U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 AM

757 posts, read 1,057,650 times

Advertisements

I would like to join my college's student government when I enroll this Fall. Although, I would like to hear anecdotes from some of you to know what the experience was like . I'm relatively shy, and I want to try this in order to get out of my comfort zone, and meet new people. So can anyone share??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 AM

550 posts, read 1,229,149 times
The only time I cared about student government was the year they decided to raise the athletic fee.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 AM

11,742 posts, read 21,520,067 times
What is SGA like at your school? At my school it was mostly considered a joke and had very little student support.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM

550 posts, read 1,229,149 times
Ditto. I think it's like that most places.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,848,387 times
^
Hey, Im a nother shy person....:-)

I was in the SGA at the University of Kentucky back in the very early 1980s, for two years.

UK's set up was that they had reps from the various colleges and at-large reps. The college reps also sat on the Faculty Senate, and two of the college reps also sat on the Faculty Senate Council, which was the agenda setting body of the Faculty Senate (where the real work got done, so to speak).

I was a a college rep, and on my second year I was also on the Faculty Senate Council.

So from my POV, you got to see a lot of the inner working of the academic side of the univeristy via that participation in the faculty side of things.

I also learned a lot about parliamentary procedure, since we were run pretty strictly via Roberts Rules. There was also a lot of other things...The SGA actually had control of a nice budget for student activities and we got to set policy on things like activity fees, funding campus orgs, etc....

So it was pretty interesting, actually, a valuable experience.

Also interesting is that I learned you can be freinds with your ideological or political oppenents....

Of course that was then and this is now.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Hey, Im a nother shy person....:-)

I was in the SGA at the University of Kentucky back in the very early 1980s, for two years.

UK's set up was that they had reps from the various colleges and at-large reps. The college reps also sat on the Faculty Senate, and two of the college reps also sat on the Faculty Senate Council, which was the agenda setting body of the Faculty Senate (where the real work got done, so to speak).

I was a a college rep, and on my second year I was also on the Faculty Senate Council.

So from my POV, you got to see a lot of the inner working of the academic side of the univeristy via that participation in the faculty side of things.

I also learned a lot about parliamentary procedure, since we were run pretty strictly via Roberts Rules. There was also a lot of other things...The SGA actually had control of a nice budget for student activities and we got to set policy on things like activity fees, funding campus orgs, etc....

So it was pretty interesting, actually, a valuable experience.

Also interesting is that I learned you can be freinds with your ideological or political oppenents....

Of course that was then and this is now.
It's good to hear you got a good learning experience out of the whole thing. I'm going to be enrolled into Brooklyn College this Fall. This schools student government is a little different than some of the other colleges, especially from the other colleges in the city. According to their student government page, this is the first college in the United States to attempt participatory budgeting. Basically, the school is given $25,000 and the students (I'm guessing the ones on the committees) have complete control on what that money is going to be used for in the future.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM

4,244 posts, read 6,848,387 times
^
I think this isn't too uncommon in terms of controlling a portion of ths student activity budget, but it goes beyond that that is pretty good, much more participatory.

@@@

One thing I learned there is sort of an inner circle of folks who make things happen. This is beyond that 'Faculty Senate Council' I mentioned (which was a formal committee)...what I'm talking about is an informal inner circle.

You had two types of members of the SGA. The ones who joined as a resume' building thing and just showed up at the meetings (we had a required attendance and if you didnt attend you lost your seat), and others who either where really interested in politics or who wanted to make a difference

Since I joined I showed a bit more intiative and interest than the average memeber, I was sort of brought in to the inner circle. That was how I got on the Faculty Senate Council, since the two student reps were chosen by a caucus. I wanted to join my first year, but didnt make it. Later, as I became more involved, I had the support to get on the second year.

Sort of like it works in the real world. You pay your dues, and 'show up' and contribute...and you get brought in more....

Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM

4,579 posts, read 4,120,641 times
I joined my university's student government when I was in grad school and I found it to be an extremely rewarding experience.

Firstly, for just the graduate student government alone we managed a seven-figure budget. One of the responsibilities of the university-wide student government was to determine how those funds were allocated to each school's (medical school, law school, SEAS, etc) individual student governments. We allocated the second half of those funds for campus-wide programs, activities, events and awards. Significant portions of our meetings were dedicated to presentations from individual students and organizations seeking funding for travel, projects and activities.

We were also advocates for the graduate student body. Top-level university administrators regularly met with the general assembly to provide insight into how the university operated and members of the general assembly often sat on university-wide committees and task forces, giving us a say in many of the decisions. As a member of the student government, you can learn a lot about the inner workings of a university and you'll also have the opportunity to impact how it's run.

Thirdly, the graduate student government was also responsible for much of the graduate student programming. We put together several service activities, lectures, seminars and social events in attempt to enrich the graduate student experience.

Finally, participation in graduate student government was a great way to meet and work with students from other schools at the university. This probably isn't as big of a deal for undergrads, but in grad school, students spend most of their time within their own discipline. Other than student government, I can't think of another scenario where future MDs, MBAs, and JDs regularly work alongside and socialize with Economics, Music and Archaeology PhDs. There was always an open bar after the General Assembly meetings and it was fascinating to hear about all the different and amazing things that people were working on.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Sort of like it works in the real world. You pay your dues, and 'show up' and contribute...and you get brought in more....
You mentioned in the first post that you're a shy guy. Did you personally have to do a lot of talking at the --im assuming-- weekly meetings? Did you have to engage in public debates with your political opponents? What are some of the actions you had take to get your message out to the student body, and how did that work with your introverted personality??

Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 AM

843 posts, read 1,569,308 times
I was hardly aware of its existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities