Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times

Advertisements

God forbid (see what I did there) that you have to attend a city council meeting for your American Gov't class. What are these crazy profs thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 PM

30,557 posts, read 16,251,943 times
I also agree with TabulaRasa.

All you've learned is you can whine your way out of an assignment you don't want to do.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 PM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I also agree with TabulaRasa.

All you've learned is you can whine your way out of an assignment you don't want to do.
Isn't that a valuable skill?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
This is my fourth class with yet another stupid assignment. It's a World Religions class and my assignment is to interview a local clergy member. I'm not comfortable doing that! Plus, I've left voice messages at three churches with no return calls. An assignment should NOT be dependent on something like this. Now, I get to get a B or C in this class, instead of an A. Granted this isn't as bad as some of the really over-the-top assignments I've read about in the news over the years. Teachers really don't get the real world at all.
I had a similar assignment in a Religion and Politics course. We had to go to a church service in a different religion and write a short paper about our experience. I was hoping to duck in and out of the service but it was not to be. Everyone knew I was not a member and came up and introduced themselves, thinking I was a potential new member. I felt uncomfortable leaving before the service was over, so I stayed for the entire program and talked to both the pastors since they were a husband and wife team. It was definitely not something I would have done if it wasn't an assignment.

I had an assignment in another class where I had to visit, record my experiences and make comparisons between a fast food restaurant and a neighborhood bar/restaurant, but I digress.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,718,912 times
I had an assignment for some anthropology class to interview a person over age 75 -- I did it. Wrote a two page (max) report on it and could have written more.

Assignment to observe a child under age five on three separate occasions--I did it. Wrote a paper on it.

If you are not mature enough to go to the trouble of doing your assignments but to complain and wiggle out of them, how do you think you are ever going to get a job? You will have to go out into the big bad world someday and do things you are not comfortable doing. You do need to get used to that and stop babying yourself.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I find that hilarious.

I decided I was an agnostic at 12. Why would anyone take a world's religions class? Which religion can prove there is a god? But I agree, an assignment should not depend on the behavior of someone other than the student.

psik
If you get a chance, consider attending a university at some point in your life. You'll learn why such a class can be important whether or not you believe in God.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
This is my fourth class with yet another stupid assignment. It's a World Religions class and my assignment is to interview a local clergy member. I'm not comfortable doing that! Plus, I've left voice messages at three churches with no return calls. An assignment should NOT be dependent on something like this. Now, I get to get a B or C in this class, instead of an A. Granted this isn't as bad as some of the really over-the-top assignments I've read about in the news over the years. Teachers really don't get the real world at all.
This is an academic setting. A significant amount of your research will be gathered by interviewing all sorts of people during your academic career. I couldn't imagine a more valid assignment for this class at the college level.

It's not that professors don't get the real world. It's that you don't understand academia. Which is sad, given that you're a college student.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had an assignment for some anthropology class to interview a person over age 75 -- I did it. Wrote a two page (max) report on it and could have written more.

Assignment to observe a child under age five on three separate occasions--I did it. Wrote a paper on it.

If you are not mature enough to go to the trouble of doing your assignments but to complain and wiggle out of them, how do you think you are ever going to get a job? You will have to go out into the big bad world someday and do things you are not comfortable doing. You do need to get used to that and stop babying yourself.
As a freshman in high school my daughter needed to interview several WWII veterans for an assignment. This was almost 10 years ago and she still occasionally talks about the positive experience.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
How is this NOT a "real world" assignment?

What could possibly make it more "real world," if not, you know, talking with people in the real world.?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,180,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is an academic setting. A significant amount of your research will be gathered by interviewing all sorts of people during your academic career. I couldn't imagine a more valid assignment for this class at the college level.

It's not that professors don't get the real world. It's that you don't understand academia. Which is sad, given that you're a college student.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities