Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM

2,570 posts, read 7,717,376 times

Advertisements

I have applied to scholarships before through those big scholarship websites but up to this point I haven't applied to any directly through my school until recently. Mainly because this will be my 3rd semester at this school and I missed the Spring general scholarship deadline in March and also because I needed to bring my institutional GPA up to qualify for most of them and I didn't manage that until the second semester. My overall GPA factoring in my community college class grades was ok, just not the institutional from since I transferred.

Anyway I was emailed about a scholarship that I qualify for and the deadline was different from the others. It was announced back in February and the deadline was set for June 1st and then on top of that they extended it to June 15th (wonder why?). So, I applied.

I am just wondering if anyone knows how soon schools usually make decisions about scholarships once the deadline has passed, and if they will notify me if I am not chosen? Also, are scholarships usually awarded for an entire academic year or per semester? I couldn't find any info on this for this particular scholarship, the only thing I found was that it was not to exceed $5000 per year and was to supplement other aid.

I think I have a good shot at this one so I am kind of anxious because I am also short this year with other aid, so this would help a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 02:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,118,536 times
I would say that they would let you know "soon" but when exactly is hard to say. All the scholarships work differently. The academic scholarships our kids got initially came with their acceptance letters--mostly in October and November. There were some other scholarships that they applied for that had on-campus interviews, etc. and they were notified of those about 3 weeks after the competition completed. Other scholarships came in March with their "aid" package--of which they go no aid but it listed other departmental scholarships they received.

For private scholarships, most of those were May notifications. I'm assuming since they extended the deadline for your scholarship that they either didn't have enough applicants or none of the applicants were qualified.

I would say by mid-July you should hear something but that is just a guess.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,717,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would say that they would let you know "soon" but when exactly is hard to say. All the scholarships work differently. The academic scholarships our kids got initially came with their acceptance letters--mostly in October and November. There were some other scholarships that they applied for that had on-campus interviews, etc. and they were notified of those about 3 weeks after the competition completed. Other scholarships came in March with their "aid" package--of which they go no aid but it listed other departmental scholarships they received.

For private scholarships, most of those were May notifications. I'm assuming since they extended the deadline for your scholarship that they either didn't have enough applicants or none of the applicants were qualified.

I would say by mid-July you should hear something but that is just a guess.
Thanks. I hope it is soon but I would guess worst case scenario I'll know by August!

My birthday is in July, maybe I will get lucky. It's a scholarship tailored more for the non-traditional student and it seems like most students at my school are traditional so here's hoping there weren't many applicants for this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities