Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:55 PM

125 posts, read 578,974 times

Advertisements

For a future Genetic Engineer/Genetic Counselor:

What would anyone's advice be on returning to school to finish undergrad with definite plans on attending grad school - study a more specific major (i.e. molecular bio) at the undergrad school that has the really good grad program you want to attend (and have to pick up and relocate to another state to do this, leave a good job (but no future for me, etc.), OR take a more general major (specific is not offered) at a not-so-great school (fourth tier) so I don't have to pick up and re-locate (cause their is a great grad school here for genetics)

Ahhhg. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 PM

987 posts, read 3,820,892 times
Never make decisions based on dreams that haven't yet come true.

Work on your grammar. I think this is the more pressing issue.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:34 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,158,323 times
It usually does not make sense to go to the school you want to go for grad school as an undergrad. Graduate programs will not accept many people from their undergrad programs, they like to get new blood into the programs. They also know all the details about you, so unlike other programs you have to look good on paper and in person. I have seen people get rejected because the program knew too much about their personal life and thought they would not be entirely focused on their ph.d

Also, I should note that if you're not coming directly out of high school you're most likely going to have to start at a crappy school and work yourself up. You may have to even start at a Community College.

But as the person above suggested, you are not really stuck in anything. Have you been accepted in any programs yet? No point in worry where you are going to go if you don't even know whether you can go there or not. You can apply to multiple schools.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:42 PM

125 posts, read 578,974 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Never make decisions based on dreams that haven't yet come true.

Work on your grammar. I think this is the more pressing issue.
Thanks for the advice, but I'll pass. One must make decisions for the future and what is the best path towards making their dreams come true.

Also,I'm not really concerned about my grammar on an internet forum - my point was made, and I could care less if I had a run on sentence or two. I'm not submitting a paper, thesis, or any of the like here on city-data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities