Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,292,553 times

Advertisements

^^

Yes, Charles . . . at age 81.

[quote=Hamish Forbes;29558031]Mortimer Adler was one of the more interesting cases of someone who refused to take the Ivy-League swimming test on principle. Columbia University withheld his Bachelors degree as a result. Nevertheless, he became a lecturer and then a professor at Columbia, received his PhD there, and later went on to the faculty at the University of Chicago. He is also remembered as an enthusiastic proponent of the Great Books and as editor of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Columbia relented at some point, and gave him his BA late in life.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,349,417 times
This is the sort of oversimplification that misses the point. I was certainly not a happy camper when my alma mater, (Penn State), told me that I would either pass swimming or spend all eight of my mandatory PE courses "in the tank". And this happened to be only the first year after a new pool ended the practice of all-male groups in older, windowless pools swimming au naturel.

But it was explained to us early on that, in the mold of a highly-regarded program developed at Georgia Tech, the real object here was to "drownproof" us -- to allow us to survive in deep water for as long as possible. Most people can float for a long time, if their fear of water is overcome. But in any case, we would meet the requirement as long as some progress was made; you didn't have to master a half-dozen different strokes.

At any rate, due to some physical issues, the process took two terms instead of one, but I did pass the course and could still swim a mile nonstop years later; the progress at mastering a physical challenge, a rarity for me, was also a big psychological boost. And I'm sure the "swim or no degree" requirement would have been waived in any case, so long as I'd made my best effort.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-14-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times
I went to University of Chicago and we had a swim test there.
It was untimed in a half length pool. More than a few people passed by floating on their back and kicking off the sides.
If you failed, you were required to a take a no-credit no-tuition swim class.

The physical fitness test, though, was more difficult. Generally only recruited athletes passed it completely. If you failed, you had to take one to three 18 hour fitness classes (for free), depending on how you did on the test.

UofC dropped the fitness and swim requirements this last academic year though. This pissed off a lot of alumni, but by now they are all used to the common core being regular cut ever since the days of Hugo Sonnenschein as president

Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,847 times
My high school had a swim requirement to graduate. I remember (waaaay) back then that the PE instructor said something to the effect of "last year x number of people died due to drowning. There is never a reason any person over the age of x should die from drowning, therefore you must pass basic swimming in one semester in order to graduate".

Can't really argue with that logic. Drowning due to an accident, being drunk/high, or being an infant is one thing. Drowning because you can't swim is pretty inexcuseable (IMO).

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,061,074 times
I think it is a good requirement. Didn't bother me in the least to take the test. You can dog paddle across the pool if you want. No one is timing you or evaluating your technique.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,278,962 times
I can't technically swim but I could flop/doggy paddle my way to the other-side of a pool if I had to.

Although if it was a requirement and people were looking at me, I'd take some classes and learn for real.

In general, I stay away from water.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,470,443 times
My college (Middlebury) had a "treading-water" test. As I recall, we had to jump into the deep end of the pool and stay afloat for 5 minutes.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I was shocked to learn that certain Ivy League schools make you pass a swim test before you can graduate. I think that is kind of crazy. What about anybody else?
To go to my high school you have to pass a swim test.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM

4,387 posts, read 4,242,019 times
I just learned that one of my favorite people, Mortimer J. Adler, never received his bachelor's degree from Columbia because he refused to take the swimming test. Nevertheless, he immediately enrolled in their graduate school and went on to teach there for quite some time before going to Chicago. How interesting!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,802,795 times
We had to pass one semester of swimming at my high school, too, but we didn't have it at my university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities