Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM

164 posts, read 244,562 times

Advertisements

i'm thinking about double majoring in criminal justice and forensic science; i already know that ASU's forensic science program is accredited, but how good is their CJ program?

my school in ohio has it along with a peace officer training program, and i do like the curriculum. i've been here for 4 yrs but i dont want to stay here anymore. ASU is a smaller school with about 4000 whereas my school has 14,000; with my anxiety issues, i think being in a smaller setting would help but i do want a good education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM

albany state in georgia

Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,523,001 times
You won't need a peace officer training program if you get picked up by a police department with its own academy. Some police departments will make you go through their academy no matter if you're licensed or not. It's not really important in this field, but if you're worried about prestige, then U.S. News has a ranking of criminology programs. While criminology and criminal justice aren't the same, the schools with the best criminology programs should have good criminal justice programs too.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...ology-rankings

Wherever you go, criminal justice courses will be super easy.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You won't need a peace officer training program if you get picked up by a police department with its own academy. Some police departments will make you go through their academy no matter if you're licensed or not. It's not really important in this field, but if you're worried about prestige, then U.S. News has a ranking of criminology programs. While criminology and criminal justice aren't the same, the schools with the best criminology programs should have good criminal justice programs too.

Best Criminology Programs | Top Criminology Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

thank you

Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post

Best Criminology Programs | Top Criminology Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

i see sam houston on the list and thats where i wanted to go for my masters in forensic science.

do you know anyone who attended or is attending?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM

219 posts, read 432,549 times
If you want to get a degree in Forensic Science, don't get an undergraduate degree in CJ. Best to focus on Chemistry with minor in CJ (not the other way around). You will not get admitted with a CJ degree, at least not to Sam Houston (says so right on the program's website).

Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
If you want to get a degree in Forensic Science, don't get an undergraduate degree in CJ. Best to focus on Chemistry with minor in CJ (not the other way around). You will not get admitted with a CJ degree, at least not to Sam Houston (says so right on the program's website).
i want to be csi, not working in crime labs. sam houston doesnt have forensic science in undergrad, only in grad. but they do have forensic chemistry in undergrad, i'm not interested in that though.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,523,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahprints View Post
i see sam houston on the list and thats where i wanted to go for my masters in forensic science.

do you know anyone who attended or is attending?
Being from Texas, it is THE school to go to for criminal justice in the state. There is a major prison there in Huntsville.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM

219 posts, read 432,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetahprints View Post
i want to be csi, not working in crime labs. sam houston doesnt have forensic science in undergrad, only in grad. but they do have forensic chemistry in undergrad, i'm not interested in that though.
Yes, but the grad program in Forensic Science requires a undergrad in natural science.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,254,831 times
SUNY Albany is a top SUNY school and one of the Four Flag Ship Universities of the State University system. Located in the State Capitol, I'd imagine that internship opportunities would be plentiful - especially with the State bureau of investigation.

Look into it more, but if you see yourself working in the criminal justice field, and you want to stay in NY State, I can't see where this could be a bad choice.

If you want to work in Texas, I'd go to college at a place that is well connected to that state, and law enforcement there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities