Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,237,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I have to get that piece of paper to advance in my career, despite already being qualified. Hey, I'll play by the new rules. I loke this class amd the professor a lot. After seeing it from the standpoint of the average student, I get how this assignment could teach them something. I get it.

Yes, the assignment is so simple to me as to be banal, except my lingering distaste with the church (it has to be a Christian denomination for the assignment) as a gay man. That and having to depend on a response from someone who could care less about me. Still waiting in call backs...
Perhaps, you could contact a church from your childhood, or your Grandmother' or Aunt's church and interview someone there via Skype.

Or find a GLBT friendly church (ask around) and interview that minister/priest for your project via Skype.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-27-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM

102,280 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Or find a GLT friendly church (ask around) and interview that minister/priest for your project via Skype.
Now she's onto something!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,946,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Now she's onto something!
Yeah, a friend just sent me a contact for MCC. I feel better about the assignment. It will take me 5 minutes. My essay project coming due will provide me a better challenge, so Im just looking forward to that. Thanks for the tips and support! People don't realize how alien school is when you go back 20 years later!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,717,826 times
Seriously, if it didn't have to be local, I'd put you in contact with my Lutheran pastor and her wife...might give you an interesting perspective on GLBT issues and Christianity.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seriously, if it didn't have to be local, I'd put you in contact with my Lutheran pastor and her wife...might give you an interesting perspective on GLBT issues and Christianity.
I know a fair bit. Up North, there are several mainline churches which are "accepting". Here in the South? Not so much.

I over-reacted a bit to the assignment originally. Part of it was a recent interaction I had when I was buying engagement rings for me and my new fiancee. A guy in the store overheard and claimed he was a minister and got very up in my face. at one point, I thought he was going to take a swing at me. I will never tell that story to my fiancée, but that ass marked what should have been such a happy memory for me When the idea of having to go talk to a clergy came up, it combined with my time-management stress, and things boiled over.

If it could be a minister in any area of the county, I would have just called my father

Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,708,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I am catholic, but if I was to ever change it would be to either lutheran, methodist, or greek orthodox.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,708,253 times
Quote:
I know a fair bit. Up North, there are several mainline churches which are "accepting". Here in the South? Not so much.

I over-reacted a bit to the assignment originally. Part of it was a recent interaction I had when I was buying engagement rings for me and my new fiancee. A guy in the store overheard and claimed he was a minister and got very up in my face. at one point, I thought he was going to take a swing at me. I will never tell that story to my fiancée, but that ass marked what should have been such a happy memory for me When the idea of having to go talk to a clergy came up, or combined with my time-manager stress, and things boiled over.

If it could be a minister in any area of the county, I would have just called my father
What? And no one messed up your day, you let him! You picked a life style just like I did in a way(not gay but similar experience) so you now have to deal with the fact that some people may not like it...or maybe it's a lack of confidence on your part? I don't know, maybe it's just me but this is not the first story i heard like this, people never talk to me like that, I mean they used to in my early 20s, but not anymore...maybe you are exuding something and that is causing people to react negatively to you?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times
OP, now that you explained, I think I understand and you are not a whiner.

Sorry that guy was so in your face and ruined a good experience for you. That tainted any idea of talking to clergy. I'm not that religious but here in the north there's a lot more religious tolerance than in the south so I can see what you are up against. Good luck with your assignment.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OP, now that you explained, I think I understand and you are not a whiner.

Sorry that guy was so in your face and ruined a good experience for you. That tainted any idea of talking to clergy. I'm not that religious but here in the north there's a lot more religious tolerance than in the south so I can see what you are up against. Good luck with your assignment.
Thanks. Yeah, I've never been approached and threatened like that in my life! It was so disturbing to me. I'm a big guy, but Im not violent at all. I'll leave the story alone for now, as I don't want to go off subject and violate TOS. Thanks for your kind words.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,377,714 times
Quote:
Yeah, a friend just sent me a contact for MCC. I feel better about the assignment. It will take me 5 minutes. My essay project coming due will provide me a better challenge, so Im just looking forward to that. Thanks for the tips and support! People don't realize how alien school is when you go back 20 years later!

This is a joke..........I started college when I was 42 years old and had been out of school since I was 16 and in the work force and I did ALL of my assignments without complaint.

More people than you could imagine know exactly how alien college is after being out of school for 20 or more years, it is nothing new and definitely not a special bulletin news flash with film at 11:00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities