Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:18 AM

65 posts, read 232,564 times

Advertisements

I'm a semi-new single mom and my little one is 2. My 32nd birthday is looming and it really struck me today how little progress I've made towards getting my degree. I live in Texas and have been taking classes online at Central Texas College and AMU but just found out today that three CLEP tests I took back when I was active duty will not transfer because they are too old. So that's 9 credit hours I thought were taken care of but aren't.

My original plan before my husband and I divorced was to get my associates in Interdisciplinary Studies and then transfer to a 4 year university. Uni. of North Texas has an aviation logistics program which I'm very interested in and one of the only programs of its kind I've found. But the situation at home being what it is now, I can't just leave my job and the benefits/pay it provides and go to school full time. I have zero family/friends nearby that could help out with child care and I can't really afford night or weekend care from a babysitter (my ex is around but isn't reliable for something like this), especially if I'm not working!

Those of you who have been in similar situations, would you advise pressing on so that I at least have my associates? Or should I just not bother if I can't get a Bachelor's? I work in civil service and many of the higher ups didn't get their degrees until later in life, but things were much different in the 80's and 90's hiring-wise than they are now. I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time since the military retirees will most likely get the higher grade jobs anyways, and my degree without 20+ years of experience won't match up to them.

Just don't want to carry on down a path that will cause a lot of stree only for it to all be for nothing, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,377,066 times
I think continuing on with schooling is the thing to do. If I were single and 32, it would keep me from getting out "amongst them" so to speak.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,095,666 times
You do it by moving forward a class or two at a time every semester. It is easy NOT to take classes. I was 39 when I received my BA and 48 when I received my MA.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM

389 posts, read 911,701 times
Just because your old CLEP tests were not accepted due to the age of the exam doesn't mean you can't return to CLEP testing now. There are also online universities (and I am not talking about Univ of Phoenix) that will grant a good number of credits for CLEP exams plus take their classes from your home computer. I would suggest some computer research as there is quite a following of adult learners who have made it their goal in life to earn a college degree using mostly credit by examination (CLEP, DSST, Excelsior College Exams, etc.).

Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,237,606 times
Absolutely continue working toward a degree. If you haven't done so already, meet with your advisor to discuss options. If your college is affiliated with a military base, they often have weekend classes.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 PM

10,162 posts, read 20,701,071 times
Shop around for other schools to take your classes online, maybe they'll accept the CLEP grades. Park University in Missouri is a popular school among military and veterans. They are a brick and mortar university that has been around since the late 1800's. Tuition is farely low, but if you're using the GI Bill you can probably do better. Look at other universities that offer online degrees such as University of Massachusetts, which is a very good school.

Having the flexibility offered through online courses is a tremendous benefit for anyone who is strapped for time. You can do your coursework when the little one has gone to bed and not have to worry about getting to class or finding daycare. The online degree is accredited and in many schools there is no distinction between online or on-campus classes in terms of your degree.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times
Can you find out if TX has any special programs to assist single parents returning to school?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,918 times
Hang in there. I'm 38, divorced father of two, and I started college from scratch this year. Paying out of pocket, too. One class at a time.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 PM

9 posts, read 25,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv0608 View Post
I'm a semi-new single mom and my little one is 2. My 32nd birthday is looming and it really struck me today how little progress I've made towards getting my degree. I live in Texas and have been taking classes online at Central Texas College and AMU but just found out today that three CLEP tests I took back when I was active duty will not transfer because they are too old. So that's 9 credit hours I thought were taken care of but aren't.

My original plan before my husband and I divorced was to get my associates in Interdisciplinary Studies and then transfer to a 4 year university. Uni. of North Texas has an aviation logistics program which I'm very interested in and one of the only programs of its kind I've found. But the situation at home being what it is now, I can't just leave my job and the benefits/pay it provides and go to school full time. I have zero family/friends nearby that could help out with child care and I can't really afford night or weekend care from a babysitter (my ex is around but isn't reliable for something like this), especially if I'm not working!

Those of you who have been in similar situations, would you advise pressing on so that I at least have my associates? Or should I just not bother if I can't get a Bachelor's? I work in civil service and many of the higher ups didn't get their degrees until later in life, but things were much different in the 80's and 90's hiring-wise than they are now. I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time since the military retirees will most likely get the higher grade jobs anyways, and my degree without 20+ years of experience won't match up to them.

Just don't want to carry on down a path that will cause a lot of stree only for it to all be for nothing, you know?
Well, you're in a tough spot. Going to school part time is going to take a very long time to even get your associates degree. Though, this seems like your only option. Still though, I have 2 associates degrees and a CCNA certificate, and they don't mean anything right now anyway because of the economy. People with engineering, math, and law degrees can't get jobs.

Going to college is a good thing, especially if you're going there to actually learn and not just for the paper. Getting an associates in arts will give you good basic skills like math and English. This is necessary. But you could also learn these on your own if you really wanted to. All the things you need are on the Internet.

My daughter lives with my ex and I want my ex to go to college like I do too. But she's got a job and her mother is living with them too. So, not only she has to provide for our daughter, she also has to provide for her mother. She too wants to go to college, but we can't figure out how she can do it without dropping her job and taking out loans. But these loans are scary. They'll stick to you forever. You can't discharge them.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 PM

9 posts, read 25,440 times
By the way, according to USNews, Pace University is #1 in Online Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities