Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM

404 posts, read 586,388 times

Advertisements

So I got into a bunch of masters programs for urban planning and was pretty excited until I began looking at the costs. My favorite program was UPenn. However, I'd be paying about 75,000 for tuition on the two year degree. The only affordable option of the bunch is Rutgers, which would cost about 15,000 tuition.

Currently I'm leaning towards going to Rutgers because 60,000 sounds like a ton of money though. However, it really isn't that much over the course of a 40+ year career. Still, there is no guarantee that UPenn would give me a better job either. It is hard to turn down that Ivy league name though.

One thought that has occurred to me is that I could try to get into the dual planning/law degree program that Penn offers. Students in their first year of UPenn's planning program are allowed to apply for a joint program with the law school that would lead to both a planning degree and a JD. It would certainly up my earning potential, although it would put me even further in debt (4 years instead of 2). It is also a large assumption that I would even be accepted to that program.

What would would you do in my situation?

Last edited by Planner15; 04-01-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,788,447 times
I don't know the relative reputation of Penn or Rutgers in urban planning.

But do NOT go to law school unless you really want to do law --even if its only in the area of city planning/urban affairs. A UPenn law degree will up your marketability for sure. But top law schools are demanding and rigorous -- and that's before the Pa., NJ, or NY bar exam. Don't do law school unless you actually enjoy the practice of law. So do your research and see what the job opportunities and pay is like in legal fields involving urban planning. And TALK to lawyers in that field also. As many as you can. Then make up your mind whether its worth your while and whether you're tempermentally cut out for going to law school and practicing law in addition to your urban planning interests.

Godd luck.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,776,758 times
What kind of Masters degree specifically? Is this a professional degree or an academic degree?
With an academic degree, you should only be going if the program is paying your way. Professional degree is a bit different; you would need some idea of how much the degree improves your job prospects.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Rutgers all the way.

It's a higher ranked planning school and MUCH cheaper. It's really an excellent school.

When you find out how much planners make and how scarce the jobs are, you will be glad you didn't go into the extra debt. Going to an Ivy League planning school is absolutely useless.

Not to scare you away from being a planner. If that's what you want to do. But yea, Rutgers all the way.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post

Currently I'm leaning towards going to Rutgers because 60,000 sounds like a ton of money though. However, it really isn't that much over the course of a 40+ year career.
No, but a million dollars sure is.

$60K will double every nine years at 8%

$120K in 9 years
$240K in 18 years
$480K in 27 years
$960K in 35 years

Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,121,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post

One thought that has occurred to me is that I could try to get into the dual planning/law degree program that Penn offers. Students in their first year of UPenn's planning program are allowed to apply for a joint program with the law school that would lead to both a planning degree and a JD. It would certainly up my earning potential, although it would put me even further in debt (4 years instead of 2). It is also a large assumption that I would even be accepted to that program.

What would would you do in my situation?
As far as UPenn Law, it is a Top 7 program. Which means high paying jobs. Which means competition for slots.

Which means it is unlikely that they will grant you admission just because you happen to get straight As in their first year planning program (a decent but not amazing feat by any stretch).

I'm pretty sure you'll need comparable GPA and LSATs with others who got admitted to UPenn Law. Though I could be wrong, I don't think so.

Rutgers also has a JD/MCRP program. Feel free to PM me if you need the low down.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No, but a million dollars sure is.

$60K will double every nine years at 8%

$120K in 9 years
$240K in 18 years
$480K in 27 years
$960K in 35 years
Haha, not exactly what I meant. I was saying if Penn leads me to a slightly higher paying job, it would eventually outweigh the money I'd have to pay now. But yah, I completely understand your point about debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
As far as UPenn Law, it is a Top 7 program. Which means high paying jobs. Which means competition for slots.

Which means it is unlikely that they will grant you admission just because you happen to get straight As in their first year planning program (a decent but not amazing feat by any stretch).

I'm pretty sure you'll need comparable GPA and LSATs with others who got admitted to UPenn Law. Though I could be wrong, I don't think so.

Rutgers also has a JD/MCRP program. Feel free to PM me if you need the low down.
I have a 3.95 undergrad GPA and I tend to be a very good test taker. Even so I realize it's a HUGE risk to attend Penn without a guarantee I'll get into the joint program. I guess as far as Rutgers Law goes, I've been scared away from non-T14 law schools.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM

As for everyone else. Thanks for the advice so far! I'm definitely leaning toward Rutgers at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities