Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 PM

919 posts, read 1,692,848 times

Advertisements

Since the fancy college thread was closed for being off topic, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread dedicated to discussing those other things related to college. (Mostly because I wanted to post and couldn't lol) anyway, piggybacking off of the other thread I would like to say:

1. I didn't apply to colleges I didn't visit. I wanted to be nearby, so the longest trip was Up to cortland and oneonta

2. I ended up applying to 7 of the 10 schools I visited ( i visited a few alone)

3. I know only 1 person who applied to over 10 schools.

4. For me visits were important, I was invited to an overnight at an all girls school and my initial reaction was EW but after visiting I loved it and applied.

Um, yeah I guess I'll add anything necessary as people comment; what are your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Since the fancy college thread was closed for being off topic, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread dedicated to discussing those other things related to college. (Mostly because I wanted to post and couldn't lol) anyway, piggybacking off of the other thread I would like to say:

1. I didn't apply to colleges I didn't visit. I wanted to be nearby, so the longest trip was Up to cortland and oneonta

2. I ended up applying to 7 of the 10 schools I visited ( i visited a few alone)

3. I know only 1 person who applied to over 10 schools.

4. For me visits were important, I was invited to an overnight at an all girls school and my initial reaction was EW but after visiting I loved it and applied.

Um, yeah I guess I'll add anything necessary as people comment; what are your thoughts
1. My kids visit colleges and then decide where to apply.
2. I don't remember how many we visited but my son applied to 5 schools.
3. My son knows a few people who applied to over 10 schools but most applied to around 7
4. I agree visits were important to my son.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,123,536 times
I did it the opposite way. I applied first, and then visited after I was accepted.

When I was visited the college I ended up attending, it literally BLEW ME AWAY, and I convinced my parents to send me there.

This may sound ridiculously mature and dreary, but if I were to do it over, I would NEVER choose the college with the prettiest campus, best college town, and cities and fun activites nearby.

Too many distractions.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
My kids visited colleges far and wide, South to Florida, West to Colorado and North to Vermont. They ended up in Illinois, SW Virginia and Vermont, all small privates. They did a combination of visiting some before applying and acceptance but also visited a couple after applying and acceptance. My oldest son visited his college after getting the final offer.

All of us love traveling and the college visits were like mini road trips. With my last child, we did several college visits with friends or his cousin and my SIL. Most were not overnights, but some were. Each of my kids also did a solo visit or two. Each college that we visited informed the student about what they liked and didn't like and made contrasting and comparing those traits easier. I'm not talking about stuff like dorms or food, those weren't make or break items, but that did come into play.

For instance, my daughter wanted to major in education and wanted to do a study abroad. She also wanted a diverse student body and a robust education program where students got in the classroom ASAP. For her, we looked at several state colleges but she didn't find the students at the ones we visited as engaged in their studies and she was wary of the party atmosphere. Also, since she didn't particularly want to teach in her home state, it didn't matter so much if she got her certification OOS. We did request though, that she get PA certification so she could teach here too. She ended up at a small Christian college where a huge percentage went abroad and were themselves from OOS or from out of the country.

The search process can also involve a changing major. It's very common for kids to change majors once they are in college but I think that's partly because they may not be really thinking about what kind of classes are involved in each major. For my youngest child, he thought he might do computer science, information science or information technology. At each college we would look into the curriculum first for those majors. When he visited RIT in the summer before his senior year - RIT College & Careers he found a Network Security major that really interested him. (BTW, this is an EXCELLENT program for potential STEM majors) . He applied and was accepted to RIT, but because of other factors, it did not make the short list. In this child's college search we also discovered that he wanted a connection with his Professors so we made a point of meeting with the head of the department when we could. We only pay for four years of college for our kids, so changing majors could have been costly for them. This child ended up in a college majoring in Computer Networking and Information Security with a specialty in cyber security and a minor in digital forensics. He's doing an internship in his field this summer.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,113 times
1. I visited colleges either long before I applied, shortly before applying, or shortly after I applied. 2 of the schools I applied to were in North Carolina, and two were in the midwest.

2. I applied only to 4 schools.

3. I cannot remember anyone I know who applied to more then 10.

4. Visits were important as after the visits I ended up liking 2 of the schools a lot more then the other 2. I also had done a summer college course at one of them during high school and loved it.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,479,390 times
My parents started taking me to visit colleges my freshman year as part of family road trips, so by the time I was ready to apply, I only had to make one specialized trip to New England to really visit a few key schools. I decided not to apply to schools I had not visited, which probably crossed off a lot of great west coast schools that I would have loved off of my list.

I applied early decision, so in the end, I only applied to handful of schools (1 binding early decision at my top school, and 2 nonbinding early action). However, I had completed applications for about 15 schools. I got a lot of fee waivers based on my grades and demographics (rural Georgia seemed to help in the applicant pool for New England schools) and was applying to highly selective colleges so it made sense to anticipate broadening my reach for both acceptance and scholarship reasons.

Visits were important. There were a few schools that I was really into when I was researching colleges that I did not like when I visited (academics not as strong as I thought, huge parking lots that signaled a commuter presence that I didn't want, etc). On the same hand, I was very enthused by my first choice school before I visited, but absolutely sold by the tour, classroom visits, and visiting some of the clubs and activities that I was interested in.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,300,703 times
I visited 7 different colleges, almost every school I was truly interested in. 3 were in the next city over, Greensboro, and they were all in-state, so it wasn't that expensive an endeavor.

In addition, since I knew was going to be a theatre major, I arranged a separate department tour at every school that offered one. I also saw a play at every school I got into (except one, but they were able to give me some clips from their last performance). These were very important to me in making my decision.

The final two schools I narrowed it down to were a private school vs. a state university. I got a significant scholarship from the private school that made the cost nearly equal. Without visiting, and without viewing the plays, I would have had no idea which one to pick.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,377,566 times
Neither of my kids visited colleges until they had been accepted. After being accepted, Ds visited the college he had as #1 on his list, liked everything about it, felt it was a real good fit and that he would be happy attending. He accepted admission and chose not to visit any of the 8 other colleges he was accepted to.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,377,566 times
Didn't comment on the other question

My son applied to 13 colleges. His twin applied to 2 (accepted at both, visited neither, & decided instead to attend community college for an AA-T). Most of their friends applied to approx. 15 colleges. Their school advised applying to 7-10 colleges, with all CSU's and all UC's considered one application.

Looking around at dd & ds's friends, the families that could afford it appeared to visit colleges (before & after acceptances), occasionally revisiting 1-2 more times. Many others didn't visit at all and waited for acceptances to come in, then decided where/if to visit.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:07 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times
DSS94, Theater majors, just like athletes, usually have a very different college search process. Did you go into a program that required an audition? In fact, College Confidential has a whole section just for theater majors! Theater/Drama Majors - College Confidential I've heard that colleges that require auditions can be really picky.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities