote:
hmmm.. may be I should go into actuarial science? But the thing is I do not have any acquaintances in this field and I don't know anyone who does this job. Math degree? I am afraid that I end up as a teacher in high school.
I'm an actuary and my advice is to not enter this profession. It is very difficult to get an entry-level job right now, the market is saturated. But if you insist, you do not need a math degree (I don't have one myself), you just need a high GPA, an internship (preferably actuarial), and 2-3 exams passed, and solid extracurriculars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities