Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM

5,053 posts, read 6,353,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Most of the class is in their Jr. Year and many will be going on to a semester abroad or an internship soon. You would think that the students would be fine communicators already and be great at interviewing and have a great resume and could sell themselves well, but most are just plain terrible.
How in the world can you know that? You're making a lot of assumptions and inferences you're neither qualified to make nor in place to see. I see that in a lot of your posts...but maybe you're just...uh...making conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 PM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Except for the first two most college students wouldn't know how to do most of what you listed.

Running a meeting is both a skill and an art, for example.
Office politics? Just look at some threads here from people in over their heads.
Email use and appropriate times for other forms of communication. That is now something that has to be taught and hopefully learned.
Working with difficult people has to be learned.

Didn't you start a thread a couple weeks ago about your inability to communicate with some higher level personage? You might have benefitted from the class.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except for the first two most college students wouldn't know how to do most of what you listed.

Running a meeting is both a skill and an art, for example.
Office politics? Just look at some threads here from people in over their heads.
Email use and appropriate times for other forms of communication. That is now something that has to be taught and hopefully learned.
Working with difficult people has to be learned.
I think while there is an art to these, it can help to learn these several times. Hearing this several times could help with retention of these skills. As well as regular use...

Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,387,460 times
I would have taken a class like this in college and I think many students could benefit from this.

I work at a university and the way students communicate over email and the phone is absolutely terrible.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM

919 posts, read 1,783,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Almost all accounting majors who plan on obtaining their CPA license have to take some sort of ethics course. My state Board of Accountancy required that I pass an ethics exam after passing the other CPA exams, and it was actually not easy. There were a lot of things to study regarding situations that would impair auditor independence (i.e you have a spouse that owns stock outright in a company you are auditing vs. a spouse owns stock through a managed mutual fund in a company you are auditing - in which situation would independence be impaired, etc.).

Also, the BEC exam (part of the 4-part CPA exam) tests written communication skills. I was an English Lit undergrad, so it was very disheartening for me to see how many people in my CPA review classes who were unable to formulate a complete sentence.
Yup, ethics was on the day that we had to take the Law section of the exam, many years ago. It wasn't easy, but it sure was a lot easier than Practice and Theory, where we had to do problems on M&A and such, that was a real butt kicker. Looking back, the bulk of the exam came from Intermediate Accounting classes, which was our wash out series for Accounting majors. Well over 1/2 of beginning Acct. majors were gone prior to the end of that series. Brings back memories, Gleims study guides, reading FASB's, man, that was a bear....

Back to the OP, we had to take Business Communications classes, but they were industrial strength research and writing classes. We were required to do 20 page term papers, attend stockholder meetings and write reports of what was said and how well it was said, read reams of newspaper/industry journals, know what peer reviewed materials were and how to use them properly. If memory serves, we had two classes that focused on communications, and they were some of the best classes in the Business/Finance Departments. I have no idea what they evolved/devolved into, but they were demanding in my time....

Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
Ok, well....an easy A.

At least its somewhat more practical than the idiotic Business Communications course I had to take--

pretend you're the CEO of an organization and presenting your yearly status report to your shareholders. WTH.....now really, how can I pretend to be something I'm not? Plus, we were all supposed to get dressed up in "business attire", some kids traded off the jacket, tie, etc........how ridiculous......like real important, for a new college grad, to know how to pretend to be a CEO I think what the OP listed is at least more practical and aimed at what the new grad will be needing, rather than putting on a pretend show....sort of like my kids in elementary school and their dress-up days----pretend you're Snow White, a cowboy, a prarie dog....geez i got sooooo sick of dressing the kids up in goofy costumes..guess dress-up never ends!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:25 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Yup, ethics was on the day that we had to take the Law section of the exam, many years ago. It wasn't easy, but it sure was a lot easier than Practice and Theory, where we had to do problems on M&A and such, that was a real butt kicker. Looking back, the bulk of the exam came from Intermediate Accounting classes, which was our wash out series for Accounting majors. Well over 1/2 of beginning Acct. majors were gone prior to the end of that series. Brings back memories, Gleims study guides, reading FASB's, man, that was a bear....

Back to the OP, we had to take Business Communications classes, but they were industrial strength research and writing classes. We were required to do 20 page term papers, attend stockholder meetings and write reports of what was said and how well it was said, read reams of newspaper/industry journals, know what peer reviewed materials were and how to use them properly. If memory serves, we had two classes that focused on communications, and they were some of the best classes in the Business/Finance Departments. I have no idea what they evolved/devolved into, but they were demanding in my time....
Not the FASB.........

Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 AM

318 posts, read 567,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Didn't you start a thread a couple weeks ago about your inability to communicate with some higher level personage? You might have benefitted from the class.
You are right and I am failing in my new job because I don't have good workplace communication skills.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 AM

919 posts, read 1,783,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Not the FASB.........
Yea, the horror!!!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM

318 posts, read 567,315 times
Lots of the students went to the dean and tried to get out of the class because they said they knew all about getting a jobs and communicating on the job. When asked how they told about getting a part time job at CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities